Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Reinhardt's Rocket Hammer

Hello everybody!

I just had my first 3D class in prop modeling. This was my final I submitted for the semester. It is my take on Reinhardt from Overwatch's Rocket Hammer. It is entirely modeled in 3Ds Max. I plan on retouching this when I have my first ZBrush class in the Spring.

I based my design off this concept, then added my own touches to it:

ByEdXSK.jpg

I would love any feedback on how you feel I could further improve this model.

XubX69Q.jpg

UdSsdq1.jpg

kn2U5ck.jpg

Replies

• JoshWilkinson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshWilkinson polycounter lvl 9
    I'm loving that hammer. Some of the perspective renders look like they've lost the beefy, intimating factor of the concept though.
    olpB9PD.jpg
    I think if the metallic plate was brought down to be more flush with the end of the jet thrusters, the wires were a bit thicker and the overall shapes behind the mallet were less long, it may bring back some of the beefy presence the concept has.

Also I'm not sure why yet but the mallet isn't read too well for me. Perhaps if you sculpted some nice dents into the mallet and maybe don't transition between two materials with a noisy normals?

NVtF0vY.jpg
    I made a table a while back and hit it with a hammer, chains, shovel, various things to get various shapes dented into the wood. It doesn't come out with as much variety as I originally wanted but hopefully you get the idea.
  • Arylia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you for the feedback! I do intend on going back through and making the proportions different to give it a better beefy feel. The taller front panel was a design change based on feedback from my instructors. It was to give the weapon a more hammer-like feel.
  • Dethling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dethling polycounter lvl 11
    For me the grip/handle looks so thin. I would make it a little thicker (also the cables).
    Also the Top-Plate don't go beneath the cable/pipes in the concept.
    I would think of the Top-Plate more like a armor-plate which protects the mechanic/engine within the hammer.

At your version the top plate looks more solid, like the head of a normal hammer.
    Also the rocket exhaust pipes aren't 100% correct, in the concept the plates there are curved.

The texture looks really nice, really worn and dirty, not that shiny PBR you see often. :)

All in all - make it a littel more "beefy" :)