Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Telltale-style Serenity

Meloncov
greentooth
Offline / Send Message
Meloncov greentooth
First pass at Serenity's fore hallway in Telltale's style.

k3XoTcP.jpg

Replies

• Tony Green
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tony Green polycounter lvl 6
  • Biomag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag sublime tool
    Makes me miss Serenity even more.

Keep working - and get us a Telltale Serenity game. Make me happy.
  • Meloncov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meloncov greentooth
    Thanks Tony, Biomag.

I think it's getting close to done:
    v2JHd7b.jpg
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    A lot of environment work is the last 20%, the polish stuff. It seems like you're lacking that.

Few quick comments:

-It's really dark. I can't see much of the ground or walls.
    -The values are sort of all blending together. One thing I would say is try this: http://blog.environmentartist.com/?p=1127 I did an extreme example in the image.
    -Not really sure what style you're going for. If there is ink outlines it's really hard to notice since it's dark. I'm not sure inkoutlines on Serenity really is a fit. I would say match the style to the piece. Not the other way around.
    -Textures all feel a bit flat. They have color but lack a lot of detail in them. Go in and put more contrast in the textures, wear/grime/dirt, etc.
    -Where is the focus going with the lighting? Right now I'm looking at the left blue hatch thing and the back yellow door and those lights on the right. Pick one.
    -You have large and medium shapes modeled in but are lacking small shapes. Think of smaller things (hoses, panels, wires, etc) to add shape variety (things like the lights on the right).
    -What is the story going on with this? Try to tell a story with your work. Was there a fight and someone stormed out.
    -Not sure if you're using an engine but if you are look into post process stuff. It might help pull everything together.

I did a paint over to visualize some of the points (paint overs help me a ton). It's not all the points. But hopefully it'll help. The value adjustment on the walls I did is a bit extreme. Just trying to prove a point.

MeloncovSerenityPO.gif

Anyways cool stuff. Keep going with this. Be cool to see it when you get the last 20% in there.
  • Meloncov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meloncov greentooth
    Tweaked lighting and composition along the lines Jeff suggested. I'll add more modeled and texture details tomorrow.

P4EwJvL.jpg
  • Meloncov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meloncov greentooth
    Thanks, DKK.

Added some modeled details, and reworked the shadow UVs to fix some problems:

wbmpqlH.jpg
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    awesome idea indeed, concentrate on composition and lighting as everything is really flat now lacking materials
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    a firefly adventure would indeed be pretty cool, looking forward to your final images!
  • atomander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    atomander polycounter lvl 7
    As a fan of both Firefly and TTG, pretty excited to see this come together! I'd love to see some "environmental storytelling" with more specific props and stuff going on in the scene. (Add a little Jubal Early floating outside a window?)
  • Meloncov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Meloncov greentooth
    Ok, added some details and tweaked the lighting to help with composition. Might be done now? I might add a few more modeled details.

9BS4C6s.jpg