Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Old French City Street [UE4]

I started modeling some Victorian-looking houses/French stores for a small street environment I want to make in UE4. I was inspired partially by Bioshock Infinite's Paris and Assassin's Creed Unity, but I'm planning to make it my own style and only model 4-5 houses to keep the scope pretty small.

My WIP models:

cCCwKPm.png

ybDQJKD.png

jaa8LPp.png

gTjwqFv.png

Inspirations:

?format=1500w

n4PUQbb.jpg

A1oGwL92M%2BL._SL1500_.jpg

apartment-clean-looking-for-apartments-looking-for-apartment-for-rent-in-ozone-park-looking-for-apartment-for-rent-in-toronto-looking-for-apartment-for-rent-in-makati-looking-for-apartment-for.jpg

Thanks for any C&C's! :)

Replies

• Veezen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Veezen polycounter lvl 9
    These buildings looks nice :) I can't wait to see some textures on it.
  • mollsie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you, Veezen!

An update with my progress so far. I modeled some props and a couple more buildings, and set everything up in engine (UE4). I haven't UV'd or light-mapped anything yet so the lighting in the in-engine shots look wonky right now.

tdd4d0Z.png

1WFiwyR.png

2jiEdvr.jpg

o3QaDsV.jpg
  • BasicallyNormal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BasicallyNormal polycounter lvl 7
    This is coming along really nice! All you need is something to break up the street.
  • mollsie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you, BasicallyNormal! I completely agree :)
  • Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    oh this is going to be goooood :)
  • StraightDraw84
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StraightDraw84 polycounter lvl 9
    Looking really slick right now, continue!
  • DanielR17
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DanielR17 polycounter lvl 7
    Hello,

I really like where this is going. But it seems the road is very bumpy in the middle. It should be a bit more flat. And you should check the height of the streetlights, I have the feeling that they are taller in reality. Just something that caught my attention.
    Keep it up!
  • PolyDjent
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyDjent polycounter lvl 5
    Nice work there so far! I agree with DanielR17 with the bumpiness of the road. Also, i'm pretty sure u could benefit from some tall distant buildings in the background which can help break up the silhouette and provide more depth to the scene. Cheers ;)
  • mollsie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you guys for all your comments and crits!

DanielR17 - Thank you very much! I made the road less bumpy and fixed the height of the streetlights (it was bothering me too).

Maydream3d - I really did want to add a clock tower or something like it in the distance, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to get to it, so I added some other buildings and rooftops to break up the silhouette and add depth as you mentioned :) Thank you!

Here's my progress! I'm probably around 85% done overall, I still want to fix up the cobblestone road texture, add plants (the ones in there now are stand-in), make a wooden cart to break up the street, and add more grunge. I'm trying to get all those things done in the next few days before GDC.

If the scene seems smaller, it's because I narrowed the street and pulled in the buildings on either side because it felt too wide.

1Am2OAe.png

ZhPWEJ7.png

dmx8nG3.png

Thanks for looking!
  • mollsie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have to call this environment done for now, because I'm heading out for GDC tomorrow. I got everything I wanted finished except for adding in the carts. If the shadowy side of the street looks like it's lacking grunge, it's because decals don't work in shadows in UE4 version 4.6.1, haha.

Comments and critique are very much appreciated!

MRgXcnW.png

lhyDo0I.png

Utzr0Ft.png

0fuprQ5.png

rzeTklL.png

Thanks for looking!
  • Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    Awesome work!

I'm not sure what's causing it but for some reason it feels like the scale is just slightly off, like the whole scene is at a tad shrunken scale. I don't really get that feeling until the very last image. I'm going to assume it might be the rather large width of the sidewalk textures in comparison to things like the support beams on the porches. (the lines/cracks that divide the sidewalk looks like it would be about the width of a third the thin support pillars on the porch.) Call me crazy, but maybe it's just a matter of scaling down the sidewalk slightly.

