Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Biomag's Character Improvement Thread

sublime tool
Offline / Send Message
Biomag sublime tool
Hu,

as I am trying to learn and improve my skills I hope you guys will help me with feedback. As it seems to work well for other users to stick to one thread for several characters to be better able to show the progress, I decided to try this approach myself.

Here we go with my second character that involves zBrush (I am still pretty fresh in this buisness). My previous one can be found here -> https://cdn.artstation.rocks/p/assets/images/images/000/244/309/large/erih-pazanin-standing-wireframe.jpg?1412983672

This time I am working on a male character, but before starting to think too much about details for cloth, design or anything, I want to use it as practice to improve my anatomy knowledge.

Feet & ears are not done yet and I haven't started working on details yet, but maybe you can give me some advice and point out the mistakes I made so far? I would be very thankful for it.

front_zps54bed306.jpg

back_zps06bb46a0.jpg

side_zps644aba4e.jpg

head_zpsc75f57e0.jpg

hand_outside_zps45613c56.jpg

hand_inside_zpsd9daa98b.jpg

Replies

• Biomag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag sublime tool
    Hu :)

Another attemp to get some dircetions from you guys :)

I got to the point where I plan to leave the character as it is for now - except for correcting issues that other might point me at. Next step would be the skin details and asymetry, but it would need a higher resolution for the mesh and my laptop can't handle it. So I will get to that once I have the clothing and I can reduce the mesh to those body parts that will actually remain.

Here some screens - feedback would be highly appriciated:
    full_back_zps1d17ceb7.jpg

full_front_zps0abedb12.jpg

face_zps9fbeab46.jpg

close_front_zps257b9a58.jpg

close_back_zps67783225.jpg
  • Chantel-sky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chantel-sky polycounter lvl 3
    Not bad!
    I would make sure the abs weren't in line with each other and break up symmetry... When I sculpt the abs I turn symmetry off.

Maybe give his back more definition and make the butt cheeks closer as it looks a bit weird atm.

Another thing, would be giving him a more relaxed pose before you start adding muscles, just bending his arms a little bit and moving his legs apart really helps.. well it does for me.

Hope this helps :)
  • Biomag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag sublime tool
    First: Thanks for the feedback :)

Regarding butt: It's really the part I have the hardest time with :) I will try to use your imput to finally make it look better.

For the abs - yes, breaking symmetry is something that yet needs to be done for the whole model, I just wanted to have a sculpt completely symmetrical before going into details - but maybe you are right and I should keep them asymmetrical from the start and not do it only later on.

As for sculpting muscles, with the next base mesh that I make I will try to keep your suggestion regarding the pose in mind. I will have to stick to it with the female mesh I have to do next, as we will use them at work too and both are planed to share the same rig.

But for my next private project, I will change the pose :)

Thanks again!
  • Chantel-sky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chantel-sky polycounter lvl 3
    What I do when sculpting the butt is try to get closest to the middle without the cursor becoming one and build up with either clay brushes and then once you've done that use the dam standard down the middle and sometimes using the pinch brush the slightest bit.

I hope that makes sense? lol. (never explained how to sculpt a butt before)

Goodluck :)!
  • Biomag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag sublime tool
    I've been working on several different things lately and finally had a vacation, but now I got something close to finished and I would appreciate some C&C :)

skier_face_01_zpssnhjfmim.png
  • TophT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TophT polycounter lvl 8
    Stuffs getting better, Biomag.
    If I might offer a little suggestion, and this is a minor thing that might go a long way. Always look at your characters in a perspective view. We never see people in an ortho view and the slight distortions cause by an ortho camera could be impeding your progress. I know ZBrush doesn't have true perspective, but the perspective distortion it uses makes looking at characters a little easier on the eyes. You'd be surprised just how much of a difference that would make.
    T.
  • Biomag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag sublime tool
    Thanks for the suggestion, I will keep that definitely in mind while working :)
  • Biomag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag sublime tool
    Just a small addition. I today made my first attempt at a wooden shield for a personal project.

For me it's going to be interesting to see how it will look ingame, once textures are baked and made.

As always C&C are appreciated.

erih-pazanin-viking-shield-front.jpg?1425835795
    erih-pazanin-viking-shield-back.jpg?1425835791
  • AndyClark
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AndyClark polycounter lvl 5
    Making some good improvements especially the face.

The trapezius looks a bit 'lumpy' and it actually has a very defined shape (bit like a spear head) with an ascending and descending part, I think a quick trim dynamic and smooth would do the job to really lock that large shape down.

I would also pinch the origins of the sternocleidomastoid at the pit of the neck a bit more.

Good luck, looking great!
  • Biomag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag sublime tool
    Thanks Andy for that precious advice! I will re-work those parts you mentioned!
  • Biomag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag sublime tool
    A little stressful time, but I am trying to spend a least a couple of hours sculpting each day. Sadly I didn't had the time to adjust the issues with the male base mesh, as a private project is growing (several characters til the end of summer for a game) so I did the first two faces for major characters of the story.

First a ~35-37 year old battle hardened warrior
    erih-pazanin-hrafn.jpg?1427141329

...and his elder brother:
    erih-pazanin-egil.jpg?1427141513

I also started the base mesh for the female characters... Starting point is a very muscular body for the female soldiers. It's not like anyone will see them naked (most probably even the arms will be covered), but I needed this to get a sense for how the female muscles look in detail. I tried to incorporate the feedback you guys gave me before into this one. Mind neither feet, nor hands nor head are done (or even started). Regarding symetry - I only break it later in a separate layer as finishing touches (as with the face).
    female_front_zpsainbzw09.png
    female_back_zps9dampnwc.png

Feedback as always appreciated.
  • Biomag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag sublime tool
    Well here updates of the faces. I reworked the anatomy and the skin details.

erih-pazanin-hrafn-01.jpg?1429383448

erih-pazanin-egil-01.jpg?1429383452

Front and sideviews can be found here:
    https://www.artstation.com/artwork/brothers-9d93a2e3-cc35-4cc9-8c9e-f3f54e9593c2

Feedback, C&C as always appreciated as there is a lot of room for improvement :)

Cheers.
  • Biomag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Biomag sublime tool
    Small update - armor for game characters I am doing at the moment. It is part of a modular set and sadly not yet even the parts shown here are 100% done... work fucks up private projects pretty badly...

The shoulder straps need their middle part detailed, sash needs the detail work and retouch after adding the belt. The leather on the belt will be done by texture only as I don't want to push the triangle count further as my maschine is giving in (scales and chainmail are brutal - baking them will be fun...). There are also some belts and straps for the armor that are yet missing - but at least it is something that can be shown.

erih-pazanin-varangian-armor-wip-3.jpg?1432748933
    erih-pazanin-varangian-armor-wip.jpg?1432748936
    erih-pazanin-varangian-armor-wip-2.jpg?1432748939