Home Quixel Megascans

SOLVED: Prefer the old free DDO version

gnoop
polycounter
Offline / Send Message
gnoop polycounter
The new one hangs all the time. Plus to be honest I don't understand the new one absolutely . After a few useless tutorials on you tube I still have no idea how to set weathering details/masks and can't get anything looking realistic. While the free one, even working somewhat slow and unresponsive, didn't make me any essential problems.

Do somebody know a good tutorial of how to make/adjust all the dirt and weathering effects?

Replies

• Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gnoop - Sorry to hear that you dont find the new suite satisfactory, we´re really pushing for more tutorials and learning materials and it will come in due time!

Did you mean tutorials on dirt and weathering effects for the old or new suite?
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    I would appreciate both for the old and new one. I specifically interested how all the tweaks work and what they mean with picture examples. Although I find the old DDO settings mostly understandable some of them still makes me wonder why I get anything but what I actually wanted.

As of new DDO what I found by now is mask tweaks. Looks like olf DDO has more possibilities. I can't find old streaks direction dial for example.

Also it hangs in every few minutes and tells me I have not supported PS version . I have CS5 one. Not sure if it's really so or just an error.

One more thing that bother me is that when I try to recalculate in bigger resolution mask details don't change its scale accordingly
  • Martin_H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Martin_H polycounter lvl 6
    I feeld kinda similar to gnoop in that I got more usefull results from the old DDO. I have not done very much testing though. I checked back every few versions, couldn't get the results that I wanted and quickly gave up to wait for the next release. I haven't eliminated to possibility that I'm just feeding it the wrong maps or something like that yet. To do that I wanted to experiment with something where I know exactly how it should look correctly, namely the sphere thingy from the material browser. I guessed that had to be somewhere in the quixel suite directory and I found the maps but didn't find the mesh.

@Eric: great to see you guys being so active around here!
    Could you please point me to where I can find the mesh from the material preset browser so that I can do some testing? Thanks a lot in advance.
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gnoop - You can find some tutorials and walkthroughs of the old and new tools in Quixels youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/quixelteddy

Also the wiki is filled with some great information!
    http://quixel.se/usermanual/quixelsuite/doku.php

We are working on more tutorials and learning materials at the moment!

What kind of errors do you get when it hangs?

When you recalculate to bigger resolution make sure that your texeldensity is relative to the new resolution as it was to the old!

Martin_H - Sorry to hear that, but maybe watching a few videos on the quixel youtube channel can change your mind, its a very powerful tool once you get in to it :)

Unfortunately the mesh for the material preset browser is not available to the public as of now. Hope you mange anyways!
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    Thanks Eric. Unfortunately most tutorials don't explain falloff and edge detection settings. So it mostly miss and hit. I get more predictable results yet with 3dmax fallofs and ctrl_occlusion/ dirt shaders with its curve based adjustments.

As of errors I have mostly two kind of errors. The preview window stops updating without any notice.

Another one just shows me a message that the suite stops responding because of incompatible PS version
  • Martin_H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Martin_H - Sorry to hear that, but maybe watching a few videos on the quixel youtube channel can change your mind, its a very powerful tool once you get in to it :)

Unfortunately the mesh for the material preset browser is not available to the public as of now. Hope you mange anyways!

Oh I know what the new DDO can do, hence my frustration why I couldn't get it to do that ^^. I did a few dozen tests yesterday and I think I finally start to get usable results:

sch303m-wip7.jpg

I should mention that I always wanted to use DDO to texture highpoly meshes, so instead of tangentspace normals and ambient occlusion I was feeding it object space normals, ambient occlusion and curvature map bakes from xnormal. It seems that the curvature map you feed into it has an incredible influence on the end result when using smart materials. If you don't have a curvature map that does look pretty much exactly as what you were using to create the material previews, then applying the smart material to your mesh will look totally different than in the material browser.
    That's the hunch I had before I did my testing and also the reason I asked for your mesh. Checking the bakes I found for your preset I see ambient occlusion, height map and tangentspace normals. Two of which I didn't know how to bake for my highpoly. I was speculating that you didn't bake a curvature map for it and let it generate the curvature map automatically from the tangentspace normals. Reading some more on the forum I got the impression, that that is what many people do, that don't struggle the way I do.
    While searching I have found some info on curvature maps in Teddy's posts and in the manual. One suggestion was to create it from a highpass filter on the ambient occlusion bake. Another approach was to bake an objectspace normal map from the highpoly, blur it with smart blur in photoshop and use xnormal to calculate a tangentspace map from it. I don't really understand the details of how this works, especially why it should be smart blur instead of gaussian blur. I need to do some more testing on that and especially compare it to using handplane with highpoly mesh and blurred objectspace normals.
    The way I went with was to use the curvature map from xnormal and highpass filter it so that the bigger shading differences go away and the neutral zones are 50% grey. I've also tried some variations on dilation and bit depth and it seems to work best when I go for 8 bit maps with a lot of dilation/padding on the curvature map. I still havent figured out what the best treatment for the ao map is.
    Also I found out that using xnormal with the same highpoly mesh for high- and lowpoly slot allows you to bake out a tangentspace map with information in it. I don't understand why it does that. If I try the same in blender it turns out solid blue color, which is what I'd expect it to do. I have yet to find out which kind of tangentspace "faked" normal map works best for highpoly meshes.

