Home Technical Talk

3DS Max Shift Extrude/Extend+Maya Mode Selection?

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Fomori polycounter lvl 12
I recently switched to the Maya hotkey navigation in 3DS Max to have more consistency between applications. Which meant I had to change to "Maya Mode Selection" for the mouse as Alt is used to rotate the view instead of deselect.

But Shift+extrude/extend from open edges no longer works with Maya mode selection (Shift+drag to copy as well). I can't find this operation anywhere in UI Customise to assign it to a different hotkey.

Has anybody been able to modify this hotkey command or use Shift+extrude/extend with Maya mode selection?

It also seems you can't change the selection keys beyond default or Maya style?

Replies

• monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    This is a long standing issue. This post is from 2012 has the same question: http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/3ds-max-3ds-max-design-general/maya-interaction-model-in-3ds-max-2013-losing-the-shift-function/td-p/4260654

I think, the best thing is to just use Max style navigation and selection. Sorry. Maybe someone else has a better solution.
  • Nox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nox polycounter lvl 5
    Max style navigation is unusable unless you have iron fingers. I use ahk to enable S based navigation ala xsi.
  • Fomori
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    I cry!
    Thanks for the replies anyway. The should really introduce proper customisation of mouse and selection control.
  • FelixL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FelixL polycounter lvl 4
    If you're willing to use max 2012 or below, you can use switcher for true maya style navigation. Much better if you use a pen.

https://draster.com/component/page,shop.product_details/flypage,software-flypage/product_id,18/option,com_virtuemart/
  • Pixelbear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just uncheck this sucker.

mms.jpg
  • WesleyTack
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WesleyTack polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks for this! I just ran into this issue, fixed it :)
  • voronov.art
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    voronov.art polycounter lvl 10
    I wish someone could write a script or plugin to bind Shift Clone ability to another shortcut (Ctrl+Shift for example) so we could use Maya navigation and still be able to use edge clone feature. Why Autodesk won't do this?!
  • Rav3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rav3 interpolator
    I wish someone could write a script or plugin to bind Shift Clone ability to another shortcut (Ctrl+Shift for example) so we could use Maya navigation and still be able to use edge clone feature. Why Autodesk won't do this?!

I think that's solution =) [ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9jxZ5lLu2A[/ame]
  • commador
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    commador polycounter lvl 14
    Pixelbear wrote: »
    Just uncheck this sucker.

mms.jpg

This works for using shift for edge extrusion, but then you lose the ability to deselect things because alt no longer functions for that tool.

Its really dumb. You can have one thing working properly, or the other. "Deselect" is not an option in the keyboard shortcuts that can be changed. Nor is the tool that shift is bound to for edge extrusion. I've spent waaaay too much time trying to solve this without 3rd party tools. It is quite frankly ridiculous.
  • Avis Para.doc's
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avis Para.doc's polycounter lvl 9
    commador wrote: »
    This works for using shift for edge extrusion, but then you lose the ability to deselect things because alt no longer functions for that tool.

Its really dumb. You can have one thing working properly, or the other. "Deselect" is not an option in the keyboard shortcuts that can be changed. Nor is the tool that shift is bound to for edge extrusion. I've spent waaaay too much time trying to solve this without 3rd party tools. It is quite frankly ridiculous.

yep it's true. The work around that issue is to use Ctrl+I (Invert selection) function to select components/objects you wish to deselect and then again invert selection. Other way is to drag selection border stop it then press Alt and then release selection border, thats working too but not so fast like first method.
    Currently I'm working like that about a year now. On my full time job we use maya and for my personal projects I prefer Max and it pretty usable in that way.
  • rollin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rollin polycounter
    I guess there is still no trick / hack available? Was going to ask how to fix this.
    I'm trying to use one camera navigation mode through all the programs and the Maya style is kind of a standard nowadays. But I use shift-copy and shift-extrude a lot (super feature! 8) ) and the invert-deselect thing is kind of time consuming in the long run.
  • EJtheArtist
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EJtheArtist polycounter lvl 8
    So I've submitted that there is no way around it other than taking on some of max's controls. My method to keeping select/deselect and shift extrude is following the methods in this video, changing arc rotate from alt+lmb to just mmb, and just submitting to using ctrl and alt to select/deselect things. It isn't too bad once you get used to it. But I could see if you were going back a forth between both applications how this would be annoying. Best of luck.
  • Democaliber
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Democaliber polycounter lvl 4
    MouseConfigManager.MayaSelectionMode = not MouseConfigManager.MayaSelectionMode

Make that into a button and you can toggle Maya Mode Selection on and off. I keep it off all the time unless I'm shift cloning, in which case I toggle it off, make my duplication(s), then toggle it back on. Cheers! It lets you use Max exactly as you would use Maya offers you a way to keep the shift duplication on demand.
  • SergioSantos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SergioSantos polycounter lvl 13
    My advice is to use Max navigation,
    Maya navigation not only breaks Cloning, Extrude and Deselection,
    it also breaks the ALT+RMB quad, which is very useful too

• LeifDahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LeifDahl polycounter lvl 7

Make that into a button and you can toggle Maya Mode Selection on and off. I keep it off all the time unless I'm shift cloning, in which case I toggle it off, make my duplication(s), then toggle it back on. Cheers! It lets you use Max exactly as you would use Maya offers you a way to keep the shift duplication on demand.

Thank you! That's exactly what I was looking for, works beautifully!
  • IB123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IB123 null
    LeifDahl said:

how do i make the button im new to 3ds max. I've just transitioned from Maya. I'm already getting annoyed of having to manually checking and unchecking the maya mode selection.

Edit: Nevermind. i figured it out. it works great!
  • IB123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IB123 null
    LeifDahl said:

@LeifDahl @Democaliber how do i make the button. im new to 3ds max. I'v just transitioned from maya.
  • IB123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IB123 null
    LeifDahl said:

@LeifDahl @Democaliber how do i make the button. im new to 3ds max. I'v just transitioned from maya.
  • tukor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tukor null
    After months, i think i finally think i found a FIX for this.... 
    Im now using 3Ds Max, and i can navigate like Maya (alt click to rotate and such), i can drag click to clone etc, and i can deselect things.

See my video (crappy video) with fix  here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTL0BuWasJ0&feature=youtu.be
  • Tzur_H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tzur_H polycounter lvl 9
    @tukor gonna give this a go!  thanks for sharing dude :]
  • StraightDraw84
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StraightDraw84 polycounter lvl 9
    Anyone find a awesome fix for this via a script or something?
  • MnemenT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MnemenT polycounter lvl 6
    2020 Still interesting) Is there any solution for this problem?
  • Juvi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

You have to just uncheck Maya mode selection on customize user interface. ( See the imagen below ) 
    3ds max 2022 have the same problem.