Surface Pro 3 ?

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Alphavader polycounter lvl 11
Hello,

iam thinking getting an surface pro 3.
Really was between a new Desktop and a Surface. But
times change, iam on a desktop all day - i dont
think that i want to be on my desk after work (alot).

so be a bit more mobile and slim, decided to get an surface pro 3.
Ill use it for some small modeling, webdeisgn and photoshop.

What you guys think ? What about an 4GB or 8GB version ?
Cause for webdevelopment and programming, i dont thing that
i really need 8 - but on the other hand modeling can need some more memory.

Thanks,
Alpha

Replies

• Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    how much do you work with the pen? i would say get a surface pro 2 not the 3, the ntrig tech sadly isn't there yet. The pen it self works good, but the whole touch/multitouch/pen interaction is horrible compared to wacom powered devices.
    I would really like to like my surface pro 3, but sadly the lack of proper art tool bars for the shortcuts makes it an expensive webbrowser device for me :(
  • Alphavader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ah tanks neox,
    my girlfriend has an surface pro - and its like a brick compared to the third one.
    The second one can be an much ceaper option too..
    I think that i dont use the pen too often. The surface will be used for webdevelopment/surfing/movies - and photoshop image editing.
    Drawing and sculpting will be done but its not my priority (yet)

Do you have the 8gb model ?
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    I second the advice about getting a surface pro 2. I still have the original and love it. You can get them used for pretty cheap these days. If you want mobility but not necessarily need to use it on the go, Alienware ( http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-alpha/pd ) just came out with the first SteamMachine, which runs windows. You could just use that as a small PC on the go, plug it into the monitor at work and then at home.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    I haven't gotten a chance to use a SP3 on a lot of art programs just yet, but so far I've been liking it more than a cintiq 12wx. I've yet to see how it handles sculpting.
  • VPrime
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VPrime polycounter lvl 9
    Keep in mind as a laptop the surface kind of sucks..
    You really can't comfortably use it on your lap, you'll end up using a table/desk any ways. Unless you stick with it in tablet mode all the time.
  • Fogbrain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fogbrain polycounter lvl 5
    Neox wrote: »
    how much do you work with the pen? i would say get a surface pro 2 not the 3, the ntrig tech sadly isn't there yet. The pen it self works good, but the whole touch/multitouch/pen interaction is horrible compared to wacom powered devices.
    I would really like to like my surface pro 3, but sadly the lack of proper art tool bars for the shortcuts makes it an expensive webbrowser device for me :(

Sadly +1 to this.

It is the sad sad case for using SP3 with anything art related these days.
  • Alphavader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm thanks guys. So noone of you made
    a GOOD decision with the pro3 ?
    Iam wondering that the expensive one is an step back :D
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    have you guys tried it with art dock? iv been looking at picking up a surface pro 3 as well, mainly for sculpting work on the go, but im surprised to hear all the negative, might need to rethink now!
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the surface pro 3 is top notch hardware, no question about that, it is light it feels good in your hands. the fans can be a bit loud at times, weirdly mostly when using a browser. with zbrush it is all fine.

Sculpting with zbrush is good, not worse than the wacom devices. But to me it fails at the interaction with touch and multitouch. We don't have buttons so we need a touch bar to make it usable at least for alt, ctrl, and shift. Just to be able to navigate and quickly access simple brush options.

Chomp toolbar helps, i modified it for myself to be more like the artdock has been on my samsun slate. But it still isn't there yet, the bar constantly loses commands (which might not be Microsofts or N-Trigs fault), multitouch is not possible. So instead of using ctrl+alt with 2 fingers, you have to create a shortcut in your art bar that combines the two.
    Now we (a group of a hand full of polycounters calling ourselves surfaceprohipsters :P ) tried various things to make it work, but anything but the chomp toolbar failed.
    The type cover is a cool thing! man would it be kickass if you could use it in Portrait mode, basically holding the tablet with cover like a book. That would open up an infinite amount of shortcuts right in your lap, no more touch, a full keyboard. You would have to remap a lot to make it better usable tho...
    However in portrait mode the cover deactivates itself >_<
    The same happens for obvious reasons when you put the cover into the back of your device, but damn give me an option to at least try if it could work.

The pen is allright, i liked the one of the Samsung slate more from it's shape but it is good to sculpt with. I do not draw on it ever, so i can't say anything about it.
    The pen buttons are ridiculous, you can't remap them, which is the worst to me.
    The front button is Erase, not the shortcut E or anything, it is erase in most tools, including PS and Onenote, nothing else you could remap.
    The second button is the rightclick, you need to press, then you have to tap the tablet to use it. Sometimes you need to do a small stroke to activate it. It is horrible, pretty much unusable in it's current state. Whoever designed it, never used it for anything but maybe opening one rightclick menu in windows or something.
    The third button on the back is the One-Note button. You read right, it opens One Note.
    It is the only button you can remap within the driver, sounds cool eh?
    You can remap it from One-Note to One-Note Desktop!
    However with autohotkey you can fetch the signal and remap it. i got it to start zbrush and artbar if zbrush is closed on one click, and double click closes both if they are running.

