Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Looking for feedback :)

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Crazy_pixel interpolator
Hey Polycounters,

I am currently working on a scifi Police officer and I need new fresh eyes for my texture work :D feedback and critiques are very welcome.

police_officer_12.jpg

Replies

• Deforges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deforges polycounter lvl 11
    5175268e34.jpg

Good job. The most I think you'll get here is stuff to play around with.

I think the overall color scheme and materials are drab at the moment. You really could play with making the visor a lighter with an intense specularity (which can be difficult working with future materials in terms of a metalness map if your using that). In fact, most artists who use visors in sci fi either have a dark visor with an intense whites or colors on the suit or vice versa.

b2204e572dd3d4c903796487073d9701.jpg
    light colored armor with dark visor

tumblr_mqruuh5rGM1qe8ju4o8_1280.jpg
    Dark armor with light visor

with your medium tones it puts you in a weird place.

I would try making the hard plastic parts more bone looking and turn the gloss down for them so they stand out against the suit. You should also consider placing more police decals on the plastic parts as they will stand out more than the markings on the skin suit.

I don't think the copper zipper goes well with the suit, I painted over it to be silver but that's more a personal taste.

Also, turn up the color on those grenades!

great job on the model and mat definition, keep it up <3
  • Crazy_pixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crazy_pixel interpolator
    Thanks Deforges for your helpful feedback :)
    Here is a update..

police_officer_13.jpg
  • Joltya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joltya polycounter lvl 10
    I don't know if it's just me, but when I first looked at the model, I thought it was a male. It was only until I noticed the breasts that I realized the model is supposed to be female. What we can see of the jaw looks particularly masculine to me.

It could just be, however, that a lot of female sculpts on here really exaggerate the form, and that's what I'm used to seeing, so you might just want to take that with a grain of salt unless someone who knows anatomy more than me says the same thing.
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    i think changing the colors would go a long way. if you take a such special approach on uniform , other elements have to remain even more traditional to counteract that (to have enough of which is relatable remain), so I would choose a dark / blue-ish police like sheme with some blue and red maybe gold accents, something that speaks authority by going bold
  • Deforges
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deforges polycounter lvl 11
    I also think you'd have a lot of fun trying different color schemes to see if you like something over another.

896ba1b3c8.jpg
  • Crazy_pixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crazy_pixel interpolator
    yeah new input :)

@Joltya
    Yes, she has strong proportions instead of a soft female body, but that's O.K. because she is a Officer and not a sexy police chick :D

@Deforges, Shrike
    Your ideas are not bad :) I will give her a few more color versions :thumbup:
  • Stirls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    I'm really liking it! Have you tried brighter colour schemes, or adding some brighter decals in there?
  • DanielR17
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DanielR17 polycounter lvl 7
    Hi,
    As Joltya, at first sight I also thought that this could be a male model, but it has a lot to do with the helmet, and probaly the colors, not the body, which clearly suggest a female. So the only thing you could try if you wanted to change this impression would be to think of a more feminine helmet. Less large, more curvy, I don't know :)

Other than that, I think it's a very good work. I love her back !
  • Crazy_pixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crazy_pixel interpolator
    Thanks for more comments :thumbup:

@Stirls
    thanks and yes I played with brighter colours, but I didn't like the results.

@DanielR17
    Thank you for the kind words, I love her butt... I mean back too :D

O.K. I made a new version and I'm quite happy with the result.
    police_officer_15.jpg

Next I start modeling her motorcycle :D
  • Joel Gafford
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joel Gafford polycounter lvl 9
    I really like the color change that you made, and I think that the cyan color accent is really nice. In fact, I think you should make the cyan accent more visible and in a few more places such as the chest area to emphasize the fact the character is a female, but don't go overboard :P

I agree that the helmet looks pretty masculine. I think this is because the two black pieces that touch her chin make her jawline appear to hard. I think those pieces should be done away with, and you should also give her a slight smile. :)

Great job, though, I really like your form language.
  • Joltya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joltya polycounter lvl 10
    Oh yah that color looks much better on her. For some reason that makes the model a lot easier to read.

I also really like the checker patterns you added to the armor. That also sells the fact that she's a police officer, where as before, my first impression was some random space soldier person.

This model is looking really awesome dude!
  • Crazy_pixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crazy_pixel interpolator
    Thanks Joel Gafford and Joltya :)
    A slight smile sounds good, I'll see what I can do.

Oh and if you are interested, I made a closeup of her weapons, maybe I should give her gun a little bit more details.
    weapon_closeup.jpg
  • Stirls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    That's a kickass piece of art. Nice work man!!
  • Crazy_pixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crazy_pixel interpolator