Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Flintlock Pistol

First time thread. This is to showcase my flintlock pistol model, 3765 tris.

Critiques appreciated!

iy4SA0s.png
3e9tzPi.png
HVK5yC1.png
bsOtVuc.png

Textures:
t3HCsd4.jpg

Replies

• Pedro Amorim
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Use IMGUR to host you images easily, grab the BBC code it gives you and paste it into the thread.

I'm assuming you're having trouble posting your images.
  • stephen_015
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, finally figured things out. Plus I had serious bandwidth issues while uploading. Thanks, JadeEye.
  • Spiffy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spiffy polycounter lvl 12
    I'd definitely give a look at using a metalness workflow rather than Specular for this project.
    It's a little confusing at first but after a little practice it becomes a whole lot easier to get good material definition.

It doesn't look like there is much AO, I'm not sure if you're using it but Marmoset 2 has a separate texture input specifically for AO and Cavity maps under "occlusion" in the material panel.
  • stephen_015
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It has AO, but looks like I should crank it up. So about the metalness, would it need saturated yellows for brass, or would it be a grayscale map? I'll look into it.
  • Spiffy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spiffy polycounter lvl 12
    Grayscale map

All your colors are defined by your Diffuse, intensity by the Gloss and Metalness by Metalness.
    Marmoset has an entire page on conversion between the two workflows:
    http://www.marmoset.co/toolbag/learn/pbr-conversion

With the metalness workflow it is also a good Idea to keep your AO separate from your Diffuse.
    I had trouble grasping it at first because your diffuse by itself will end up look very plain.
  • stephen_015
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd had just read that page when I checked back, I am going to follow up on that. Also, I saw another forum thread in which the specular was kept bare with minimum detail, but the gloss had all the scratches and small details. I should experiment around more with that.
  • stephen_015
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    All right, played around with the textures further. Changed the wood, reworked specular and gloss a lot.

New images:
    HSravVh.png
    asTsVLe.png
    ELKU6iU.png

Texture before:XZJRvz9.jpg
    Textures after: sfbXLG6.jpg
  • Vincent_DEROZIER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vincent_DEROZIER greentooth
    It seems to me that you are using the Spec/Gloss PBR workflow, Am I right? If so you make a lot of mistake regarding your albedo or Spec values. You have to understand that if you are working on a PBR workflow, your Albedo is suppose to be a flat version of your texture with NO SHADOWS or LIGHT informations, only colors. Your Specular or Reflectivity is a physic value which correspond to the amount of light which is reflect by your surface. Each color correspond to a physic surface so if you put to much noise or shadow/light informations in your Specular every pixel will be a different material.

Your gold and iron metal are more looking like plastic because you need to have a black or near to black albedo for these parts or you will never have contrast on your metal.

It's suppose to be forbidden to add shadows or highlights informations in your specular because the Specular (reflectivity) is suppose to be a Physic value which correspond to a specific material.

First I think you better have to remove all your details informations and put physically values:
    http://www.marmoset.co/wp-content/uploads/materialref02.png

You will obtain a flat but pysically clean object. Then you will be able to update every layers of your texture acoording to the PBR rules.

If you have time try Substance Designer which is very helpful to understand PBR because you can see and understand each layer impact on the final material render.

Keep it up !
  • dzibarik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dzibarik polycounter lvl 10
    I like the model and textures but material definition of gold lack a bit. Its color is off, I'd suggest looking up for reference.
  • stephen_015
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It seems to me that you are using the Spec/Gloss PBR workflow, Am I right? If so you make a lot of mistake regarding your albedo or Spec values. You have to understand that if you are working on a PBR workflow, your Albedo is suppose to be a flat version of your texture with NO SHADOWS or LIGHT informations, only colors. Your Specular or Reflectivity is a physic value which correspond to the amount of light which is reflect by your surface. Each color correspond to a physic surface so if you put to much noise or shadow/light informations in your Specular every pixel will be a different material.

Your gold and iron metal are more looking like plastic because you need to have a black or near to black albedo for these parts or you will never have contrast on your metal.

It's suppose to be forbidden to add shadows or highlights informations in your specular because the Specular (reflectivity) is suppose to be a Physic value which correspond to a specific material.

First I think you better have to remove all your details informations and put physically values:
    http://www.marmoset.co/wp-content/uploads/materialref02.png

You will obtain a flat but pysically clean object. Then you will be able to update every layers of your texture acoording to the PBR rules.

If you have time try Substance Designer which is very helpful to understand PBR because you can see and understand each layer impact on the final material render.

Keep it up !

SO I have to keep the albedo flat. Okay,what about wood grains? Do I input those in the gloss alone? And the metal scratches are all purely in gloss too, not in specular, if I understood you correctly.
    I tried understanding pbr via Ddo, but I'll take a look at substance designer.
    I haven't understood PBR fully, this is the main reason I posted my model here.
    Thanks so much for your input!
  • Kazperstan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kazperstan greentooth
    Andrew has a really good read for understanding PBR:
    http://www.artisaverb.info/PBT.html

Although he uses a metal mask where as it seems you are using spec so where he is making his metal coloured in the albedo you will want to do that in your Spec instead, In general most metals are really dark in their albedo's as explained above by Vincent. The chart he posted as well should really help.
    :)

In general most Spec maps are pretty flat with not much detail in them. Pretty much a material mask.

Your wood grain would be a colour change, but the grain itself would be in the normals mostly.

Metal scratches would be in the gloss, unless the scratch is revealing a different material underneath (I.E Paint scratching to reveal metal). Think what is happening to the material, how is it being worn? is it becoming smoother or rougher as it gets damaged.

Hope that helps :D
  • Vincent_DEROZIER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vincent_DEROZIER greentooth
    There is 2 differents workflow when you are working in PBR and all the editor doesn't have the same sensibility according to the glossiness.

Anyway you have to first create something clean and after that you will add some subtile indications in your albedo, reflectance etc..
    But the most important to began is for you to set something which seems to be realistic. Just add the megascan value as a base for your maps and you will have something realistic, clean but physically base.

PBR is not too complicated if you keep the link I have send to you and that you completely understand what is the effect of each layer. After that you will be able to add more details, variations, love, etc...

To be a little more explicit flat doesn't mean that you have to create something without variation, if your wood grain have color, pattern or different intensity you have to add it in your albedo.
  • stephen_015
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Followed everyone's advice, remade the textures:
    Dark, glossy wood, Blackened metal with brass overlays showing at the topmost points, ie designs, and shiny steel for the flint mechanism.

o9ZlTUx.png
    63EuQWq.png
    tbaAcL1.png

As always, room for improvements, comments welcome!
  • Jarran
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jarran polycounter lvl 11
    looking good! love the normal detailing on the metal :) i think the wood is perhaps just a little too glossy but that might just be my opinion.
  • stephen_015
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments, everyone who offered guidance, I owe you guys!