Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Modeling & texturing practice projects

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
limeforce polycounter lvl 7
I will be devoting time to modeling and texturing practice over the upcoming weeks. I do not have much experience, so I try to stick to fairly quick and diverse projects to keep learning rapidly. I feel 5-10h per project (single asset or little env) is enough for doing things properly, but still moving on soon enough. I'm eventually aiming for an environment art position. To start things off, I made a highpoly chair (offline rendered) in two nights. Modeled in Maya, textured in Substance Designer.

Reference:

Comments:
- I was not focusing on matching the reference very exactly, but the materials are clearly off. Should have paid more attention to the metal & wood colors.
- I had trouble making the plywood edges in Substance, I'll need to play with the nodes more so I can make stuff like that more easily.
- I forgot to take into account the lighter metal at the bottom of the legs.
- Little presentation thingies: annoying difference in camera angle & exposure between the front & back shots.

Feel free to bash or praise my work, I will be doing more. Trying to focus on game assets from now on. I guess this is mainly my thread, but if someone is doing the same kind of thing you can join in and post your stuff. Oh and the chair is ~9k tris and the wires are horrible.

Replies

• Luxap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxap polycounter lvl 6
    Hi limeforce!

Love to see this thread fill up more and more as this comes along!

Some critique, try to push those textures like the roughness difference on the wood and the small color differences on the sides of the wood. You could also pay some more time in details on the mesh itself, as the two round thingies holding the backplate of wood are thicker in the picture then in your model. Also try to get those nice curves in the model if you really want to finish it up. But that's all the comment on the model, I think for me personally the textures could use a lot more love and then focus some more on the mesh/presentation. Show of those nice materials with a light in the right angle etc.

Hope this helps and love to see more of this, and really see how you push yourself.

Keep up the good work!
  • limeforce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments, I'll keep them in mind on my next project. Agreed that texturing is the part that needs most improvement.

Tried out Sketchfab for the first time so that I can easily expose my models to more scrutiny, here is the chair again. Now off to something else.

[SKETCHFAB]d07574523ddc4098bfd3788876bb96c3[/SKETCHFAB]
  • limeforce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey. Contrary to my plan, I took up a slightly larger project. I've been making a subd model of a Gibson ES-335 Trini Lopez guitar for a while now. Modeling stage is getting there little by little, here is a progress shots. If anyone has tips or opinions on the topology of the guitar body or for working with a shape like that in general, I'd love to hear them.

• limeforce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's been months, but I managed to finish the guitar. Definitely not a small practice project in the end. Here it is. I also rendered a little video of it and put it up on Youtube, convenient redirect link here: http://limeforce.tumblr.com/guitar. Higher res version of the image here.

95% of modeling done in Maya, textures are mostly procedurals from either Substance Designer or Modo (logos and text from photos & Photoshop). I think the red wood substance turned out pretty nice! Rendered in Modo.

• GeneralDunitz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How did you guys manage to get that wood texture, when i used wood varnished or raw, it didn't look like wood at all. It looked like a solid color without the wood grain on it.
  • limeforce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @GeneralDunitz Not sure how useful this is after more than half a year, but it comes down to carefully layering different noisy patterns while looking at good reference. This is my Substance graph for the wood: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/30047269/polycount/modeling-practice-thread/Wood.sbs

Reviving the thread to show some WIP schoolwork and hopefully get some good crits & ideas. The assignment is to create a character using 7500 tris and 2x1024 textures from a concept done by a classmate (below). We're only allowed to use Maya, Photoshop, xNormal and Crazybump. In five days time I'm supposed to go from the current state to a fully modeled and textured model in a T-pose. Currently working on making the sculpt look nice (but not too detailed, the final product is fairly low-res after all), then I'll need to adjust the lowpoly a bit more before baking & the rest.

• limeforce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finished this, hope you like it. After-sleep fresh eyes say: oooooops, pushed the saturation quite a bit.

• Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    Really good work on the chair and guitar and decent presentation too. This character doesnt have the same level of polish or attention to detail. The vfx dont look good on that light saber wip thing, I can easily see the edges of the polys and because the contrast is so high with the background thats the first thing I look at. The character doesnt look textured I know it doesnt show much in the concept but this is where you get to have some artistic and creative freedom, look up reference and try some ideas. Right now it looks like colours applied to an id map without any texture, wear and tear or story to the outfit.
  • limeforce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Ged thanks for the feedback, I agree I need to do a way better job with details
  • limeforce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    They do not not skate on other planets like they do on planet earth, do they…?

Squeezed out a little personal piece to solidify my working knowledge of ZBrush and Substance Painter. Here are some fancy schmanzy renders of this alien dude I came up with as well as the Sketchfab scene so you can go scrutinize him more closely.

Outer Space Roll Unit on Sketchfab 

• limeforce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Another project to improve in game art :) More pics & info here: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/NYZ3b.

• limeforce
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Converted the guitar from earlier in this thread into a game-ready asset and pushed the texturing a bit further. More pics & info here: https://www.artstation.com/artwork/OzDAv.