Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UDK] Spirited Away Entrance

InProgress
polycounter lvl 14
Offline / Send Message
InProgress polycounter lvl 14
Hey, folks.

I'm currently working on the entrance scene from Spirited Away in order to learn foliage. For the tree canopy, I've been following Damian Lazarski's 3dMotive foliage tutorial (you rock, dude!). I'm not really happy with what I have now, but I can't really put my finger on to why. I really want to do justice to this scene.

3Kpfb9r.jpg
And a different shot of the trees
2CVv5gW.jpg

Laundry list of things to do:

- More variations of trees
- More variations of bushes
- Plants to create more variety among the grass
- Finish up the main building.
- Create the dirt and grass textures
- Create rocks to populate the forest.
- Redo the moss texture.

Any critique is welcome.

Replies

• felipealves
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    felipealves polycounter lvl 10
    Nice choice for a scene! Looking forward for more :)
  • Auldbenkenobi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Auldbenkenobi polycounter lvl 11
    If I remember rightly (It's been a while since I watched SA) isn't the entrance nestled between two small, forested cliffs? That might be what's throwing you off, since you can see right through the forest in your scene right now.

Looking cool though, I love Spirited Away and I'm looking forward to seeing more of this :D
  • Cheeky_Pickle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheeky_Pickle polycounter lvl 9
    Hey looking cool! The trees are quite similar in density and rather circular in shape, perhaps some branches sticking out would make this better?
  • Sugus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    Good choice of scene! Be careful with the scale of your ground rock texture as it's currently massive. Balancing the scale of objects so that they sit well in relation to each other is something you need to do. Looking at the building it's either too big/small in relation to the trees etc.

I think that if you work around this particular issue you'll find that your scene starts sitting a lot better, as the quality of the assets themselves is really good :)

Hope this helps!