Home Adobe Substance

Using SD to texture a modular level, can I still use vertex painting tools?

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Mant1k0re polycounter lvl 8
Oh noes, another noob question!

So I am almost done with a set of modular pieces to create buildings and I made a few substances that I like to texture them.

I just imported the pieces to Unity 5 and plugged everything to U5 standard shader, it looks great... But now I'm scratching my head trying to figure out how I could get my hands on a shader that would work with .sbsar and support vertex colors so I can blend textures as I do usually with this kind of project.

Any chance someone could point me in the right direction?

Replies

• Mant1k0re
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bump?

If the question doesn't make sense feel free to let me know as well, I won't die from shame or sorrow :)
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    You should be able to plug the sbsar outputs in any kind of shader in Unity. You don't have to use the default material created with the substance.
  • Mant1k0re
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you Jerc, I'll give it a shot today, someone shared a shader with the features I am looking for on this forum.
  • aeonbluestar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aeonbluestar polycounter lvl 3
    For anybody wondering, you can also do the same thing in Unreal Engine. I had that question myself and decided to just try it. Worked like a charm. I created a new master material with the texture channels set to parameters that I could plug the textures that a new substance factory instance would create into.

I figured I would mention it because I found no information on the matter when originally googling it, and googling "vertex painting with substances in Unreal Engine 4" brings up this thread at the top of the list.

Either way, I would imagine it's the same in Unity. Just make a vertex paintable material like you normally would and plug in the textures that substance auto-generates like you would any other texture :)