Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

3D CAD Model/Drawing Showcase

polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
Drew++ polycounter lvl 14
Hello Polycount! If you're an engineer, CAD enthusiast, or maybe you are just learning 3D CAD modeling, share some of your works in progress shots or showcase your final models here!

I recently modeled this Knights Armament Company rail cover. I used simple calipers and got fairly accurate measurements.
KAC_RailCover.png

I spent yesterday modeling this Knights Armament 300M rear flip-up sight. Again using a caliper.
KAC_300M_RearSight.png

Looking forward to seeing who does CAD modeling here on Polycount!

Replies

• Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very nice! Looking forward for more.

Reminds me of the Zbrush summit video I saw from the guys doing weapons for The Division. They use cad data and run it through zbrush with dynamesh.
  • Drew++
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Working on a accurate model of the Knights Armament Company URX 3/3.1 rail. So far I've only done the upper part of the rail. Might put this into ZBrush, as Pedro mentioned above!

KAC_URX3_WIP_001.png

Now onto the lower part of the rail!
  • EarthQuake
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drew sent me the object for the rails and I processed it in zbrush using dynamesh. Looks awesome!

dbc70d7cfd.png
    426b028778.png
    5e102c74e8.png
    5eba17994e.png
    5f39321aa9.png
  • PrimePriest
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PrimePriest polycounter lvl 3
    Wow, I never though I'd have a chance to show my CAD models on game-related graphics forum. :)

As an engineering student I get to create CAD model quite often. Mostly really simple stuff though (a single part). Here are some of my more complex works.

This was assignment for a class. Task was to create an assembly that meets specific criteria to prove our skills with CAD modeller. I chose to model mechbox of an airsoft gun.
    1EStr84.png
    VBQBMJy.png
    t87a3HB.png
    42or6FN.png

And this is what I am currently working on. It's experimental device to measure the influence of aerodynamic forces on translating vibrations between turbine blades (not sure if I chose correct wording here....basically one blade vibrates and vibrations travel through the air onto another blade).

ji8E46b.png
    C1btq0m.png
    s6qucMa.png

I've been thinking about one specific workflow. Since a lot of hard surface stuff is much easier to model in CAD software rather than in standard 3d package. Would it be possible to model hi-poly in CAD and then import into 3d package for lowpoly and bake? As far as I understand the topology on hi-poly doesn't matter (import from CAD would sure mess it up) as long as it looks good and is without artifacts. Are there any major drawbacks? Obviously other than need to own another piece of quite expensive software.
  • Drew++
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I finished up the rail for the most part. It just needs the custom barrel nut and all that, but I'll worry about that later on.

KAC_URX3.png

Bottom part only
    KAC_URX3_WIP_002.png
  • Cheathem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheathem polycounter lvl 6
    PrimePriest
    You should try it out and see what you can do with it, you might be able to find some sort of work flow. You would have to of course soften every edge in your CAD model though or else it would look terrible baked. And I don't know any methods of automatically smoothing it in max. With CAD's topology, turbosmooth would wreck the model I'm sure. Maybe you could use the free alternative to Zbrush, Sculptris? Anyways, Awesome stuff!

Drew++
    Really cool man! I would love to see a full weapon body. Are you going to continue this model into a full weapon?

Perdro Amorim
    Very nice! Looking forward for more.

Reminds me of the Zbrush summit video I saw from the guys doing weapons for The Division. They use cad data and run it through zbrush with dynamesh.

Do you know how i could find the video you mentioned? Sounds like an interesting workflow!
  • Envart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Envart polycounter lvl 6
  • Grusti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grusti polycounter lvl 10
    You can import a CAD model in max and just retopo it. Simple
  • Cheathem
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheathem polycounter lvl 6
    I think manually retopo'ing the CAD model will destroy the efficiency of the workflow. You'd be creating a cad model, a model around that so you can have a turbosmoothed model, then a low poly to bake onto. You may as well skip the CAD part since you would be rebuilding your highpoly anyways.
  • Grusti
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grusti polycounter lvl 10
    Cheathem wrote: »
    I think manually retopo'ing the CAD model will destroy the efficiency of the workflow. You'd be creating a cad model, a model around that so you can have a turbosmoothed model, then a low poly to bake onto. You may as well skip the CAD part since you would be rebuilding your highpoly anyways.

it's actually have the same idea when you retopo cad model or creating mesh around ... just put couple support loops and you done with same model as your cad mesh