Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Forever novice looking for suggestions/crits

Maddness
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Maddness polycounter lvl 11
Hello.

I've always enjoyed drawing. I've done it ever since I was a kid (i'm 32 presently,) but I never got beyond drawing cartoons. I also haven't had any traditional art training or have ever gone to classes. I know practice makes perfect, and I do try and draw every day for a little bit, but for the past few years I've become frustrated in myself that I don't seem to draw as well as I should or would like to for as old as I am and as long as I've been drawing (or trying to.)

I am constantly on polycount, I was on CGHub constantly, ArtStation and Pintrest (yeah there's an amazing abundance of art there) so I see all these wonderful pieces and it inspires me to always start drawing, but then in the act of it I once again just feel like maybe I'm not practicing right or maybe I should stop and learn fundamentals or something I might've needed in the beginning.

I don't really draw anything super realistic or really awesome looking, I usually just draw cartoon stuff, which might be my fault, I don't know.

This has become more of a ramble than an actual post at this point, so to sum up I'm going to post some of my art below. I know I am terrible at actual character comp, I tend to not draw things from a front or back view but more from a side view. I know my characters probably aren't very proportional. So those things I'm already well aware of (but don't take that as a please don't tell me about it thing, I'd love all crits and suggestions I was just saying that I am aware.)

With that said any crits, suggestions, or tips would be awesome! I really enjoy drawing and I wish I could do it more and I wish I didn't have this defeated attitude every time i pick up a pencil or my wacom pen. Like I already know I'm not going to be as good as I'd like to be.

Ok enough journal entry. Thanks for viewing! Here are some examples. (Oh, I draw in Flash a lot, but I also draw in my sketch pads a lot. I have many!)

Replies

• Maddness
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    Well this is a refreshing sort of thread. Got a nice, honest sort of feel to it. I suppose the best feedback (or the best...start to feedback) I can give is the following question:

Why have you never moved beyond cartoons?

I mean, you say you never "got" beyond that point, but I mean why? Just draw something that's not a cartoon. It's not really something you..."get" to, not a place you have to travel a certain distance before you're at or anything. Even if it sucks, I mean, just draw like, an attempt at a realistic skull or something. It's not a cartoon, and it's still a step forward - yeah? I mean, cartoons aren't a starting point. They're not "square one", they're just a (generally simple) style that...more often than not is defined by replicating an existing style, established in certain 2D animated movies or kids shows. Some people go from square one to gallery illustrator without ever drawing "cartoons".

For real, assuming the images you're eyeing up on ArtStation and Pintrest aren't high resolution pictures of 70's-90's Looney Tunes, then I think the answer is simply that you need to branch out! It may very well be that you need to ditch the cartoons and dive into studying, and mastering more realistic and time-tested methods/styles of bettering your craft. Do some life drawing, try your hand at some master studies, a self portrait - maybe try a lighter pencil (mechanical, for fun?) as you seem to be pretty heavy-handed (for real those are some thick pencil marks some of them even reflect light super clearly, dang). You want to draw badass pictures of characters and monsters? Start absorbing knowledge related to how those things (people and creatures) actually work and look! Draw some skeletons (not cartoon skulls, yo), some form studies, and most importantly try to analyze and learn from all the mistakes that you find. I find that improving at art, drawing, painting, what have you - it's about doing something and then studying it. If you're just drawing what's fun, or what you're comfortable with, or what you know you can do, you're probably going to stagnate. And if you're trying to branch out, but you're doing it "because putting the hours in" and you're not actually studying it - you're also probably going to stagnate.

Phew, that wound up being a bit of a ramble from me as well. Sorry about that, but I hope it helps. :)
  • Daew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daew polycounter lvl 9
    +1 TwoListen

The reason you are stuck on drawing cartoon characters is because the foundations are missing. Cartoons are the simplification/exaggeration of realism. You need to know it's there before you can take it away.

It really is about how much you study, not just practice, because doing the same mistake over and over is practicing the same mistake over and over.

Since most of your drawings are of characters I would suggest learning the skeleton and the proportions I suggest looking at andrew loomis books to start off.

Studies also don't necessarily have to be images or master copies. Taking notes is good as well. (but physically take down the notes, not just in your head). Here is an example I've been doing because I felt like I did not know enough or to reinforce what I had already learn't

tumblr_nhw5d6PJGU1u4xoxco1_1280.jpg

It is a forever learning process because you will always find things you did not know and you will forget things that you did know. There is no end goal but a continuous strive to be better :).

hope this helps.

Oh and also try different mediums! Sculpting, painting, whatever. I find that that creating art is one big question and each medium is a different way to answer it. They all provide a different perspective . For example gesture. I've learn't a lot about gesture from drawing but it also applies to sculpting. My knowledge of gesture would be far less if I only studied 3D.
  • Maddness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen - Thanks for the response. To answer your question I'd have to say that when I was younger I really enjoyed cartoons. I wasn't really interested in realistic art or painting. I actually wanted to be a cartoonist as a kid. I didn't know until much later that even a cartoonist needed to know 101 things like proper anatomy, lines of action, etc. I obviously learned about those things growing up, but yeah I guess I never really put much into them. I'm sure it's a huge burden of impatience at wanting to already be able to do those things. I'm also really bad at following tutorials. For some reason I just zone out when I'm listening to someone speak. When I read tutorials I usually just get restless and skip around. I'm sure that also has to do with my impatience, but I've always been a person who learns by doing.

