Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

M1941 Johnson - Pew Pew

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
The Lone Penguin polycounter lvl 9
Wrapping up the high poly and getting ready to move on to the low/bake. This one was quite a tricky son of a bitch. The receiver to the end of the barrel shroud is basically one giant piece. Took a few artistic liberties with some pieces that were very player focused but rather boring just to get some interest but only on a few small parts.

amYtJqr.jpg
aDeC4fT.jpg
7aJnShQ.jpg

Replies

• Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    what a strange gun, never seen that one

looks well done so far but i think some of the edges are way too soft, especially the back part.
    it takes a lot away from that milled metal look , and especially the back is viewed very closely in first person , so should have rather sharp edges. the magazine parts + clip holder look very authentic but the reciever is kinda overly blobby, while the real edges are mainly razor sharp. they dont need to all reflect light, some sharp parts can really sell your model too

oh and is there something you could maybe add under the barrel ? It would have so much better visual balance and made it more appealing if there would be another counterweight at the front, but thats probably out of your hand , there seems to be some kind of connection for something tho
  • Kaine123
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kaine123 polycounter lvl 10
    A bayonet might be a nice addition.
  • Mr Flopsie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Flopsie polycounter lvl 5
    Looks pretty good! Is there a special trick for making the straps? I should also make one for my gun but I can't lose too much time with it
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very nice! I like those soft edges :)
    This shall bake very well. Looking forward for the textures.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mr Flopsie wrote: »
    Looks pretty good! Is there a special trick for making the straps? I should also make one for my gun but I can't lose too much time with it

Just shift drag a plane with a shell and a turbosmooth modifier on top and see how it looks.
  • The Lone Penguin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks! The bayonet I chose to leave out. It uses an odd, slim, spike style bayonet and I didn't like it that much so I left it off.

Sling was simply a face extruded along a curve. Then used dynamesh to quickly cut out the holes. Super quick overall. Even quicker if you're doing a more modern day strap with no notches, then you likely don't need the zbrush step.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ohh wait a minute are you using zbrush for modeling like the ak you did?
  • The Lone Penguin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yup. Although not as much as I did on the AK. The majority of the gun is not dynamesh'd because of how much of the receiver is one solid piece I wasn't getting the resolution (or performance) I wanted using dynamesh so it's just done in Maya the old fashion way. So I used it mainly on a few of the smaller bits.
  • Odeca
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Odeca polycounter lvl 3
    I always wanted to make one myself for the project I'm working on but I always got scared from the shape, looks very promising so far and I agree that the bayonet would be a great touch, the fact that it's a spike bayonet would make it look different from the others IMO.