Home 2D Art Showcase & Critiques

Cars Drifting

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
splicer polycounter lvl 7
Pushed myself to do the best I could I these two. The Lambo I wanted to have as many light sources as possible all coming from an emitter in the scene.

Love to hear what you guys think.:poly108:

nissan_s13_4_colored_by_splicer-d86yk08.jpg

lambodriftcolor_by_splicer-d68wt7s.jpg

Replies

• acapulco
    Offline / Send Message
    acapulco polycounter lvl 9
    Those frontwheels kill it for me. They just look absolutely broken and would never work on a car.
    You really captured the movement very well, but you could do better on the reflections on the car. They both look kinda matte. Perhaps you wanted a matte finish, but it looks kinda cheap on these. The yellowish side light in the top one and top light on the bottom one also don't really fit. they kinda stick out.
    Look at some carfotography for reference, they know how to light a car! I'm sure you did, but take a little closer look how reflections and light works on carpaint.
  • splicer
    Offline / Send Message
    The front wheels are drawn like that with intention. It's an after market custom mod on drift cars called a knuckle mod. The front suspension hub is cut, rewelded, and the a-arm extended to give the car more angle. I've seen it done more extreme than even this before.

tumblr_mx59xkm5of1r142ewo1_500_by_splicer-d870078.jpg

As for the lighting I would definitely agree with you on all the points. I finished the green one a few days ago and that orange light has been bothering me. It's supposed to be the sky reflecting back on the opposite side where we can't see it during a sunrise but I guess it didn't come through properly. I used no reference for the lighting.

lambodriftbig_by_splicer-d66d1m1.jpg

s13_14_drifting_down_hill_lineart_by_splicer-d4mbyck.jpg

I work in the comic book style, so I sketch, ink, then color. I'll push it more towards realism on the next car illustration I do. Thanks for the tips.
  • acapulco
    Offline / Send Message
    acapulco polycounter lvl 9
    Wow, I didn't know a thing like that existed. That looks ridiculous ^^

Your approach is not wrong in any way, shape or form. Keep doing it! You will get even better results as time goes on, I'm sure =) Only use more references!
  • splicer
    Offline / Send Message
    Those drifters are mad scientists! lol Can never have enough angle!

It can be a little time consuming using that style, but I find I have more control over the colors in the end this way, also making changes is easier. Thanks for the words of encouragement. I'll make another thread with my character illustrations.

Also I checked out your portfolio. Really nice stuff you have, love your Axculho gallery especially!
  • pior
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    While the angle of the wheels might be correct, on your drawings it still looks like half of the wheels are sticking out of the body of the cars, while it is much less extreme on the reference. The photographs also show that there is a bit of a gap between the tires and the edge of the body of the cars, while on your images it looks as if the rubber is grinding against it. I think it would be worth addressing.

Besides that I really like your comic book style rendering - you did a very good job at taking these inked drawings and pushing them to the next level.
  • splicer
    Offline / Send Message
    I thought the photo of the S chassis with a knuckle modification was sufficient to illustrate my point of the caster and angle of my drawing is based on real world engineering, not something wrong, but deliberate. So I'll post another photo.

10494557_692474737501743_5764535080103656673_n_by_splicer-d87d8g3.jpg

This is my friend's car, his new one, the illustration is based on his old one. I know some guys who's cars are so low the front tire grinds into the fiber glass front fender creating a notched groove in the fiber glass as it grinds into it.

I'm a mechanic as well as an illustrator and creator. I can blindly draw a unibody car with no fenders or bumpers, then draw in the engine connected to the chassis, connect the front and rear subframes as well as the drive shaft as it connects to the differential and output shafts, as they connect to the suspension link set ups. I may not be perfect in my human anatomy, but I know my automotive anatomy through and through. Which is why I can draw cars the way I'm able to. I work on cars as a hobby but I've worked on hundreds cars. So let us move past the front tires looking broken or off, because they are not, they are like that by design to serve a purpose: to give the car more angle as it slides.

Also it's stylized so lower than it should be. Also check out how one tire is off the ground in that photo!

Going to make a new thread with my human illustrations, feel free to dig into those as much as you like. I'm always looking to improve as much as possible.

And just cause I like to show off. My 2 s chassis. Nissan 240sx in USA. S14 and 180sx in Europe and Japan.

dsc04858crop_by_splicer-d87d8wt.jpg
  • Rwolf
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    The main thing that irks me is that the struts/coil-overs aren't angled properly on both, and looks like they're going straight through the rim and tire. On the Silvia looks like the strut mount point is too high.

Should also take note of the camber angle of the tires of the Silvia since you have a reference. Although could be ommited since it's stylized drawing.
  • splicer
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf wrote: »
    The main thing that irks me is that the struts/coil-overs aren't angled properly on both, and looks like they're going straight through the rim and tire. On the Silvia looks like the strut mount point is too high.

Should also take note of the camber angle of the tires of the Silvia since you have a reference. Although could be ommited since it's stylized drawing.

The mounting point for the coil overs is connected to the top of the fender well in the unibody construction. I agree with what you said, it looks like they are too far out towards the fender and not inwards enough towards the actual mount point. Thank you for your feedback.

The caster of the tire I made more upright, you want the tire angle, or caster as upright as possible when turning, making the most contact with the road. He has too much caster in the photo I posted. Camber and caster are similar, the difference is hard to explain with words, but makes sense when you see it. Caster is the angle when the hub is being moved by the tie rods, camber is the angle of the struts.
  • pior
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Hi again !

I think it's totally okay to stylize and exaggerate for the sake of a cartoon illustration ; but if we are talking about accuracy here, this is what I meant :

wheel_zps26cbd2cb.jpg~original

I hope this helps !