Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Stylized Head Sculpt

DGB
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
DGB polycounter lvl 7
Haven't done a humanoid sculpt in a while, so I though I'd get in some practice with a quick head sculpt. Decided to have a bit of fun, too, and try to do a stylized head a-la Clone Wars.

Critiques very much welcome!

head_sculpt.jpg

Replies

• Crazy_pixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crazy_pixel interpolator
    He could be a stylized version of Patrick Steward :D
    I think, it would be interesting, if you give his main hair a little bit more volume.
  • KustomZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KustomZero polycounter lvl 6
    I like that sculpt very much and i agree with crazy_pixel. The hair need more Volume. Do you plan to also do the rest of him or make at least a bust?
  • DGB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DGB polycounter lvl 7
    Much obliged, you guys! Yeah, I need to do something more with the hair or leave it out entirely and focus on the rest of the sculpt.

This week I'm doing some low-poly stuff for work, so this was just going to be a throwaway sculpt for funzies and to get back into character work. I ended up spending close to two hours on it, so I'm definitely to come back to this come Monday. I do like the idea of doing a full bust, and painting it up real nice as well, as it'll give me some additional practice doing clothing.
  • DGB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DGB polycounter lvl 7
    head_sculpt_quarter1.jpg

head_sculpt_front1.jpg

head_sculpt_profile1.jpg

-Slid the ear back (thanks for catching that, by the way, DKK!) and eased up that transition between the side of the head and face.

-Also played around the hair a little bit as well, so it's got an angled ridge in the middle. Might take it or leave it, though.

-Puffed up the cheekbones and changed the lines around the eyes, as I found I didn't like what was happening with those originally.

-Added a neck and basic cloth for the bust. still working with the neck for proportions until I merge it with the head. Need to find more references for Starfleet uniforms.

Not sure about the eyebrows; in the style references for Clone Wars I've been using, the brows seem to be plush against the head or else are just painted on.

Some of my references below. Found this great profile shot of Stewart a while back - need to look around for that.

references.jpg
  • DGB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DGB polycounter lvl 7
    head_sculpt_front21.jpg

Taking another pass at the uniform - collar was giving me grief. Also switched back the hair to a more uniform mass with a poly-painted texture, as I want this sculpt to look like Star Trek TNG done over in Clone Wars style.

I can't seem to get the edges as crisp as I want them, and using the pinch tool and other brushes distorts the sharper contours ever-so-slightly. I may retopologize the mesh with a Z-Sphere to better refine the edge quality or else take it into another program altogether where I can edit the edges directly, though if anyone out there knows of other methods, I'm all ears.

Much obliged, all!
  • DGB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DGB polycounter lvl 7
    head_sculpt3.jpg
    Had some time to work on this today - fixed the collar, finally. This week I'll do some touch-ups and throw some colors on there.
  • Joltya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joltya polycounter lvl 10
    Dig this so much. Can't wait to see it finished! It feels like the eyes are a bit to wide for my liking, but that's probably the style you're going for.
  • DGB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DGB polycounter lvl 7
    head_sculpt4.jpg

Threw on some base colors and played around with the face some more, especially around the eyes, cheeks and chin. Plus, took the uniform through retopo. to get a cleaner mesh. Me and the crease tool are like *this* now.

Good call on the eyes, Jolt, thanks - looked at the screens again and thought: damn - need to tweak those peepers! I looked at Clone Wars references again and it looks like the eyes are closer to real-life proportions than I realized.
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Nice work here!

I think the neck looks too thick from the side, especially considering how thin it looks from the front. The corner of the jaw also looks too sharp, even for a stylized look.

I'd work on the materials some more, now that youve added color, this shader isn't working for the skin parts. The blacks are way too black, to be on human skin.

I really like the progress tho, keep it up!
  • DGB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DGB polycounter lvl 7
    headsculpt_41.jpg

Much obliged for the tips, Brad! something about the neck was bugging me and after looking at it again, the jaw was sharper than it needed to be. I also changed the jawline to be less straight-edged as a whole - in addition to some minor tweaks to the face and hair. Ended up scrapping the eyelids and modeling them on as separate subtools.

I've played with the shaders some and lightened things up as well. I want to get as close to the Clone Wars look as I can. Still need to add pores or something to the skin, however,and continue working on the uniform. I may need to slice part of the cheek off to get rid of that strip running down the side of the face.
  • Crazy_pixel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crazy_pixel interpolator
    Very nice progress, I like his facial expression :)

Maybe you reduce his body a little bit, like a roman bust is the head the main atraction. I made a paintover to show you what I mean.
    example.jpg
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Nice progress man! I agree with pixel on that crit. Keep going!
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    This is pretty cool man...i like your progress through this. There appear to be some anatomical issues on the head, esp from the side view. I did a quick PO, not perfect, but some adjustments to show you what I mean. Just my opinion...back of the head to the neck is too high and extreme, ear appears too low, chin mouth area feels a little low and too extended forward. Again, with a likeness, this could effect the look so adjust these while still trying to maintain the likeness from other angles. I just went with what is anatomically correct.

stylized%20head%20fix.jpg
  • DGB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DGB polycounter lvl 7
    WIP

headsculpt5.jpg

@Slosh; Thanks, man! Your paint-over was much appreciated! The profile view feels much improved.

@Crazy Pixel, BradMyers; Good call guys - I cut off a large portion of the uniform and I think the smaller uniform section works much better. Put more weight on the bust's left to break up the symmetry.

-Eyelids were still bothering me so I played around with those. Still some tweaking to do with the eye shape, I think.
    -Worked some the polypaint for the skin.
    -Did some work around the lower half of the face - not 100% happy with it, so I'll tweak it more this week.
    -Polypaint for the uniform to exaggerate the light and dark areas more.
  • DGB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DGB polycounter lvl 7
    headsculpt6.jpg

headsculpt6profile.jpg

-Top of the skull had odd slope to it, so I made it more rounded.
    -The mouth height and lower half of the face were bothering me so I took another pass at that.
  • DGB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DGB polycounter lvl 7
    headsculpt_7.jpg

Gotten to the point where I'm just endlessly tweaking stuff to see what works, so I'm gonna call this one done before I go crazier. I'll pick it back up on a later date, but now I'm moving on to a new project with a more concrete goal in mind.

Much obliged to everyone who put in their two cents on this one. If anyone's got any last words, don't be shy - with luck, it'll make future projects that much better! Until next time...
  • BradMyers82
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    I think you did a great job here man, and I can understand you wanting to move on at this point. I still sorta feel things could be cleaned up more from the side view, but I think at this point it would probably be more beneficial to just move on and learn more stuff rather than tweaking things forever.
    Id say a couple of things that you could do to improve this further without much work is to give him a more relaxed facial expression (its sorta gotten more angry looking as things progressed) and just look at some renders you like in a similar style and try to reproduce that. It looks really cool as is, but the rendering is not making it shine as much as it could be. But again, good work here man!