Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Engineer Character - Critiques appreciated!

Kdawg
polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Kdawg polycounter lvl 7
Hey guys, I'm working on this character for my final demo for school. He's an engineer.

This is the concept I created tumblr_ngpdb8QsNR1tuext1o1_1280.jpg

And here is my current progress

tumblr_ngpd5u4h4N1tuext1o1_1280.png

Still a bit of stuff left to do. I need to fix up the skin and give him a better weapon. I'm also going to give him a simple rig and an idle animation.

All comments are appreciated!

Replies

• CJE
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CJE polycounter lvl 13
    Hey,

Looking cool so far. I really like the style and the concept. Reminds me of How to Train Your Dragon.

My only crits would be the texturing. I think it's looking a bit mushy/soft at the moment, so some of the elements are getting lost. I also think the AO might be a bit strong on the jacket/mid-section.

Looking forward to seeing more.
  • Noth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noth polycounter lvl 15
    The face doesn't quite live up to the concept, and considering that's one of the key spots you really want to nail that.

The eyes seem a bit too sunken - casting more shadow then you may want. The concept seems really anime like, and smooth featured. The cheeks sag a bit, and I just noticed you chose red for the iris colour. That's a strange choice, combined with the sunken eyes/cheek bone definition you're creating some rodent like features I don't see in the concept. Awesome concept though. Only crit on that would be to maybe liven up the silhouette up a bit. All in all, cool work so far.
  • Kdawg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kdawg polycounter lvl 7
    @ CJE Thank you! I think a lot of that has to do with the lighting, but I do see that the AO is too strong.

@ Noth I completely agree with the face. I'm having a hard time matching it to my concept in 3D. Some of it is the lighting, and I think the normal map. I'm going to work on it some more! Thank you!
  • Shurkuris
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shurkuris polycounter lvl 3
    The Concept Art's Face reminds me of characters in Hellsing.

Maybe it's just the face, but looking at just the body. It feels more mature and adult-like vs the child/teenager like appearance in the Concept Art.

I also think the outfit you have chosen doesn't help as the Concept Art's is more simple and child-like. Keychain/necklace, no holster for the weapon, has a small simple leather backpack, has a more stylized round child's goggles, and is playing with a bomb with a skull on it.
  • Kdawg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kdawg polycounter lvl 7
    Alright so I've finished! I fixed up my engineer based on these suggestions, and did a second character.

tumblr_nkffbifOA61tuext1o2_1280.png

tumblr_nkffbifOA61tuext1o1_1280.png

As well as my demo reel for class

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XU1pMDEKBwo"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XU1pMDEKBwo[/ame]