That coupled with the plant pots being as tall as the porch steps, even though technically there probably are potted planters that large, doesn't help with making the scale more believable since it's a rather arbitrary object for scale. (If that makes any sense) What could help with that could be as simple as a couple of duplicated smaller plants that could be placed on a step or two. Basically introducing any type of object that's pretty standard in size not matter the type could help with the "feeling" of scale, such as trashcans/littered pieces of standard-sized computer paper or newspapers, soda cans/beer bottles, newspaper machines, mail boxes, etc.

Basically something that's mid to small sized and is more standard across a wide range of manufacturers than buildings/plants/lampposts/etc as all of those can vary quite alot in size. You have a few of those in the other shots which is probably why the last one is the only one that bothers me.

My other comment atm is it would be great if you could nudge the building back a little bit so it's not overlapping the front part of the sidewalk path (the very front of the steps and the half-circle extrusion of windows are running over the gap by a couple of inches which looks awkward)

My last suggestion for final touches would be maybe to explore a couple of different skyboxes, or introduce some clouds in the sky. Right now it's a bit too clear/empty a space, especially in conjunction to your very detailed scene. A couple of atmospheric clouds could be that last thing that ties it all together.

Other than those minor quibbles I'm loving the varied architectural elements and overall composition! Great job! :D
  • mollsie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you so much for the crits Deathstick, you hit the nail on the head with all your points. I was trying to figure out why the scale in the last image looked off. And I thought the skybox seemed kinda empty too, but wondered if anyone else would think so, haha. I plan to make all the fixes you mentioned once I get back from GDC :) Thank you!
  • macoll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    macoll polycounter lvl 13
    mollsie wrote: »
    it's because decals don't work in shadows in UE4 version 4.6.1, haha.

See the link for explanations on decals in shadows and in GI (cause there were also problems to see decals without direct lighting)

https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/25508/decals-not-rendered-without-direct-lighting.html -> i think it will help you ;)

Cool scene you have, gj i like the mood :thumbup:
  • mollsie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you macoll! I tried out the methods from that thread to get the decals in the shadows to work, but none of them ended up working, so I had to move on. It was worth a shot, though!

I took all the critiques I got on here and at GDC and finished up my environment. Here are the final shots:

sRgIe0E.png

Sl8r630.png

dqkDVCd.png

h4TBKio.png

K57KvXz.png

Thanks for looking! Comments and critique are much appreciated! :)
  • mhofever
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mhofever polycounter lvl 9
    I think the cobble street needs to be tiled a bit more, that's probably causing the issue of the scene scale looking weird. Also add some crates next to the barrow, someone's probably offloading some goods to a store owner. When you look at AC Unity, there's always some stuff on the ground like clutter or wood chunks but of course it depends on if this street area is more posh or if it's the less wealthy side of town.

You got everything set up here but I think you should give dynamic lighting a go (Light Propagation), I've tried it myself and it gives some wonderous results in the latest iteration of UE4. I guarantee with that, you're scene'll look much more polished with the global illumination and all.

Good work!
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Epic Games developed a new dynamic global illumination system for their Fortnite game and the GDC Kite demo.

I don't know how much LPV has changed or addressed the many problems associated with it (i.e, it doesn't work with translucent objects, and it produces very bad artifacts on thin geometry).

I'd personally wait for the newer GI system but it's up to you.
  • altermind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    altermind polycounter lvl 5
    the scale of the textures and models are all wrong. textures are to large.. and the models are squashed
  • mollsie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @mhofever I see what you mean about the street's cobblestone being kinda large, I think you're right about it causing a bit of a scale issue. Also I considered making some milk crates or something along the lines of that, so I may just go back and do that :) I was thinking of this area as a bit of a touristy old town, so it wouldn't have a lot of the broken bits and clutter that ACU has (even though I love those details in the game).

I do have the scene set up with global illumination, but I could definitely do more research on all that and play with the lighting some more to see if I can get it any better. If there are some big new UE4 lighting updates coming up, I may wait a little bit before I leap into that, like JordanN said.

@altermind I'm not sure what you mean besides the cobblestones being a bit large, but if you look at my references of older towns, they have pretty petite buildings. I also scaled everything with the correct proportions in Maya to a normal human, as shown in a couple screenshots.

Thank you guys for your crits and feedback! They're very much appreciated.
  • kunalht
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kunalht polycounter lvl 2