Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

1800's Brass Register PBR

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Matt_Billeci polycounter lvl 7
Finished taking this guy through Substance Painter and Substance Designer. Im pretty stoked for what I have learned from this prop, especially since it is my first time going through the PBR workflow. In the future, I intend on throwing it into an environment soon. Any C&Cs are much appreciated =)

qBGB3m5.jpg

fIWik57.jpg

GppplGF.jpg

Replies

• Luxap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxap polycounter lvl 6
    Hi there Matt_Billeci!

Nice first try!
    The brass and glass look nice and believable to me, have a lot of trouble creating glass in unreal engine so glass amazes me, haha =D.
    The second screenshot is my least favorite, because of the glow that you got on the left model.
    Onto the only "bad" (as in least good bad) are the marble itself but most the cracks in marble. I always imagine marble to have these really distinct kind of lines (See picture below).
    4605927838.jpg
    And about the cracks, I think having some pieces of the cracks a little deeper then other parts will help it fix the problem, maybe go back and model them in for a realistic feel ( but that depends on what the end goal of this piece is ofcourse ).

Anywyas, end of rant, love to see more of your work and super nice first try!

(PS: what is it rendered in?)
  • Matt_Billeci
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks Luxap!

-Yeah, I think modeling the cracks might actually give a pretty sweet result. For the cracks, I tried my best to mimic broken/cracked marble, with something like the texture you uploaded showing subtly underneath, however, i lost a lost of the detail and gained noise and height values with the use of dirt and dust.

-I had also attempted to play with some lighting, and tried to add a "cool" light to the side of the register, which got the wonky result in the second screenshot. I'll definitely look to fix that.

-also, i rendered this guy out in Marmoset.

Thanks again for the feedback. Looking forward to sharing more work! =D
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For the marble, it doesn't make sense to have the cracks in the normal map or the gloss maps. Marmle like this would be polished and very smooth, so the texture detail would be almost entirely in the diffuse. You would only get big cracks like you have in your normal map if the marble itself was physically cracked.

Fresh new marble: Marble-Countertops.jpg

See how perfectly smooth and glossy that is?

Heres a ref closer to your object, again the actual marble is polished to a smooth surface
    $_57.JPG

For older marble, you would want to throw in some subtle detail into the gloss map, like this:
    DSC_8166-900x596.jpg
    or
    glasses+013.JPG

The metal areas look quite a bit better, but there is something that seems a little of there too. Like its not clear if the metal is supposed to be copper or brass.
  • Matt_Billeci
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @EarthQuake really awesome tips man, thanks a bunch. The ref photos of subtle marble details are amazing, so I'll look to add something along those lines as well as tinker with the different brass materials.

As for the the crackes within the normal map, I had actually intended for that to be physical damage, much like in this:

OeyQqEA.jpg

I think I'll have to tinker with it more to emulate something along those lines.

Thanks again, man!
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oh ok yeah, I thought you were trying to put some of the marble grain into the normal map. For that sort of thing I would actually recommend doing it in the highpoly and baking it down, though maybe its a bit late for that now as you would need to adjust the low and uvs too. Its important to note how clean of a break the marble has there in the ref, whereas you've got more of a spider-web sort of pattern to the crack, which I would expect to see on glass or something like that rather than marble.
  • Matt_Billeci
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll think I'll definitely try adding the clean breaks!! The cash tray didn't exist until this update and was a bit of a pain to convert the front face plate. It was originally closed and baked on a a flat surface and I feel like adding it has helped the piece SOOOOO much.