Home› Technical Talk

Rigging Models for Component Design

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
apollo580 polycounter lvl 9
Hey, back again with another question. I created a model character and am now trying to skin and animate the model. I have a few clothing pieces such as a t shirt, pants, boots, etc. All of these are separate objects that fit onto the main character. So here is my problem... The clothes do not overlap in the standard T pose but when I animate the skin underneath begins to seep through the t shirt for example. So far my only solution is to use Skin Wrap (3DS Max) and adjust the t shirt weights but this doesn't work everywhere.

Is there are better method to do this? The reason I'm trying to do it this way is so for the future I can quickly add new parts to the game. Is there some sort of way to set a hierarchy on meshes so that ones below another will not show? Or get pushed down below it?

Thanks for any help!

Replies

• monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    It's impossible to catch all cases where the skin will peak out of the tshirt.

The best way is to consider the torso a shirt. When the torso is replaced with a tshirt the geometry is removed and the tshirt geometry takes its place.

If that won't work for you, make sure the tshirt has the same topology as the torso below it. That's the best you can probably do.