Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Zombard's 2D theater

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Zombard polycounter lvl 6
Hello Polycount ! My name is Zombard and I'm finally participating here after a long time of watching.
I'm aiming to work in the game industry but I feel like I'm not practicing enough and that I could be a lot better with some bonus motivation and feedback, so welcome to you, please comment on what you like and tell me how you feel !

I recently started to work in smaller canvas because sometimes when it's to big I dont finish it, but i'll go bigger and bigger.

Here is the firt one, I 've got a somehow personal project where there is a bad wizard and was wondering what would it look like to fail an elemental spell, like if you're aiming to the fire but you cast it instead in the cooking pot, so here you go, the mighty soup golem

Abc69eE.jpg

More coming soon ! Stay in your seats :)

Replies

• Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    Very cool! Fun design and nice colors/rendering for the style you have.

The only critique I can see is the soup looks a bit odd to me. Maybe it's just being so light and saturated it just looks wrong as soup/chili?

Anyways, looking forward to your future pieces! :)
  • Zombard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zombard polycounter lvl 6
    Thank you ! For the soup I can assure you I can make some carrot soup with the same color ;p

Now I worked a little bit more on the rendering, and tried a portrait, someting simple.
    I find the face quite smooth with a lack of expression, but hey it's like my first portrait.

mpdhyFl.jpg

More coming soon !
  • Avanthera
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Avanthera polycounter lvl 10
    Hey Zombard

Interesting colors. What's with the french and their pretty color schemes? :) The only thing is it would be nice to have more warm/cool play in between the lit/unlit sides. It doesn't have to be bold, just a touch of grey might do the job.

If it's your first portrait, I'd suggest to find some reference to help with lighting/placement, etc.

The mouth on the girl is tapering off into the distance, but it looks like it's applied to a flat plane. Mouths are wrapped around the teeth, so it's almost like line wrapped around a ball, there would be curvature, and some of the mouth obstructed from view due to this.

The left eye also suffers from this, it is tapered into perspective, but it doesn't look like the eyelids are wrapped around an eyeball, more like a sticker on a flat surface.

Very good for a first portrait. I hope the critique helps!