Home General Discussion

Far Cry 4

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
inflict3d polycounter lvl 7
First reviews from Eurogamer and Joystiq looks really promising. I'm waiting for release date.
What do you guys expect from FC4?
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYdjb10JcxU"]101 trailer | Far Cry 4 [PSN] [UK] - YouTube[/ame]

Replies

• Anchang-Style
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anchang-Style polycounter lvl 7
    What i have seen / heared so far is more of FC 3 with a new bad guy, more epic tech and coop. Mind you that's not a bad thing since i personally really enjoyed FC3 despite it beeing way too easy. But the story looks really good and what i can grasp from the GiantBomb let's play, the Animations for Interactions are top notch as are the effects and visuals in general. And more of the same in different setting...since FC3 was my first FC i can deal with that but i have to agree with the giantbombs...FC5 should mix it up a bit more.
    For me only Solo would be interesting since i don't know people to play online coop with so it's a rather wasted feature on me (and i hate playing with strangers).
    Still so far it looks good...Only a bit disheartening is, that no PC review copies reached any site or magazine yet eventhough the console version is out for review for a couple of days now.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    It's definitely a good sign that reviews are coming out before launch, instead of 12 hours after.
  • BeardyDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BeardyDan polycounter lvl 2
    Yeah I will pick this up, probably not immediately though, thanks to Dragon Age.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Got both this and Dragon age pre-ordered, its a good month for games, bad month for wallets :D
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    Don't care about the story, but I love me some Ubisoft: The Game.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee polycounter lvl 17
    Still waiting for PC reviews (apparently PC review copies are going out on Monday :/ )
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Awesomesauce presentation for some of the FC4 character assets:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHeBzEK5nxA"]Official ZBrush Summit Presentation: Ubisoft - YouTube[/ame]
  • inflict3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch
    thank you, I looked for this presentation record after ZSummit!
  • Blaizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Blaizer interpolator
    I loved Far Cry 3, and this one looks almost the same, with excellent graphics and excellent gameplay but i think it will be quite repetitive.

I can't spent more money in games, i have wasted a lot this year, but for the next year, i will buy it on sale for my pokedex of games :).

edit: I love the character art of this game, Tito did one of the greatest jobs i've seen on animals with his tiger. http://www.artstation.com/artist/lildragn When i watched the animal hair under ndivia gameworks i flipped out. A friend have bought it and it runs very very well.

The studio behind Farcry 4 is the only one that did their job like God dictates. Congrats for the team, the reviews are quite good.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    wooohoo finally comes out Tuesday ;) cant wait for people to get their hands on it. It was a fun project to work on and it feels good seeing all the great reviews popping up. Hope you fellas enjoy!
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    wooohoo finally comes out Tuesday ;) cant wait for people to get their hands on it. It was a fun project to work on and it feels good seeing all the great reviews popping up. Hope you fellas enjoy!
    Hey, congrats on shipping the game :) Can't wait to get my hands on it tomorrow! It looks really awesome:thumbup:
  • inflict3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Hope we can expect a great art dump thread in a few days :D
  • littleclaude
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    littleclaude quad damage
    Wow this looks great, is there any talk of the Dunia Engine 2 being released for us to monkey around with? :) I would love to get my hands on that engine.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    FC4 was one of those projects where ever time I poked my head in to their studio space I stopped and stared at someones monitor for a good long while. At the very least I can say the Toronto team's work is amazing. Judging by the reviews and trailers, as is Montreals.

FC4 was a stand-out hit for me last year, I am welcoming this game with open arms.
  • BeardyDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuck it, I'm gonna Day 1 it after watching some more footage, just wish us EU peeps didn't have to wait until Thursday :(.

EDIT : Scratch that, looks like the UK release is Tuesday. Apparently we don't count as "EU" lol.
  • juniez
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    juniez polycounter lvl 10
    Wow this looks great, is there any talk of the Dunia Engine 2 being released for us to monkey around with? :) I would love to get my hands on that engine.

it comes with a level editor but that's about it
  • Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    Pre-ordered because Elephants.

