Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Male Anatomy Study - Critiques welcome

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
apollo580 polycounter lvl 9
Trying to improve my anatomy so created this guy. Hoping to get some advice on what to improve and what is wrong anatomy wise. Personally I was hoping for some guidance and help on the head, in general with the proportions and what Im doing wrong. Thanks!
9SR2juf.jpg

naUA7T3.jpg

xFV3ize.jpg

Z8lSgoz.jpg

Oos9wSb.jpg

rPNCrvq.jpg

Replies

• larvantholos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Take a wander over to a website called http://www.anatomy4sculptors.com/ - at a glance, you got basically no hips, which means that whole waist/midsection looks wrong, but it also throws off the whole gesture/balance of the character as his back is messed up. Beyond that, the arms look a little long, your legs are a bit bowed out. Take a look at the proportion guides on the website I pointed you to, it should help you get on track with this sculpt. Overall, its not bad tho, the head looks alright could use some attention on the cheeks, orbits of the eyes, I could go on more but, I think if you focus on the main forms a bit more, you will start to see how to fix some of the smaller details then.
  • dimosM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey apollo, there is a number of things wrong with the anatomy in your guy right now and i think that trying to address them all would be a little overwhelming.
    If you really want to do it right you need to study the origins and insertions of the muscles. There are some great books/online classes that can help you with that :
    Good luck :)
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Hey, Apollo. It's a start! Good job getting something out of your head and onto the canvas. You've also avoided a number of rookie mistakes, so that's awesome.

You've got a number of core issues wrong in both your body and facial anatomy, so I'll just ask: Are you using reference? How much? Any person in particular, or from drawings?

Would be cool if you could get back to us on that. :)
  • apollo580
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the input. So for the face, my reference is Travis Fimmel.

Im using the below images

94212-travis-fimmel-fotos-modelo-1.jpg

86533.jpg
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Yeah I think you need more ref. Seconding the suggestion of http://www.anatomy4sculptors.com/ (the Anatomy tab is worth its weight in pure gold).

Now the legs and feet actually stand out as pretty nice, so they're fine enough, but the way they attach to the torso is awkward from all angles-- pay attention to that area specifically. The head is a bit big. The lower arms/wrists/hands are extremely awkward, I'd suggest trying again with more ref.

The forearm should be a bit bulkier, gathering from the size and bulk of his upper arm, and his palm is too short. The general rule is that the length of the palm is as about as long as the length of the middle finger from the knuckle.
    xlarge-Upper-limb-Proportions-265.jpg

See also:
    https://www.anatomy4sculptors.com/anatomy/xlarge-Upper-limb-Block-outs-277.jpg
    https://www.anatomy4sculptors.com/anatomy/xlarge-Upper-limb-Block-outs-275.jpg

Just look at the entire full body/torso section and soak it all in though.

As for the head, your side profile is alright but your front on is... not great.
    Check the Planes of the Head ref and try to make sure everything is in proportion/properly defined.
    Also, Anatomy4Sculptors again. All of these and also all of these. The one about the overhang of the lip is very important.

Sorry for just throwing 293984949 links at you, hope this helps a little bit.
  • apollo580
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you so much for the help, I will try out those sites and try and work on the model!