As said, i would like to like it. And i can see me loving it, as much as i loved my (sadly cracked) Samsung Slate with the Artdock. But it isn't there and i kinda gave up on driver updates fixing those issues.

@JohnnyRaptor: there is no artdock for the surface pro 3, or did they make it work with N-Trig? The creator himself bets on a Toolbar creator someone is making, but i might not be up to date.

http://surfaceproartist.com/blog/2014/10/12/toolbar-creator-makes-custom-artdocks-easy

i didn't have time to test it in a while, but back then, touch and multitouch together with the pen did not work :(
  • Alphavader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks alto Neox for your Feedback.
    Interesting to read.
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    good writeup Neox, and wasnt aware art dock only works for 1/2 and not 3! But from your link it looks like there might be a workaround.

Hmm, very frustrating..the hardware is topnotch and screen and build quality all seem great, but damn shame a few thoughtless design choices seems to have handicapped it for artists. I was certain i had found a portable sculpting solution :(
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    actually i understand their design choices and overall they are not bad, for the average user, the problem i have is the lack of posibility to change the default setup.

let us remap the buttons on the pen
    let us use the typecover as we like without any restrictions

and most would be settled by just these two options. besides that a working solution with multitouch WHILE the pen is on the display would be really good.
    Sadly i am not coder enough to develop it myself based on my changes to the chomp toolbar.
    If anyone could get a bar that never loses a touch command we would be HUGE steps into the right direction, multitouch is just a nice to have.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    hmm thanks guys. So noone of you made a GOOD decision with the pro3 ?
    I'd like to reiterate that I've been thoroughly enjoying mine so far, perhaps more than the equally-priced Wacom equivalent that I use everyday (the cintiq has the raw processing power of my desktop, but the surface has so much portability).
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    actually i understand their design choices and overall they are not bad, for the average user, the problem i have is the lack of posibility to change the default setup.

let us remap the buttons on the pen
    let us use the typecover as we like without any restrictions

and most would be settled by just these two options. besides that a working solution with multitouch WHILE the pen is on the display would be really good.
    Sadly i am not coder enough to develop it myself based on my changes to the chomp toolbar.
    If anyone could get a bar that never loses a touch command we would be HUGE steps into the right direction, multitouch is just a nice to have.

Are you able to turn off all the touch capability while you work with the pen? I kinda wish it just worked like a cintiq that didn't have any touch capability. I've found it annoying to worry about accidental input.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    usually when the pen is on the surface, the touch is disable. but to have shortcuts on screen you need to enable it in a certain area, which is what doesn't work that great so far.
  • Fifa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fifa polycounter lvl 8
    I've had the surface pro 3 for about 2 months now and absolutely love it. I highly recommend it if you have a workstation where you can leave heavy duty work to. I basically treat this as a light laptop for browsing, some 2D work (photoshop, mypaint, krita) and also play games on it...the keyboard is actually surprisingly performing well when I play on the train on my way to work. So far, I've played Broken Sword 5 and now am playing Shovel Knight...battery holds pretty well too when I play. My only gripe is the stylus not being built into the surface pro... if only there was a way to "tuck it in" somehow. That, and waiting for the ability to assign buttons of the stylus (probably just a matter of time...). Otherwise - it's a really well-designed, well-made hardware. You can feel the quality of the build.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    when you have your type cover closed, there is a small gap in it at the bottom of the screen, right next to the connector, basically it's joint, the pen fits perfectly in there.

damn my bad english, hope you understand ^^
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    hey was looking to get a tablet/pc have any of you guys tried the The Cintiq Companion? is it worth getting?
  • Fifa
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fifa polycounter lvl 8
    Steffen - I know what you mean (and your English is fine) but that is kind of "poor" if I compare it to something like the Lenovo X230T. The stylus was designed to be a part of the hardware and as such, has a much better change of survival (as in, not getting lost/displaced) I think...

but this is just the details :) i really love this little machine. MS really did a good job imo.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Okay remapping works! awesome i have a proper working right and middle click now, sadly the radial menu works as a toggle per key instead of having alt pressed while i hold it activates or deactivates it when i tap it. So no sticky keys with radial menu. However Chomp toolbar can do this. Lets see how the combination of the two will work.
    I just hope that the missing button presses on chomp will be fixed one day or a different toolbar pops up.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I take that back, you can change the hotkey to Hold, which is a sticky key. it feels much more responsive now, i tried the toolbarmaker as well and compared it with chomp. The Toolbar by Radial Menu is so far the best thing. It feels good, i would love to be able to have just one row of bigger buttons and an alt icon in case you pressed. but as i do not lose any commands as far as i have tested, this is up to par.