So, that being said, my impatience coupled with my (what can only be some kind of ADHD) need to actually do something to learn it has probably kept me down. I mean don't get me wrong, I've done some realistic stuff before. I've tried sketching faces from photos, or trying my hand at looking at people and sketching them via life drawing. I just had this huge hurdle of being disappointed I was terrible at it.

The sad thing about me is I feel like I'm already well aware of my problems that keep me from being a better artist, I guess I just don't really hear or read what I'm saying/typing to truly make the connection.

I like my drawings, but not anywhere near showing them off or anything because I knew they had heavy problems (and having a heavy hand is one of them. Haha. I'm a lefty and yeah I tend to make thick lines.) I'm hoping that by me putting stuff on here and talking it through with people who are good at their craft and enjoy helping others that I can overcome my own problems and finally set myself on the path to being a better artist.

I'm definitely the thing holding me back.

Daew - Yeah, I completely agree with you. As I mentioned to Two, I definitely know that I'm missing a lot when it comes to things I should be implementing into all my art. I also agree with you that studying seems to be just as important as drawing and I definitely do keep drawing my same mistakes over and over again.

I like the idea of starting with the skeleton for proportions. That does feel like a good first step. I also like the idea of physically writing down my thoughts/notes. I also have a feeling that will help me as I mentioned above.

Thank you both for the responses and the great feedback. I hope my answers have given you more insight into my issues and my desire to move forward.
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    Hey again fella.
    Maddness wrote: »
    I'm sure it's a huge burden of impatience at wanting to already be able to do those things. I'm also really bad at following tutorials. For some reason I just zone out when I'm listening to someone speak. When I read tutorials I usually just get restless and skip around. I'm sure that also has to do with my impatience, but I've always been a person who learns by doing.

I paid for a tutorial one time, from a well known art place online - super professional stuff just regarding the quality of the work and the talent involved. Well, I got a video of someone painting with 40 minutes of commentary during the whole thing and the whole time in my head I was just like, "Dude shut the hell up I'm trying deconstruct this shit and you're just going and going." I'm not saying they can't be helpful, but even if you get some nice results and it looks like it's supposed to afterwards - you're still not going to have gotten much better unless you put your own personal mind to it and studied the process. I see it happen a lot where folks will do a tutorial for X, and then they just do X. A bunch. That's stagnation!

I think it's important to take knowledge from a lot of different places - but remember, nobody can tell you the best way for you to learn. There is no "best" way, and what's best for some is not best for all. Part of what makes you the artist you are is the decisions you've made in how you improve. Your skillset and style is a result of what you personally have taken away from your experiences and studies.
    Maddness wrote: »
    I just had this huge hurdle of being disappointed I was terrible at it.

Yeah I'm pretty sure I've wondered if I should just give up on the whole "professional art" thing at least a time or two even just within the past couple months. It's probably mildly different for everyone, but disappointment is just part of the package I think. I think most artists worth their salt would probably say that they've failed more than they have succeeded. But so long as you can look at what you did in the past, and do better than that now - you have achieved! ...hell, even if you can look at what you did in the past and just see more issues with it than you could before, you've achieved. :poly124:

Anyway, you're right I do think you've got a decent understanding of some of your issues. But keep your chin up and keep trying, the world around you has every capacity to be your source of knowledge - observe, draw, repeat - and feel free to post more art you wouldn't mind feedback on. Perhaps even start a sketchbook in the sketchbook section to help keep track of your progress.
  • Daew
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daew polycounter lvl 9
    someone painting with 40 minutes of commentary during the whole thing and the whole time in my head I was just like, "Dude shut the hell up I'm trying deconstruct this shit and you're just going and going.

man I'm the exact opposite, I don't have the attention span to watch someone and deconstruct. I'd rather listen to them and occasional look over to what they are doing. Not that either way is a bad thing. Just I guess emphasizes everyone learns differently and you just need to find your own way.

And for the disappointment thing. I've been struggling with this lately and it comes off and on. I know now that is is natural process. I think it can come from feeling that your skills aren't improving, struggling with a certain piece (more study!), feeling like you can't do what other people are doing with ease and not trying new things.

I listened to this yesterday, its a podcast with karla ortiz. it's really encouraging to know even someone as talented as her struggles with the same problems that I find myself in.
    https://soundcloud.com/creativetrek/19-karla-ortiz-importance-of-balancing-art-and-life
  • skmmlk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, I'm listening to the Karla Ortiz podcast right now, it is pretty good.

Maddness, I think your issue is pretty common one. This book: [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1585429201/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_1?pf_rd_p=1944687762&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=0874774195&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0T0K5MEAASZZYT1KKV4B"]Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain: The Definitive, 4th Edition: Betty Edwards: 9781585429202: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

is a guide to get through this specific problem. The title is pretty cheesy and I was skeptical about it, but the content is pretty legit. I'm very happy I bought it. It can help anyone at any level of skill, but there are portions of the book that are specifically geared towards adults who are trying to learn how to draw something beyond sketches/cartoony images.
  • Maddness
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks everyone. I'm going to start a sketchbook on here and go from there. I'm actually a 3D artist as a career, I just would like to be better on the 2D side of things as well. I think it's odd personally that I don't have more experience in that area.

skmmik - I've heard of that book a few times before. I never really considered myself a left brained person, but maybe I am or maybe I'm just missing something.

On that note, I hope you visit my future sketchbook and give me your best! Thanks again!