Home Technical Talk

Max 2015 Standard Material Normal Maps

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Axi5 interpolator
Hey there,

I've read most of the threads about how no to trust 3ds max's viewport but even so just for a quick check I'm going in the right direction I still use it from time to time.

I haven't had problems with this in past versions of Max and I thought I didn't have a problem with it in 2015 either until recently. For some reason Max won't show my normal map in the viewport or render when it's plugged into a standard material. I'm starting to feel like I'm doing something wrong because this has always worked for me in the past. I can see it using their DX ShaderFX material and I can view the normal maps a diffuse when I enable show in viewport on the bitmap child.

Here's a quick shot of my material set up, see how it shows the normal map on the preview sphere:
a9bee789ca2470a4cb386757ff2ddac6.png

Did they change something? I'm on SP2 student edition. I tried this at my university and couldn't get it working there either.

Replies

• huffer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    huffer interpolator
    I think you need to go to View and choose hardware display materials with maps, or, use the slate editor, right click on your material and choose realistic display (the easier option).
  • Axi5
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axi5 interpolator
    huffer wrote: »
    I think you need to go to View and choose hardware display materials with maps, or, use the slate editor, right click on your material and choose realistic display (the easier option).

I couldn't find the option in the view menu like you suggested but spot on with slate material editor! I managed to find the same setting in the compact editor and now it shows in the viewport but it's really weird because the "shaded materials with maps" doesn't show it while in Shaded mode, but while still in shaded "Realistic maps with materials" works.

There seems to be some weird mis-matching going on.

Any way all's good with the world now thank you :)