Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Hitman Absolution - Hippy Environment - Recreated in UE4

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
RashedAlmetrami polycounter lvl 10
For this project I will be recreating the hippy apartment based off a piece of environment concept art from "Hitman Absolution".
I have chosen one main piece of concept art to work off and also a secondary piece of concept art which I will be using to create an off-room for the environment.

Primary Concept Art
bsMfTwy.jpg

Additional Concept Art
lK3mEky.jpg

I have broken down the scene into rule of thirds; as well as indicating the focal points in the scene and how my eye traced the images.
ejARdjK.jpg
9RKSWh7.jpg

I have also indicated the perspective lines of the image, this will help when trying to get the scale of the blockout correct.
ip0Layo.jpg
H0Z37p4.jpg

I will be continuously updating this thread throughout the project to track my progress and issues that I will come across. I hope to get a range of feedback and critique throughout each stage of the pipeline in order to finish with a polished good looking result.

More scene research to come.

Replies

• RashedAlmetrami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have now broken down the scene and indicated modular assets in the scene, tileable textures and repeatable assets.
    53rY4D5.jpg
    FCUoUBW.jpg

I have averaged out the colour of certain parts of the concept art. On the right of the image below are the colour samples taken from the concept. The scene is made up of various shades of blue with a lot of orange/yellow lighting which is a nice contrast of hot/cold. I aim to recreate this within the environment.
    BIir1KS.jpg

Lastly, I have created an asset list for the environment.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1u8uA825DpJhQYTbhQ51TrstPwHQ57bPHkfPebi0tS54/edit?usp=sharing
  • RashedAlmetrami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rough calculations where made in order to get an estimate for the dimensions of the room and the assets within it.
    uP1CY7o.jpg

A quick blockout has also been created.

BL6gYIi.png
  • Cay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cay polycounter lvl 5
    very nice piece of concept art!
    One thing I noticed.. the character you placed seems to be smaller than the guy in the concept if you look at the shoulder line compared to the shelf/table-thingy
    ..but overall the proportions seem to be good
  • nathdevlin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nathdevlin polycounter lvl 12
    With that level of planning this is definitely off to a good start. One thing to watch out for are issues in the concept such as in the first image the red bricks closer to the floor are smaller in scale to the ones near the ceiling which relative to the character are too large IMO ( nope it's not a perspective thing )

Just don't stick to the concept too rigidly. Looking forward to seeing this develop.
  • ThatWalder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ThatWalder polycounter lvl 6
    I haven't seen Hitman Absolution game environments done in a long time. I'm really looking forward to seeing this grow.
    Well done on the break downs and the preparation work.
    I think you may have made the corridor on the left a little to big compared to the other scales of the object (or the camera is making it look a little weird).
    This will be a good test to see how good your lighting as well as your texturing work in UE4. :)
  • macoll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    macoll polycounter lvl 13
    nice keep up the good work ;)
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    I'm looking forward to this!

If you are still blocking out. One thing that I found incredibly handy is to use the third person template in UE4. Then, I'd walk around the scene and get a better feeling for the proportions.

The reason I mention that is the front couch may be a bit too large (maybe 6" or so). Make sure when you have the blue UE4 character that the knee roughly lines up with the couch cushion. That's usually the case for couches.
  • RashedAlmetrami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback guys! Not much work has been done on this recently due to a university deadline. I have reworked the proportions of the room slightly and have created the modular assets for the room as well as a template texture atlas.
    dIYFuSJ.jpg
    4AkNgjR.jpg
    QEO35wU.jpg

I will be working on the high-poly assets for the scene soon!
  • RashedAlmetrami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A semi-detailed mesh pass has been created in order to get a better feel for the scaling of the scene and if the assets look realistically scaled.

021bf12dd8.jpg
  • RashedAlmetrami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It has been a while since I last post and the environment has come a long way since. I will now be posting up updates on the environment more regularly.

From the blockout I moved onto modelling a quick mesh-pass for each asset in the scene as well as a quick material pass for the brick, wood and wallpaper texture.