Could you please point me towards documentation or videos that go in depth on what DDO expects its input maps exactly to look like? I believe that could be key to get users like gnoop and me on the right track: a trouble-shooting guide with an example mesh and example bakes including pictures of screwed DDO output caused by feeding it the wrong maps and how to fix them.

@gnoop: did anything of the above help you in your use-cases?

Does anyone have an idea how to fake a usable heightmap from only a highpoly mesh? Maybe also something with blurred normals and Photoshop/NDO? Maybe use NDO to convert the fake tangentspace normal map to a heightmap, did anyone try that? Or is that what DDO does anyway if you provide it with tangentspace normals but not a height map?
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That is some really nice results!

I understand your frustration, we´ve had some troubles with that ourselves actually, finding the best way to get a good curvature. That is one of the main reasons that the new baking tool is being made, it will make it much easier to work with high poly meshes. The project I am currently working on is all high-poly, and it works great, but I agree that we need more documentation!

The curvatures I am currently using are baked from the mesh in X-normal and they seem to do the trick quite well, have you tried this already?
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    Thanks Martin for the sugestions. I found that with the curvature map from X normal (default settings) it works a bit better in general.
    But my problem that I rarely do anything "painted metal with scratches" all DDO looks like focused on. I do environment textures mostly and still can't find streaks mask details and such I use extensively in free DDO.
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    Thanks Martin for the sugestions. I found that with the curvature map from X normal (default settings) it works a bit better in general.
    But my problem that I rarely do anything "painted metal with scratches" all DDO looks like focused on. I do environment textures mostly and still can't find streaks mask details and such I use extensively in free DDO.
  • Martin_H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @gnoop: Ah, I see. I also thought the old DDO felt a bit more "procedural" which also had its drawbacks in that rerendering at higher resolution often looked too different for me. But I too would like to see some of the old effects coming back.

@Eric: I noticed the mouseover popup for the ID map has example pictures of good and bad input maps. I think that is something that would be beneficial for all the map types.

I'm looking forward to see your highpoly project when it's done! And a Quixel baketool also sounds like a gread addition to the suite. Will it be named BDO? ^^

I did try x-normal bakes for the curvature, but straight from the bake tool I never got good results. I made a new lowpoly mesh for my model, unwrapped it better and did new bakes. I found out, that the curvature bake result depends heavily on the size of the mesh. Those are both default settings (except for the monochrome output) with the mesh scale set from 1 (first) to 30 in the second one.

schrade-test1_curvature.jpg

schrade-test2_curvature.jpg

I work in blender and that seems to output rather small models at the size I like to work on them. So I have to adjust the bake settings which I found out just now, noob mistake I guess.

Now here are the 2k maps that I tried to use in the following DDO tests.

Normals:
    schrade-lowpoly_normals.jpg

Curvature:
    schrade-lowpoly_curvature.jpg

I started with work resolution 25%, texel density set to 4k and fed normals and curvature map to DDO:
    schrade-xnormal-curvature-25percent.jpg
    Quite underwhelming. I use the Military Metal preset for all my tests by the way.

So I rerendered at full resolution with the same maps:
    schrade-xnormal-curvature-100percent.jpg
    Looks a lot more useful, but also tells me that the low working resolution feature does not work at all with that kind of map input.

So I tried the highpass trick (8px radius) on the curvature again:
    schrade-xnormal-curvature-highpassed-100percent.jpg
    Now this is something I can use!

This is how the highpassed curvature map looks:
    schrade-lowpoly_curvature-highpassed-8px.jpg

But lets keep trying stuff out. This is what I get when I only feed the tangentspace normals to DDO:
    schrade-just-tangentspace-normals-100percent.jpg

Also quite good and I see why someone wouldn't want to go through the trouble of baking a curvature map if he can get so far with only tangentspace normals.

