Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Learning PBR with chests

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Texelion polycounter lvl 8
That's it, I'll finally try to get into PBR stuff, even if I don't really like realistic graphics. So I started a simple chest, nothing fancy, and here is where I am after some hours of reading everything I found on this site and eslewhere.

I'm using UE4 so, Metalness workflow. Had a hard time figuring why it looked bad, I didn't know there were different workflows, and almost every info I found was therory related, nothing practical explaining in detail how to create textures for PBR.

Keep in mind it's just a work in progress test, not final at all.

- the albedo. I just used an equalized wood texture. The metal is painted black, so I don't define it as metallic. The rivets and lock are metallic, so their reflection color is defined by the albedo ( gold-ish color ).

Chest01_d.jpg

- the metalness, pure black and white. I wanted to show the metal under the paint in some areas so I added some spots. Doesn't look really good, it seems really hard to control the transition between materils, right ?

Chest01_m.jpg

- the roughness. I used the wood texture and some metal texture to add variations. Not sure if it's a good idea, but it looks too "smooth" without it.

Chest01_r.jpg

- the normal map, nothing special here.

Chest01_n.jpg

- final result

test01.jpg

Now, I have a problem with the ambiant occlusion, when I plug it into the AO slot, nothing happens, the AO just doesn't show up. So I cheated and added it in the albedo. I know it's bad, but seriously having assets with no prelight at all just feels really boring and bland.

Now I'm a big noob in PBR so I'm waiting for you to destroy what I've done, so I can correct everything ^^.

Replies

• Youngy798
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Youngy798 polycounter lvl 4
    I like it, maybe you could add some darker dirt around the wood that borders the metal, so it looks like dirt has built up
  • tadpole3159
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tadpole3159 polycounter lvl 12
    came here for boobies and got a box...

Just messing your box looks lovely. I'd turn that AO off though, because its in your diffuse its getting cut off by specular highlights and looking really fake. let unreal do that stuff for you when you bake lights
  • AlecMoody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlecMoody ngon master
    I would get rid of or significantly reduce the white spots on the albedo map.

Also, your texture has no large scale variation. Try and work in some larger texture information that plays on local forms. This doesn't have to be dirt or damage either.
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScottHoneycutt polycounter lvl 14
    Yeah you aren't helping anything by putting it in the diffuse. In my opinion we were doing way too much of that with the UE3 legacy workflow in the first place. The black screws in your map for example are giving way to much perfectly uniform shadow info out in every direction for something so small and tight to the chest. Screws in real life don't show giant rings of fuzzy black all around it. The AO is very subtle in real life for such a small thing, so much that you would see it from a distance. Admittedly its difficult because there are so many tutorials telling you to add that AO in the diffuse from several years, and now were are being told to do it the "right" way. Looking back at all the huge amounts of AO I threw onto my old UE3 stuff, I realize I simply didn't know what I was doing.

I've never had the AO do anything for me in UE4 either. I gave up on even bothering:

https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/101059/ambient-occlusion-node-in-material-does-nothing.html
  • Youngy798
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Youngy798 polycounter lvl 4
    I think it might look better also if you have a stronger normal map for the gaps in between the wood. I think it would look better if it looked like they were separate planks, instead of a single piece.

I really jumbled my words there..

simply put, I think the gaps in the wood need to be more visible.
  • Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    AO is actually noticeable in Unreal Engine 4 if you put it in it's correct AO slot, it's a subtle difference but since we're dealing with PBR here it's all about using the correct amount of subtly in the materials. You'll mostly notice the difference on anything indirectly lit.

As sort of a compromise between having a dedicated texture to ao if you for some reason don't want one, you can always use an AO map as more of a "dirt" pass, so while it's darkening up where the edges meet in corners (basically what ao is for) it doesn't look "false" when hit by direct light as it'll read more like dirt than shadow. I've currently been experimenting with this using a curvature and AO map in substance painter, and then going on top of a mask with a brush to get rid of some of the uniformity that comes with this method. I was doing everything manually with photo refs in photoshop across all the different maps for a bit, but am finding myself moving towards painter to minimize the going back and forth between all the files. (Photoshop still being used for stuff like making black+white maps to mask out things with the more advanced selection tools which I can then import and use in painter, or to put in specific details like icons/logos/text stuff without having to use the awkward stencil for it + ndo2)

I'm also unsure as to why your metal trim is not reading as metal in the metalness map at all. With the metal trim being completely black in your metalness map it's going to read more like plastic. I believe even painted metal will have some sort of value going on other than black although I'm not a 100% sure. I find myself using values in between for materials that are not 100% metal only yet definitely not black either. (Usually due to the material being a painted metal or compound, definitely a wider range of values when having dirt and grunge mixed on top of a metal part) The harsher black to white transition does work well though for things like paint chips/flakes which have a strong contrast by nature. I'd guess I'd play around with having your metal trim in the metalness map set to different values to see which one looks the best to you.