Something tells me I won't ever actually be able to finish the game, but damn do I love a little in-game safari huntin'

Now if only there was a fishing mini-game my life would be complete. All openish games must have a fishing mini-game, no matter the boringness!
  • Mongrelman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mongrelman polycounter lvl 18
    If they do an expansion like Blood Dragon I will explode with happiness.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    After you have the meal with the crazy guy at the beginning, wait 10 minutes or so for him to come back (don't try to escape). It's the quickest way to beat the game ;)
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Mongrelman wrote: »
    If they do an expansion like Blood Dragon I will explode with happiness.

True dat! Check out the IGN Co op vid as well, it's classic XD
  • Anchang-Style
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Whoever worked on this game: kudos to the guy who modelled and animated the tiger. INSANE job. i mean the game looks grandios but the tiger is brilliantly looking.
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    the game looks great! Can't wait to play it!

Anchang-Style : I've worked very hard on modelling and texturing the tiger so I'll take some part of the credit : ). It sure was a challenging asset to work on as cats have lots of flexibility and shape deformation depending on their pose, definitely something to keep in mind as there was no blend shape at the time.

I don't know how extensive the revision work is, but in the end, it is looking beautiful with the fur shader. Props to all that have worked on the art of the game!
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Holy shit balls! Just played through the first part. What a gorgeous game! Love the characters so far as well.

Congrats to all involved in it's creation.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Agreed Stinger, IGN gave it an 8.5 but I think it deserved a 9. Still a good score, although they said the characters were weak which was kinda weird. The art is amazing, can't wait to play more!
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    does it play well on pc? Ive got a new pc ( quad core i5 4.2GHZ with a GTX760) assassins creed black flag plays at barely 30fps at 1920x1080, watchdogs is even worse, other games run really well but ubisoft games performance is dire on my new pc. If far cry 4 is like that Im just going to wait till I can afford a console and play it there :(
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    I'm running an i5 2400k and gtx660 and the game runs very smoothly for me. Graphic are on "High". So your rig should have zero issues with it.
  • kaptainkernals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kaptainkernals polycounter lvl 12
    Farcry 4 PC doesn't run that well for me.

In the prologue mission I was getting between 30 and 20 on high, dropped the graphics settings to all low/off (textures on high), got 40-30 in the prologue mission.

In the open world I get between 50-30 on low/off with textures on high, and then in the village, i get 30-mid 20s on that setting, then there are the sudden FPS drops, and the loading pauses (I don't have an SSD - and the game locked up while it loaded.

Specs:
    16gb DDR1600 ram
    GTX 660ti

The game definitely isn't even using anywhere near 50% off of my resources, so it shouldn't run as it does. Farcry 3 ran 60+ on High to ultra settings, all other games I can max out.

So I'm hoping the next few updates sort this out.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Total Biscuit has just posted a "port report". Going into graphics setting in detail, etc.

[ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=M25Le3JdHH8[/ame]
  • sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sziada polycounter lvl 11
    Is Far Cry 4 worth the buy or is it Far Cry 3.5
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    sziada wrote: »
    Is Far Cry 4 worth the buy

Yes.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 wrote: »
    Total Biscuit has just posted a "port report". Going into graphics setting in detail, etc.

Is there a summary for those of us who don't want to watch a 20 minute video?
  • sziada
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sziada polycounter lvl 11
    ambershee wrote: »

he does good reviews but they take forever
  • Anchang-Style
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    If it's true iam kinda laughing inside.
    According to news, some PC gamer complain about a lack of FOV option...which Hutchinson himself answered that the problem is, that the game is pirated if the FOV is missing.
  • DanConroy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DanConroy polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah having PC issues, I think its another AMD issue.

Every search I've done it states to 'wait for future patches' ah lovely...
  • Rayph
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rayph polycounter lvl 13
    Can't wait to get my grubby little hands on this one, congrats to the team for shipping what looks to be another awesome entry into the series.
  • Anchang-Style
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ambershee wrote: »

Well the settings are pretty alright just they cover a lot of stuff in POSTFX where no one seems to know what it does. Again Ubi's deal with Nvidia seems to hit AMD hard despite the AMD presence in the consoles.
    The AA still is basically killing his 980GTX SLI. With TXAA2 it's at 100, TXAA4 kills it to around 40 (he says). Also towns are dipping it badly. Also very visible is a constant dip in framrate when driving around where the frames go to 50-60 and jump back to 100. He plays at 1440p and off a SSD and repoprts, that the usage of his Quadcore is very weirdly allocated.
    Iam a bit weirded out about why a game that is promoted by NVIDIA is not running with all NVIDIA feratures on anything but a SLI of their high end system...or so it seems. Because cutting the FPS by half and down a peck to get the 970 level makes it seem like you have to get rid of TXAA and basically all of the fancy Nvidia features, or the engine does not properly use SLI right now.