I haven't tested using an additional AO bake yet, mainly because I screwed up the bake. Also I had to use Marmoset via cross-app mode (Awesome feature! A pitty that I have to reclick the link button every time I want an update after reimporting the maps *hint* ;) ) because in 3DO it looked like this:

schrade-3do-screen35.png

Which is weird, because I didn't have many problems with it in the past.
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    I could never go back to the old one, especially since it was so procedural , having the masking in invaluable
  • OutOfMyMind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OutOfMyMind polycounter lvl 5
    Martin_H Can you give more details on your curvature map? Is this AO + Highpass or a Xnormal bake(if so can you make pic of settings?)?
  • Martin_H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @OutOfMyMind: which one do you mean? There are 4 different curvature maps in my last post, 3 baked straight from Xnormal as a monochrome curvature map and 1 is a version where I applied an additional 8px highpass filter to an Xnormal bake.
  • OutOfMyMind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I meant last one. But now I get it, I thought that you maybe used High pass on an AO.
    I never managed to create useful curvature map... Maybe because I operate on low poly :/
  • Martin_H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This one: http://www.keinebilder.de/download/schrade-lowpoly_curvature-highpassed-8px.jpg

was made with these xnormal settings:

rays: 128
    spread angle: 162
    bias: 0.0001
    algorithm: average
    distribution: cosine
    search distance: 0,05
    tone mapping: monochrome
    smoothing: yes
    background color: black

Except for search distance and monochrome tonemapping those are the default values of my xnormal version.
    The search distance is the important one and you have to experiment with that value to match your meshes. If the map looks too much like an AO map try decreasing the distance, if it looks too flat and grey try increasing it.

Then apply a highpass filter in Photoshop. Again you will have to try different values for the highpass radius. DDO is very sensitive about the curvature maps you feed into it. The radius should match the size of your model and size of your texture. I chose 8px for my 2k bakes. You could start with that and then go up or down with the radius and try reimporting the maps.

Hope that helps.
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The curvature baker will be available for DDO with the next release so hopefully that will help with these troubles :)
  • endeffect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    endeffect polycounter lvl 8
    Hey Eric, can you give more information about the new baker? I experienced quite same problems and experiences as martin's did, but i was trying to achive clean and standart curvature bake from medium, not high poly model (Because the project im working on is a little bit cheap and i don't want to make high and low poly for everything.) At last i found best results from modo's baker, but i still need to tweak almost all smart material settings and i'm eyeballing my baked curvature map to merge with ndo's curvature map from ndo normal map.

It's quite sure new baker will bake textures with high poly and low poly, what about only high poly and medium poly models? Most renderers i tried was baking only vertex data (not pixel) to curvature and that was the biggest problem i had. I'm really excited about new baker's features. If you can give more information i'll stop trying to improve my current workflow and wait for the new baker :)
  • Eric Ramberg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It will support both! highpoly and lowpoly, also fom highpoly+ detail normal and lowpoly + normal :)
  • endeffect
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    endeffect polycounter lvl 8
    It's nice to hear that :) Thanks for the response.
  • gnoop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gnoop polycounter
    I could never go back to the old one, especially since it was so procedural , having the masking in invaluable

It was not especially procedural, just has a bit more weathering effects that makes it suitable for wider appliance imo.

A kind of painted metal with worn edges could be easily done in 3d soft itself with edge/dirt/curvature/ctl_occlusion shaders/maps whatever they call it. I see one even for Blender. And with real time previews that works generally quicker then Quicksel/Photoshop it's easier to setup, works without UVs and don't turn into a mess of layers and masks thanks to modern node editors.

The realistic weathering. rust with streaks, cracked paint etc. are the whole different story and old free DDO can do a few pretty nice ones
  • OutOfMyMind
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Martin_H - Thank you. That helped me to understand curvature baking :)

Baked that with 0.03 search distance:

eZrlGt7.jpg

Ran a 6px High pass on a 2k map:

EACduJT.jpg

and the result is satisfying - first time I've made a useful curv map :) Doesn't work out of the box but does the job.
  • Martin_H
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Glad I could help :)
  • grimsonfart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    grimsonfart polycounter lvl 4
    I was thinking the exact same thing a few months back when i first got the beta. I just couldn't wrap my head around it until suddenly everything just made sense. I'v had a lot of success with it, the only drawback right now is the limited PBR materials DDO offers.

If there is anything i also can help with, just ask me and i will answer quickly, i probably have like 100 hours in the Suite now haha.

Feel free to request video tutorials as well, i do those from time to time.