I still say trust your eyeballs on what looks the best when it comes to PBR. Especially since there are multiple styles of handling textures, although anyone can feel free to disagree with me on that :)

As a last suggestion, perhaps you could make it so the texture is a bit more grounded in how it would be "dirtified" in real life. IE dust landing on the top parts of the chest, dirt/grunge/scratches being more towards the bottom from the floor, and any areas handled the most. I believe you can pull off these effects a little easier by baking out a world normal map and using that to help get you started.
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys I'm gonna make some change.

The albedo is just a base for now, I just wanted to put the materials right.

From what I've read, the metalness should always be black or white, never inbetween, and a painted metal is not considered metallic, unless it's a "metallic" paint of course. Now PBR is still a bit new, I know some people think we should apply the theory and others say we should adapt it to what looks better for us... honestly I've never seen a next-gen game with PBR that is perfectly used, most of the time the graphics look weird, we can clearly see objects made of a plain color albedo with a normal map, it's kinda bland imo.
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just for comparison, here is how it looks if I set the black metal part to "metallic". It's typically the kind of look I don't like, it's shiny and seems wet.

I also removed the AO from the albedo. Now I'll try to work on the albedo itself.

test02.jpg
  • Mik2121
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mik2121 polycounter lvl 9
    If it looks shinny and wet, then modify the roughness. If it's metal and has dirt on top of it, then leave the dirt as non-metallic, but if you want the actual metal to show up but beaten up, then just play around with the roughness.
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mik2121 wrote: »
    If it looks shinny and wet, then modify the roughness. If it's metal and has dirt on top of it, then leave the dirt as non-metallic, but if you want the actual metal to show up but beaten up, then just play around with the roughness.

Agreed
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here is some progress, did two other chests and corrected the first one.

wipchest01.jpg

wipchest02.jpg

wipchest03.jpg
  • Dave Jr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dave Jr polycounter lvl 9
    Looking good!

Is the wood a tiling texture by any chance or is it sculpt/retop/bake.

Just wondered if you modelled a low poly and used tileables from the get-go. :)

IMO the best is the 2nd version! Keep em coming!
  • Luxap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxap polycounter lvl 6
    Hi Texelion!

Coming along nicely!
    Shapewise:
    Love the first 2 boxes for their authentic shape, the third one looks more of a table/stand then a chest.
    Materials:
    The metal looks solid, the only remark there is maybe a little more variation in roughness, but that can be personal choice.
    As for the wood it looks to flat, quite uninteresting perhaps. A great source for inspiration is the art dump from Assassin's creed.
    Found here ( link to page 2 for materials in specific )
    http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=144111&page=2

Preview below.
    As you can see the wood has much more variation in terms of roughness, you could make the dark parts of your wood a high roughness maybe 0.8 (just guessing here ) and the light parts 0.3 maybe?
    (these values are in Unreal engine terms ofcourse)
    ACU_Text_04.jpg?1415902731

Really hope this helps. Love to see more!
  • LaurentiuN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LaurentiuN interpolator
    yup the 2nd ver looks great:>
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dave : nope it's not a tileable. I did a simple sculpt, baked it on the lowpoly ( no need to retopo ) and put a photo texture. Using tileables wouldn't permit to have specific details like dirt on the bottom, or maybe with masks and stuff in the shader.

Luxap : yeah I know the third one is more like a trunk than a chest, you know the kind of trunk you put kids toys inside.

I guess you're right for the wood, I'll try to put more variation in the roughness.

Unrelated to the texturing, I have a hard time figuring out how to have good shadows, as you can see most of the self-shadowing looks bad, or even absent. I tried changing the shadow bias, but it results in "stripes" all over the scene. The scale of the meshes should be good, I made them based on a human from one of the demo scene, so the chests are like knee-high.

Also the AO doesn't seem to do shit, is that normal ?
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking much better.
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Looking good!

While AO shouldn't techincally be in the diffuse, I have put a small amount of it into most of my projects. I don't really see the problem if it looks good?
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys,

I just submitted this to the unreal marketplace, here are some shots. Tricounts may seem high but I've put champfers and custom normals almost everywhere to have clean bakes and nice lighting.

Wires and textures will come later.

PS : some chests may look blurry, I think Unreal displayed the wrong mip map, I'll check that.

chest01.jpg

chest02.jpg

chest03.jpg

chest04.jpg

chest05.jpg

chest06.jpg

chest07.jpg

chest08.jpg

chest09.jpg

chest10.jpg