Home General Discussion

Need input on modular character set to sell on asset stores

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
iadagraca polycounter lvl 5
I'm in the progress of making what is essentially a modular character set to sell on a game dev resource store (multiple ones). But I have some questions on what might be prefered.

Here's the concept:

A Male/Female set based on one body type of that gender (Athletic, Slender, Chubby, Muscular) with a range of clothing types (Casual, career, etc), hairstyles and faces. I commonly see packs with a variety of characters but none that give some kind of set up to make your own.

The idea is to make a set where parts can be changed out either in the engine or in a modeling program with fair ease.

This is something I plan to work on in my spare time meanwhile working on other stuff that won't take as long.

A List of the models:

- Body type
-- Figure Model based on outfit
--- Multiple Heads with different Faces
--- Multiple Hair styles
---- Hair/head Accessories (Hats, bows, hair bands, etc)
-- Outfit-type
--- Shirts
--- Over shirt
--- Pants
--- Over pants
--- Shoes/feet
--- Gloves/Hand accessories
--- Back accessories
--- Hip Accessories

The figure model for the set would be based on the outfit to avoid unnecessary geometry (like a full figure model). So for instance a character set featuring varying types of skirts would be different than a set featuring varying types of pants etc.

The UV map would reflect parts of the model and be explicitly assigned for parts. So a section for skin (or body tight textures), section for varying shirt models, section for varying pants models, varying face models, etc.

a PSD file would contain folders with matching ID's for the parts and models. Not only would they include textures but also base images for each like AO maps or gray scale versions of textures for easy customization. Then the multiple parts can be exported as one texture.

I was considering using blender and FBX files for the parts. The blend file would contain the varying parts of the model all completely rigged. The FBX should do the same if imported into Unity or a modeling program. Then simply add or hide the parts you don't need. Granted thats a lot of models in a pack but I can't think of an alternative and know the rigging will work.

I was also considering varying polycount versions too. And of course i would include a guide.

Questions:

How useful would this be to someone who needs varying characters or a main character? Or an artist who needs assets to customize?

Does something like this already exist?

What style would be most useful to an artist or indie/game dev? Handpainted colorful cartoony/semi-real or more realistic? What types of outfits would be more useful?

I'm concerned about "Draw Calls", should I be? And if so what would you suggest I do about the multiple separate models (in the same FBX file)? Should I just include a guide for merging the models for unity?

How necessary are animations and which ones should be included as a standard?

Thanks for the help and let me know if there's any questions I'm missing!