Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP Skull Practice

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
deohboeh polycounter lvl 5
Ni7JgWx.jpg

One hour skull sculpt. I'm not too happy with it. Any critique is much appreciated! :D

Replies

• Bombshell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bombshell polycounter lvl 10
    this is just something I find in any artistic medium, which helps with both learning and design itself, don't be afraid to go to extremes, a lot of subtleties you'll see in an image, aren't all that subtle.
    Deepen the nazal cavity, widen the teeth at meeting, narrow the teeths root, make the eye balls bigger, the recesses around the sockets deeper, the cheek bones thicker. Not all of these are completely physically accurate critiques, but, hitting these extremes give you a better idea of what looks interesting, what looks physically right and what looks plain wrong.
    That said, get lots of sources, make lots of skills from those sources, 2D practice will also build fundamental understandings that you can translate into 3D sculpting, oh and use a smaller subdivision level, the more detail you can fit into the smaller subdivision level the easier working on finer details will be.
  • deohboeh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the reply! I worked on it for another hour and used reference this time.

nVXcMoL.jpg

Skull: 2hrs
  • axxic3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I would separate the lower jaw into it's own subtool, then work on cutting the spaces between the jaw and upper portion of the skull. Nasal area looks much better.
  • deohboeh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    axxic3 wrote: »
    I would separate the lower jaw into it's own subtool, then work on cutting the spaces between the jaw and upper portion of the skull. Nasal area looks much better.

Thanks for the reply Axxic3! I did just that this time. :)

jVZQh9s.jpg
    Skull 3.5 hrs
  • deohboeh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finally finished the skull or at least this is where I leave it for now till I come back to it later.

arJRG9M.jpg

Skull: 5hrs
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Looks good! Encouraging to see this anatomy study.