Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Unreal project advices (Room 1408)

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Leon_Raven polycounter lvl 9
Hello everyone,

I'm currently working on this UDK project, and I've got inspired by the movie "1408" to create this 3D environment.

Here are some screenshot from the project.

FyvFe9k.png6bAb4KI.jpgOL5Fo82.png

This is the kind of lighting I'm going for, but it still needs some work. Doe anyone knows how to get a nice beam of light like the one in the image in UDK:

NF6Ssux.png
QwpgFpY.png

Replies

• Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    Generate a clean version of the room first in its entirety.... then burn it down.
  • Leon_Raven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you, Gannon. Unfortunately I will have to do it later since this is a Uni project and the deadline is in two weeks. But thank you for the advice!
  • Leon_Raven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update: worked on the lighting and finished adding textures and some more geometry to create the bricks in the crack. Brick texture is the one from the Unreal4 Default Materials.

8TXl7ob.pngyAqVuXU.png8TXl7ob,yAqVuXU,mtKTSO8#2
  • Leon_Raven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Finalhart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Finalhart polycounter lvl 6
    The room is too dark, put a blue-ish light and yellow light form the window to have the same contrast as the reference. It will also help so others can see your assets better.
  • Leon_Raven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you all for your critiques.

This is where I am at now:

Put more light in it and did some more color correction:

JJ2Rwfr.jpg
    crguKmL.jpg
    06Hh7IW.jpg
    OGk8SUi.jpg
  • JamesMeader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesMeader polycounter lvl 9
    I'll also say its still too dark. Its fair enough trying to create an atmosphere but you also what to be able to see the amount of time and effort spent on the piece. Maybe adding a broken lights on the ceiling, could eventually have them flickering therefore adding even more character.

keep up the good work and good luck.
  • Leon_Raven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'll also say its still too dark. Its fair enough trying to create an atmosphere but you also what to be able to see the amount of time and effort spent on the piece. Maybe adding a broken lights on the ceiling, could eventually have them flickering therefore adding even more character.

keep up the good work and good luck.

Thank you!

I'll think about this for the alternative lighting scene I'm working on right now. I'll update the thread tomorrow!

Thank you again for all the critiques, you guys are really helpful!
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    Its also super dark and cannot see anything, maybe some orange ambient lighting or something
  • Leon_Raven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you all for the advices. I changed some stuff and tried to add more light in it.

This is how it looked back in december, for the lighting brief.

https://vimeo.com/114689139
  • Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    Try using a "skylight" if you haven't already, as well as baking lightmass for global illumination (which you could even boost if you feel like delving into that)

A couple of the brighter lighting setups and particularly the blue one looked closer to the films lighting in the video.

You might also want to possibly look into tweaking the value/brightness of your diffuse maps (hard to tell currently what value they actually are), as the wooden debris looks particularly black compared to the other burned areas.

You may try looking at the burnt objects in the room of from the film to try and get an idea of whether your textures might be too dark.

Having somethings lit by fresnel/rim lighting might also help pop out some objects but I'd keep it rather subtle since its an indoor scene. Feel free to use "fake" light sources as well to have full control over how its lit. (IE fill lights, secondary lights, etc. with shadows turned off them so its not noticeably breaking the whole laws of shadows and physical light sources) Think of lighting a scene in a game as more of a Hollywood or Theater type approach, and if you think it really needs a lot more lighting that will be more noticeable than ambient you could always add in a model such as a knocked over lantern/flashlight/etc to give it a point of reference to the player, or perhaps something is still burning a bit.
  • Leon_Raven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick wrote: »
    Try using a "skylight" if you haven't already, as well as baking lightmass for global illumination (which you could even boost if you feel like delving into that)

I will have to look into that... I sincerely have no idea how to do that!
    A couple of the brighter lighting setups and particularly the blue one looked closer to the films lighting in the video.

You might also want to possibly look into tweaking the value/brightness of your diffuse maps (hard to tell currently what value they actually are), as the wooden debris looks particularly black compared to the other burned areas.

Yeah, that's the texture for sure, they were very dark on the wood planks sticking out from the floor.
    You may try looking at the burnt objects in the room of from the film to try and get an idea of whether your textures might be too dark.

Having somethings lit by fresnel/rim lighting might also help pop out some objects but I'd keep it rather subtle since its an indoor scene. Feel free to use "fake" light sources as well to have full control over how its lit. (IE fill lights, secondary lights, etc. with shadows turned off them so its not noticeably breaking the whole laws of shadows and physical light sources) Think of lighting a scene in a game as more of a Hollywood or Theater type approach, and if you think it really needs a lot more lighting that will be more noticeable than ambient you could always add in a model such as a knocked over lantern/flashlight/etc to give it a point of reference to the player, or perhaps something is still burning a bit.

Thank you! I haven't thought about switching the shadows off! That's actually a very smart thing I could've done!

Thank you, again!