Home General Discussion

Bitmap2Material for hand-painted textures

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Zack Maxwell interpolator
I got a copy of B2M with my Substance Indie Pack a while ago, but I've never really used it.u
The thing is, while I can see how massively useful it is for the photo-realistic approach, I mostly focus on stylized hand-painted texturing, and generally dislike photo-realism.
Since I already have it though, if it is great for certain things in this area it would be really useful to know.
My interest was recently piqued because of a limited-time upgrade sale they have going on for the new version.

Does anyone use it for non-realistic textures?

Replies

• Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    Its useful for all texture types, especially if you want more than a mere diffuse map. Its just using the values present and working from there, realistic or not they should have information B2M can work with. Saves a lot of time.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    In what ways do you typically use it?
  • Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    Grimwolf wrote: »
    In what ways do you typically use it?

Well, a good use is for tiled environment assets or substances you may wish to paint in painter. Take a tiled hand painted texture like rocks or wooden planks, plop it into B2M and immediately generate a pretty good set of maps, then use the sliders to adjust till you got something you like. Export. Done!

Its a time saver, and since B2M is basically a minimalistic form of Substance Designer, it can save you time. Its pretty basic stuff. Try playing around with the one you got from the indie pack and you will get an idea how useful it can be.

Drag and drop a hand painted texture into 2d window, select main input and go to town with the sliders on the right. It has different shaders you can pick from, so even if you dont aim for PBR you can get an idea on how it will look. I know B2M had a dota 2 shader, not sure about v3. With the PBR shader in v3 though, you get stuff that looks like Overwatch's hand painted textures.