Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

critique needed for some drawings

I don't know how to upload images yet, so I attached image files in this post.
First one is vector drawing, second is photoshop, third and fourth are pencil drawing.

I've heard many times I should be able to draw before I can achieve anything in 3d,
I CAN draw, and people around me admit that I CAN draw, but they say I lack the artistic sense and I'll remain as amateur forever unless I significantly develop new drawing, painting skills.

am I that bad if I want to start as artist or make some game graphic or even starting 3d graphic? (even after practicing more)

Replies

• Defunct
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Defunct polycounter lvl 10
    You have to use an image hosting site like imgur to post images. copy the image link and use "Image URL". replace "Image URL" with your image link.

Those aren't that bad. You don't need too much skill in 2d to do 3d but it can really help, especially for sculpting. Don't let others stop you from doing 3d Just dig in start messing around with it. I don't know about artistic sense though I'm pretty lost with that too.
  • mignonw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Defunct wrote: »
    You have to use an image hosting site like imgur to post images. copy the image link and use "Image URL". replace "Image URL" with your image link.

Those aren't that bad. You don't need too much skill in 2d to do 3d but it can really help, especially for sculpting. Don't let others stop you from doing 3d Just dig in start messing around with it. I don't know about artistic sense though I'm pretty lost with that too.

thx for the explanation :) I gotta install picasa..

I'm much better at sketching real model or reference image.. Maybe creating illustration from my imagination is not my thing..
  • JamesArk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesArk polycounter lvl 10
    mignonw wrote: »
    I've heard many times I should be able to draw before I can achieve anything in 3d,

Negative. I would bet any amount of money that 50-90% of all 3D artists can't draw anywhere remotely close to a professional level (and that also goes the other way for 2D guys doing 3D). The skill sets are similar, and there is definite overlap and benefit to doing both, but they do not depend on the other and you can be very strong at one without needing the other.

That being said, drawing will 100% make you better at art in general, but if you want to get good at 3D you'll need to do a lot of 3D.

These images are a great start, I find the 2nd one particularly strong. Keep going! But if you want to do 3D, don't focus only on drawing and painting :)