Home Technical Talk

UV copy bug in 3ds Max 2015?

Hey guys. I'm trying to figure out why 3ds max 2015 (not sure about other versions) gives me this weird thing when I try to copy UVs from one mesh to another. The second mesh is an exact copy. Either by "save-load" or by copying modifier, it's all the same. It makes the mesh look like this:

4x0Cocl.png

UVs are in the needed place, but this flat poly thing is bugging me out.
Smoothing groups etc doesn't help. The map on the screen is in diffuse channel, but that doesn't matter because marmoset gives same weird error too. The only way to battle this stuff is to delete all uvs from editable mesh or copy uvs through uv listener (which doesn't always help).

If anybody knows what's up with that, I'd appreciate any help.

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The vertex numbering is different between the two meshes. In order for copy/paste UVs to work the meshes need to be identical. They don't need to be in the same shape, but they do need to have the same number of verts, edges, faces AND those verts need to be numbered the same.

So on one mesh, vert1 might be in the face, but on the other mesh it's in the foot. When you copy/paste UV's it goes by the vertex numbering so the face UV gets moved to the foot.

There is a script called "Morphix" that will make the vertex numbering of one mesh match the other, so long as they are identical in vert count. It's an ancient script but it worked great the last time I used it in 3dsmax 2014.

http://www.scriptspot.com/3ds-max/scripts/morphix

I have no clue why autodesk doesn't have an out of the box way of handling this but I'm glad the script exists.
  • spacefrog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacefrog polycounter lvl 15
    You also could project the UV's using the projection modifier. Should work pretty good in that case because it's the same topology ...
  • Ahoburg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, Morphix worked like a charm