NICE!

I have to change my review then, now it is very usable and very good. Only downside is, as said, the lack of multitouch (which is only a nice to have not a must) and the pressurepoint of the pen buttons But besides that, it is kick ass! need to sculpt more at the weekly sketchgroup.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    Awesome tool Neox, thanks for sharing the link!
  • Alphavader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    what a great tool ;) - ill look into it.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Neox is the multi touch software restricted? I thought the surface 3 had something like 10 point multi touch?
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    as said, the hardware is willing but the software is weak

but it's really more a luxury thing, the state it is in now, thanks to radial menu is very workable and enjoyable.
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    as said, the hardware is willing but the software is weak

but it's really more a luxury thing, the state it is in now, thanks to radial menu is very workable and enjoyable.

Ah heres hoping more companies support it.
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    whats the temperature and fan noise like when using with zbrush/maya etc ?
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    funnily the fannoise is usually only harsh when i browse or skype, which is really bad because calling without a headset is close to impossible. no clue how close that fans are to the mic inside the thing but it is as if you are standing at very windy factory.

it's not getting hot in zbrush either, usually it's warm and some times a bit warmer but not like super hot.
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    great, thanks for the info neox,
  • JordanLeigh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanLeigh polycounter lvl 9
    If it doesn't have multi touch support how would you mask in zbrusb and smooth etc??

Do you have to use seperate individual brushes?
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If it doesn't have multi touch support how would you mask in zbrusb and smooth etc??

Do you have to use seperate individual brushes?

with the right tool (in my case radial menue) you can
  • JordanLeigh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    with the right tool (in my case radial menue) you can

Sorry just a bit confused. Does this allow you to use the touch screen as well as the pen? So holding ctrl or shift whilst using the pen?
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • JordanLeigh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yes

Okay so it supports pen and touch in zbrush now at the same time?

As of this new update, is there anything else holding this back for Sculpting?
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i am not particularly fond of how the radial menu thumbboard looks like, but that should not stop you. the surface pro3 now is pretty much what was looking for, works great. One minor downside is, that when using the move brush (no idea why) i have a very slight lag.
    but i can use zbrush without any troubles
  • dblaze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have an SP3 and it is pretty awesome. I use it mostly for programming though.
  • JordanLeigh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i am not particularly fond of how the radial menu thumbboard looks like, but that should not stop you. the surface pro3 now is pretty much what was looking for, works great. One minor downside is, that when using the move brush (no idea why) i have a very slight lag.
    but i can use zbrush without any troubles

Cool thanks for all your replies. Last one now haha, have you tried marmoset or 3ds max on this?
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool thanks for all your replies. Last one now haha, have you tried marmoset or 3ds max on this?

no i only sculpt on it
  • weee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    weee polycounter lvl 3
    how does the pen work with Photoshop? does it support pressure sensitivity in Photoshop and other apps, other than this, Surface looks like a wonderful tablet for coding.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yes it has pressure sensitivity in Photoshop or zBrush, or Mangastudio, Autodesk sketchbook etc.
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    Surface 3 announced (non-pro): http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Surface-3/productID.314885500

This is quite interesting. X7-cherry trail with optional n-trig pen, up to 4gb of ram, 10 hour battery.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Fuiosg wrote: »
    Surface 3 announced (non-pro): http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/msusa/en_US/pdp/Surface-3/productID.314885500

This is quite interesting. X7-cherry trail with optional n-trig pen, up to 4gb of ram, 10 hour battery.

Basically if you want a really slow surface 3, then sure!
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    aesir wrote: »
    Basically if you want a really slow surface 3, then sure!

There's videos of baytrail running zbrush, this is cherry trail and is said to have twice the performance graphically as baytrail. Atoms still aren't serious work CPUs but they are becoming much more respectable.

What's nice is the sheer portability, 1.3 pounds, 10.8". To me it's more attractive than a surface pro 3 since I would never do serious 3D work on a tablet anyway.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Fuiosg wrote: »
    There's videos of baytrail running zbrush, this is cherry trail and is said to have twice the performance graphically as baytrail. Atoms still aren't serious work CPUs but they are becoming much more respectable.

What's nice is the sheer portability, 1.3 pounds, 10.8". To me it's more attractive than a surface pro 3 since I would never do serious 3D work on a tablet anyway.

I'll wait on some benchmarks.

But yea, I didn't mean to sound too down on it. I don't think a surface could ever compare to a desktop setup for getting real work done and this could probably work well for some light sketching.