Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Retro VTR

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Joltya polycounter lvl 10
Hello again, Polycount! I've been working on this thing for the past couple of days. It's an old video tape recorder. This one's really tough and the high poly is not done yet, but here's what I got!

TQbS5ru.jpg
SPwJLTH.jpg

Replies

• Joltya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 16
    hey not bad. looks pretty solid to me.
  • jhoythottle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jhoythottle polycounter lvl 7
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Do these sort of pieces help people practice creating ridiculous looking volumes for high poly modeling?
  • Oniram
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Oniram polycounter lvl 16
    Do these sort of pieces help people practice creating ridiculous looking volumes for high poly modeling?

not sure what you mean by this but regardless, that statement isnt really constructive toward this person's artwork. naturally they are still learning, so anything is helpful, no matter what it is. stop posting for the sake of posting. be constructive, critical, or helpful, or dont get involved in people's threads.. people dont need rhetoric.

@kai do you plan on seeing this through to texture? or was it meant just as a high poly hard surface piece?
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Apologies, Sean, I wasn't trying to be demeaning. This does, in fact, look awesome, let me make that clear.

I was wondering if any random artist set out to model something complex like this, would it engender additional skill in regards to modeling out complex forms for subdivision modeling? I.e. you end up having more control and extended ability to quickly model such volumes in the future?

Speaking of critiques, the black disc on the upper right may ever so slightly need a domed raise. The way the lighting hits it in the picture suggests it's ever so slightly domed.
  • inflict3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    inflict3d polycounter lvl 7
    I was wondering if any random artist set out to model something complex like this, would it engender additional skill in regards to modeling out complex forms for subdivision modeling? I.e. you end up having more control and extended ability to quickly model such volumes in the future?

Sure, it makes easier to visualise mentally the shape and form of object you need to create. It's like 'muscle memory' i think.
  • Joltya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys. I'm still not exactly sure what you mean. Hard surface modeling is hard surface modeling, so I don't see why it wouldn't.

Thanks Sean, I do plan on getting this fully finished.

I got some bakes done last night. There definitely needs to be some tweaks and things, but here's what I have so far. The tri count is about 2.5k right now (including the extra reel part that I forgot to add lol)

BRGgKz4.jpg
    WrsxhS4.jpg
  • CougarJo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CougarJo polycounter lvl 6
    Nice model! :D

Clean bake! I just saw a few points where I think it can be bake artifacts, hope you don't mind the litte ugly paintover!

2e3WrsxhS4.jpg
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    looks really good. I have a question though, when making hard surface stuff like this, do you usually create the lowpoly first and then sub-D model a highpoly from that? or is it still highpoly > lowpoly?
  • Joltya
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet wrote: »
    looks really good. I have a question though, when making hard surface stuff like this, do you usually create the lowpoly first and then sub-D model a highpoly from that? or is it still highpoly > lowpoly?

Eh kind of. I construct the high poly using mostly sub-d surfaces, and for the low poly I use the base mesh as a jumping off point and remove edges and optimize it for a game engine. There are some cases where I don't use sub-d for the high poly, and some cases where I have to rebuild the low poly entirely, but for the most part, that's the process.

I added some better material definition and some little details here and there for the textures. It's still needs some grunge and some more pop, but I feel like it's getting there.

FFsu7pN.jpg