Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

VLTOR SBR Rifle Need Help!

Sammy101
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Sammy101 polycounter lvl 6
Hey, I'm currently modelling a M4 with VLTOR attachments on it. I have references but not as many as I'd like. This is my progress so far in the picture below. I am however needing help on the VLTOR stock, which is the picture below the first one.

d306c13521.jpg
(pic deleted from puush directory on accident -_-
f287928fb5.jpg

As you can see I am missing the top piece of the stock, however i have not enough reference to show if the piece is just one whole piece, or if it is seperate pieces. From what I see from the different pictures I am guessing there are multiple objects? But if I could get some help on figuring out whether to make it multiple or whole pieces would be amazing.

Here is the whole reference I am going for, but I am also taking pieces from other references.

043b5f7885.jpg

Replies

• Sammy101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshuaG wrote: »
    I recommend you should submit this to the November Guns and Firearms challenge since it's based around the M16/AR-15/M4 platform.
    Hmm okay. Sounds good. I will submit it in case people like it. Also working on body while stock question still stands.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    for you and the rest of the people doing the AR, don't forget that the part of the lower receiver that attaches to the stock tube isn't completely round. It flattens at the top.

D10689.jpg
  • Sammy101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    for you and the rest of the people doing the AR, don't forget that the part of the lower receiver that attaches to the stock tube isn't completely round. It flattens at the top.

D10689.jpg

Thanks I have this though. Are both pieces flat? Cause on one of my references it's a circle, and the upper piece has the flat part. I am a bit confused now.

e2c12b8821.jpg
  • Sammy101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update, finally got around to finishing the rest of the high poly. Some of the items on the M4 are slightly inaccurate, but I don't mind.

46d83df503.jpg

08cfcc9c66.jpg

d9376222f0.jpg
  • Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 12
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    Awesome! nice edge width :)
  • CougarJo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CougarJo polycounter lvl 6
    Niiice! Love the hand guard! Can we see wireframes? :D
  • Sammy101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CougarJo wrote: »
    Niiice! Love the hand guard! Can we see wireframes? :D
    Hey thanks. Wireframes for some pieces wouldn't look to hot as I use ngons to speed up workflow, if they're not detrimental to the model. I can still show you them if you want to see though lol.
    komaokc wrote: »
    Awesome! nice edge width :)
    Thanks lol.
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Looking good but the proportions remind me a lot of a STG 44
    are you sure the front guard and sights are correctly proportioned ?
    the handguard looks very thin as well
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You have loads of proportion issues with the gun, not to mention inacuracies in the modeling.

All of this stuff should have been resolved in the blockout stage.

These are just a few that i saw on that single pic. Didn't look at the right side of the gun. You have to do that yourself and have a critical eye for your own eye and see if your model looks like the photos you are using as reference.
    That's basically it. You need to have a very critical eye towards your own stuff and want to have it look like the real deal and not cut corners.

Weapons are a easy thing to get wrong if you don't follow them accurately because there are so many photos out there and it's easy to see what's looking wrong.

And it's up to you to decided how accurate you want it to be.

Things that are so close to screen can't just be good enough.

crit.jpg
  • AlexRodriguez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexRodriguez polycounter lvl 6
    The left side is wrong on upper receiver that version is with the intergrated forward assist design you have the detachable version.
  • Sammy101
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The left side is wrong on upper receiver that version is with the intergrated forward assist design you have the detachable version.

Yeah probably. I'm not to big of a gun enthusiast but I'm sure you're right.
    You have loads of proportion issues with the gun, not to mention inacuracies in the modeling.

All of this stuff should have been resolved in the blockout stage.

These are just a few that i saw on that single pic. Didn't look at the right side of the gun. You have to do that yourself and have a critical eye for your own eye and see if your model looks like the photos you are using as reference.
    That's basically it. You need to have a very critical eye towards your own stuff and want to have it look like the real deal and not cut corners.

Weapons are a easy thing to get wrong if you don't follow them accurately because there are so many photos out there and it's easy to see what's looking wrong.

And it's up to you to decided how accurate you want it to be.

Things that are so close to screen can't just be good enough.

Thanks man for taking the time for the drawout. Definitely see a lot of mistakes I made from the pic you made, which I'm very grateful for. I wasn't going for an insane amount of accuracy so I was being lenient with lots of it, but it definitely would help if I just went all in for accuracy. Thanks for taking the time to critique, needed the advice. :)

Shrike wrote: »
    Looking good but the proportions remind me a lot of a STG 44
    are you sure the front guard and sights are correctly proportioned ?
    the handguard looks very thin as well

Hey yeah I don't know exactly but I used this picture for the base reference for lots of it.

44b5f4ce1e.jpg
  • DarkStar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice. Almost perfect. Keep it up!