Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hand Painted Axe

Hey all, looking for some feedback on this hand painted axe I've been working on... It's one in a set of hand painted weapons I'm making for my portfolio. The axe is using a single 1024x1024 texture.

Do901Z7.png?1

Replies

• akiratang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    akiratang polycounter lvl 11
    Looks very nice to me!
    I love hand painted textures, has very nice DoTA feel to it.
  • pigart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pigart polycounter lvl 6
    The metal looks a bit like cheese with a lot of holes :/. The cloth on the handle also looks very flat. Other than that good job :)
  • Uberren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Uberren polycounter lvl 11
    I agree with pig about the cheese.
    The spots look too purposefully placed. I would try and make them more subtle and probably increase the amount of them so there's more overlap.

Also, all the cuts on the blade are on the inside edge, aside from the single large geometry gash. For an axe that has such a large battle scar on its main blade, I would expect to see a lot more smaller notches and cuts on the blade's edge.
  • Protar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, I really like it a lot already!

But since you asked for feedback, here it comes =)

1. If the rest of the axe except for the blades should be recognized as metal, I would give them a bit more glossy highlights as well. Same goes fo the end cap at the lower end of the bar.

2. As already mentioned I also think it has a bit too much of a cheese^^ I painted over roughly, to make the dents more subtle. Also blade side could have some more smaller scratches and stuff.

3. I think the dark area between the different layers of cloth should be reduced. At the moment it looks a bit more like thick rubber bands curled around the wooden stick.

M7KZOxh.jpg

Nothing of this is meant as an offense. Just my POV ;) Hope it helped you.
  • CSOConnor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AHH this is great feedback guys, thanks a bunch!

@Protar: No offense at all, I appreaciate the feedback and always welcome a paintover!

I see what you guys are saying, I'll definitely make the blade less pasturized...
    and great point with the big scratch/little scratches, having the small knicks absolutely makes more sense. Much appreciated!
  • pigart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pigart polycounter lvl 6
    Don't be scared to push those highlights and darks. You're painting metal afterall :)

a5oB9Uq.jpg