Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Shelter - UDK

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Ootrick polycounter lvl 6
Last and final project in UDK. Started this about a year ago before starting a new contract and never finished. I think i'm calling it quits so I can finally move into UE4 Fully.

-First time working with foliage and an Outdoor scene
-Focus on lighting and environment effects
-Improve hard surface texturing

VIDEO
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTsO0h9EbX0"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yTsO0h9EbX0[/ame]

CAwR36D.jpg
1DJRBxi.png
Iz6YlQZ.png
64.jpg
hWWwD8O.png

Replies

• MaccyF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the way you've done the leaves on the silver birches, but the trunks look like they could do with a few more poly's to get it looking a bit more natural: the trunks should be more bendy and thin. jeff-howell_1863867b.jpg

I like your hard surfaces, could you show us the spec and normal maps for the robot?

Also, there's nothing to give the image any sense of scale: to my eyes, the robot could be anything from 7 feet tall to 37.
  • Ootrick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The scale comment is very useful. In the concept there a silhouette of a man holding his hands out by the fire. I think I'll need to include this to gather greater interest and help scale.
  • ghaztehschmexeh
    I like the idea! It feels a bit bland at the moment though. I think maybe a bit more contrast in the lighting might help? Make the fire light more prominent and make the rest a bit darker.
  • Ootrick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll boost the contrast between the two :) Thanks!
  • JustGarry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JustGarry polycounter lvl 4
    Can you post the concept you are using to give us some reference. Also I find it strange when you say your not doing any more modelling for this scene, unless your just posting for props and not trying to improve anything, I also think the trunks could do with some love, and it wouldn't take too long to add a couple of edge loops.
  • Ootrick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's a scene I've been playing with the the past year, I'm a little over it. However I will be adding it to the portfolio so taking more time to improve won't hurt. Concept posted. It's not to the T.
  • JustGarry
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JustGarry polycounter lvl 4
    To be honest, the scene wouldn't miss much without the trees, might even make it look more of a cliffside surface than with them, so you could consider losing them as they are pulling the scene down a little right now. I know what you mean about getting fed up of a scene, but this has the potential to be a really nice portfolio piece. Have you considered porting the scene to UE4, just a suggestion though I haven't tried porting anything too big yet.
  • Ootrick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    But the trees were so fun to make! and the peeling bark flaps in the wind... I wish I was kidding. I'll fix up the trees and have them work into the scene better.
    I have considered but a port would require re rigging the entire wind/sky cycle, all of the environmental effects and obviously the prop placement. I rather invest time into making a new scene.

Video uploaded!
  • MaccyF
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ootrick wrote: »
    The scale comment is very useful. In the concept there a silhouette of a man holding his hands out by the fire. I think I'll need to include this to gather greater interest and help scale.

I certainly would, The concept you posted has more of a feeling of immensity, but obviously it's your choice :)