I feel like the TXAA implementation is not 100% or TXAA is just junk to begin with right now, considering every game it's used in the promised "TXAA combines the raw power of MSAA" but so far suffered a performance impact a lot heavier than 2xMSAA or even 4xMSAA. Maybe it's just the engine that is suffering a broken window effect by just beeing partly rebuild to fit the new enviroment. I don't know.

The numbers are here (german bench but understandable)
    http://www.pcgameshardware.de/Far-Cry-4-PC-256888/Specials/Technik-Test-Benchmark-1143026/

1440p basically cuts your performance in half again.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    when are we allowed to start calling the following bullshit?

"we've made a deal with nVidia, so anybody using AMD cards... sorry about your issues but maybe you should just not use AMD cards"?

i'm an nVidia card user (currently), but if a company blames any issues on either manufacturer when they've got a deal running with the competitor... that's not the fault of the manufacturer, that's the fault of the developer.

also, a funny side note:
    the whole "if you don't have FOV control, you're a pirate", is bullshit.
  • ambershee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the whole "if you don't have FOV control, you're a pirate", is bullshit.

If you don't have FOV control, you didn't download the two day patches. Not that the slider is that great, because it doesn't have any numbers associated with it?
  • Paradan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fucking GPS. fuck. :poly127:
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    I really enjoy the setting and characters, the missions are nice and the environments are too but the weapons are a big letdown imo, most of those I inlocked so far are directly recycled from farcry 3 (1:1 same model hi/low, modified but still blurry textures) but the gunplay is bothering me a lot, as there is no real feedback, which is below CS 1.6 standards.
    There is no hitsound (must) there is no hitmarker, and there are only small particle effects on hit that are barely noticeable, TTK time to kill is strange and coupled with the nonexistent feedback very hard to know if you even hit - and no other form of feedback to make up for those misses, plus the weapon controls are not well adjusted on PC, making shooting not fun for me and objectively less fun than in nearly every FPS out there (still the same as in FC3 however), and unlocking new weapons is no real motivation as a cause, which is intended to be atleast mine motivation to progress throughout the game, which is sad, as it is a FPS afterall.

The rest is really enjoyable so far

1440+ is more or less 35-40% more performance required from my observations, double is not true for any game i have played, which the benchmark also confirms, but this is very subjective as i have no good sample size
  • BeardyDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think the weapons look really nice, but I am a bit sad that the vast majority so far are recycled from FC3, even some of the signature weapons are from 3. You can also get the AJM 9 from Blood Dragon.

However I am hoping that some hidden ones will show up on the shop inventory as they did during the second half of FC3.

Same with the vehicles (was hoping for some different vehicle classes). The gyrocopter rules, but this game is screaming for an LAV, and other military type vehicles. I think that would've helped sell the world a bit more if the Royal Army was better equipped than the guerilla fighters. Of course theres a massive amount of the world I haven't seen yet so I could be wrong.

These are minor issues I guess, I think the game is really good. Art and animation are also fantastic. I definitely prefer the characters in this one too. I think FC3 relied too much on Mando's performance, and making the player character a massive bellend didn't help, however in this one I am far more interested in the main characters and the world they inhabit.
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    having tons of fun with this so far. great environment work and a refreshing setting :thumbup:
  • Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    Three wild elephants and I just had a little ballroom dance with cars and men in red shirts.

Let the good times roll :)
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    Glad you guys are diggin' it. I am actually playing through it myself, during production I was mostly focused on my area of the map and didnt see everything the game has to offer, so its kinda cool to step back and have the more big picture view! also....dont fuck around with rhinos....

also, a lil art dump over here ;)
  • BeardyDan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ah awesome, there are indeed a load of new weapons. Really liking it so far, I've spent most of the time exploring. Game is huge and looks gorgeous. The grappling hook makes hunting for collectibles and new locations fun, and being able to use an M79 whilst driving solves one of the more frustrating aspects of Far Cry 3, which was having to get out of your vehicle to fight.