Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

UE4 - Ebon Hawk Comm Room

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Buchananball polycounter lvl 6
Hi there all :)

So for one of my university projects I'm attempting to re-create one of the rooms from the Ebon Hawk, the main starship from Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic.

The room doesn't have to be 100% populated for the brief, we are meant to finish fleshing it out in our own time for showreel purposes, but anyway this it so far!

GjlokFS.jpg

xgp2wFZ.jpg

xgp2wFZ.jpg

Replies

• Dan Powell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan Powell polycounter lvl 5
    Looking good so far. :) I like the globe in the centre - though it feels like it should be translucent? You might be able to find some tutorials on Unreal 4 to make holographic materials.

You can add more polygons to the circular tunnels/doorways - you can see the faceting quite harshly; unless your polycount or art direction constricts this?
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    What fidelity are you aiming for? Current gen, or original gen?

And, oh man, the light and colors. You've basically nailed the base lighting I think, minus adjustments as more elements are blocked in.
  • Buchananball
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan Powell wrote: »
    Looking good so far. :) I like the globe in the centre - though it feels like it should be translucent? You might be able to find some tutorials on Unreal 4 to make holographic materials.

You can add more polygons to the circular tunnels/doorways - you can see the faceting quite harshly; unless your polycount or art direction constricts this?

Thanks man! I made some tweaks so please let me know if you think this is more approriate! I tried looking for hologramm tutorials in UE4 but couldn't find anything concrete so I kind of patched others together and winged it, let me know if I should change anything in the shader!

X8RpfAB.jpg
    fV7N3XO.jpg
    What fidelity are you aiming for? Current gen, or original gen?

And, oh man, the light and colors. You've basically nailed the base lighting I think, minus adjustments as more elements are blocked in.

Ahhh wow thanks man! For the brief my lecturer was a little unclear with our poly limits but we can use a total of 16k texture space over the room if thats any indication of what I should aim for? I tried to just use the topology I needed and no more, but I think I'll need to improve the cylindrical assets over the christmas break! And I'm hoping to push for current gen :)
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Whoa hey there. Don't use the specular input if this is UE4-- what effect are you aiming to get with that?
    Because the spec doesn't do what legacy spec does. UE4 uses the Metalness workflow, so you want a combination of metalness and roughness to better describe what spec used to do. You don't want to touch the spec slot probably.

http://www.marmoset.co/toolbag/learn/pbr-theory
    http://www.marmoset.co/toolbag/learn/pbr-practice

Maybe you already know this and are putting it into practice elsewhere, but I figured I'd mention it.
  • Buchananball
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero wrote: »
    Whoa hey there. Don't use the specular input if this is UE4-- what effect are you aiming to get with that?
    Because the spec doesn't do what legacy spec does. UE4 uses the Metalness workflow, so you want a combination of metalness and roughness to better describe what spec used to do. You don't want to touch the spec slot probably.

http://www.marmoset.co/toolbag/learn/pbr-theory
    http://www.marmoset.co/toolbag/learn/pbr-practice

Maybe you already know this and are putting it into practice elsewhere, but I figured I'd mention it.

Thanks for the info man! We hadn't really gone over PBR yet so this is really helpful, thank you! I'm now using the combo of metal+roughness like you suggested to get a better result :)