Home General Discussion

As far as indie games go what kinds of characters are in demand?

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
iadagraca polycounter lvl 5
I'm going to work on some characters for an online store for indie games, i'm wondering what kinds of characters might be in demand?

Tall full body characters? Short more chibi style ones?

Certain occupations or styles?

Replies

• Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    Can't go wrong with knights... and goofy animals.
  • SpaceRogue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpaceRogue polycounter lvl 3
    No idea about styles sorry. My guess would be realism.

Survival games seem to be all around my Steam page, so I gather more 'outdoor' and rough looks ?

Thers also the current zombie fad going on, but who knows how long that is going to last since its been around a few years now. I also think people would appreciate normally dressed/proportionate female characters, but that could be a long shot.

Just my 2 cents, good luck with your shop !
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    mobile/lowpoly stuff definitely.
  • iadagraca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SpaceRogue wrote: »
    I also think people would appreciate normally dressed/proportionate female characters, but that could be a long shot.

This was my first idea and what I'm best at so I might just do this and see how it goes.

@Fuiosg Goofy animals? That could be interesting, especially if hand painted.

@lotet yeah that was my plan. perhaps contain two versions in one pack? mid poly and low poly?
  • MikeF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF polycounter lvl 19
    Whatever you decide on, big points for rigging and animation sets. Those always surface to the top of the unity asset lists
  • iadagraca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MikeF wrote: »
    Whatever you decide on, big points for rigging and animation sets. Those always surface to the top of the unity asset lists

Usually I see FBX files, those usually don't include the full rig don't they?

I don't really have experience in animation though, might try some simple ones.
  • Norron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Norron polycounter lvl 13
    Usually if they're advertised as rigged they'll have a complete biped rig with controls, weights, and everything in the FBX. Basically the more complete a model you can present the more useful it is to more people.
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    The character proportions should be suited towards the game you want to make.

There is an audience for any conceivable character, and you can choose ones with more popularity, but it has more to do with overall quality than the base level choice of chibi vs realistic.