Kp96Tbv.jpg

After the mesh-pass was complete, I begun modelling some of the hard-surface assets in the scene as-well as sculpting a few of the organic assets. (assets haven't been finalized.)
    ZSXKNGY.jpg
    nZ19XQp.jpg
    W6Mhh0R.jpg
    7VzOpzD.jpg

I then baked out AO and normal maps and created a quick texture pass for a few of the assets in the scene as well as playing around with the lighting.

nMQ1JGr.png
    M2yXz4u.jpg
    IRNl19U.png

Lastly, I have created a master material so that I have live updates and more control/flexibility over the textures as a whole.
  • RashedAlmetrami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    After modelling a lot of the hard-surface assets I now have an AO and Normal pass for most of the hard-surface assets in the scene. Below are some render sheets :)

Organic assets will be retopped and imported soon!

pQg4FiL.png

KnAdTLe.jpg

dm7xR6E.jpg

xIqbf2g.jpg

RKFv4SN.jpg

VkmtgY5.jpg

fOlUwdy.jpg

s3yzVn0.jpg

zusWleL.jpg

IhgQBSs.jpg

pFPv9kn.jpg

Hd0f4db.jpg

F0JVllG.jpg

TPQvpYi.jpg
  • wirrexx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wirrexx ngon master
    updates! :D subbed
  • RashedAlmetrami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update!

Environment Renders
    vhCkFeQ.jpg
    gUtidxO.jpg
    1dfm7ii.jpg
    Zit1bC4.jpg
    p50wOzD.jpg

6trvmL3.jpg
    zxUUwdy.jpg
    la3kFbe.jpg
    sjERhpQ.jpg
  • RashedAlmetrami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • RashedAlmetrami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Stavaas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stavaas polycounter lvl 3
    Great work! It's really interesting to see your workflow from concept, to planning and asset creation!
  • kunalht
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kunalht polycounter lvl 2
  • Poinball
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Poinball polycounter lvl 6
    Wow Great work !
  • locater16
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    locater16 polycounter lvl 8
    Ahhhh! Don't bake AO. "But-" Nooooo. No baking AO into textures. Not into a texture slot, not into the albedo, not at all.

Let the engine handle it. Let the lightbaking handle it or the realtime lighting or etc. It comes out much better and allows you to re-use all your assets multiple times without it looking wrong. Baking AO is not only uneeded, but detrimental.
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    locater16 wrote: »
    Ahhhh! Don't bake AO. "But-" Nooooo. No baking AO into textures. Not into a texture slot, not into the albedo, not at all.

Let the engine handle it. Let the lightbaking handle it or the realtime lighting or etc. It comes out much better and allows you to re-use all your assets multiple times without it looking wrong. Baking AO is not only uneeded, but detrimental.

You are completely wrong. AO on every asset is incredibly important. You shouldn't be putting AO in your albedo map, but your AO map should be plugged into the separate AO slot.

AO in a PBR shader is used as an indirect specular mask, that makes the asset get deep dark shadows in ambient lighting situations. In the direct light the AO wont do anything, which simulates close to real world light.
  • 3dReaper
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3dReaper polycounter lvl 4

Where, when, how have you ever heard never to have an AO texture map?
  • locater16
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3dReaper wrote: »
    Where, when, how have you ever heard never to have an AO texture map?

That's pretty much what "physically based shading" including UE4 is all about. In fact AO maps ruin the specular response, as you'll end up shadowing the albedo but not specular, making light look like it leaks through your model.

No modern engine, including UE4, Cryengine, Unity 5, or Frosbite need AO maps anymore, and it's in fact detrimental to do so. Any ambient occlusion included is usually done one way or another by the engine itself.
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    That's pretty much what "physically based shading" including UE4 is all about. In fact AO maps ruin the specular response, as you'll end up shadowing the albedo but not specular, making light look like it leaks through your model.

No modern engine, including UE4, Cryengine, Unity 5, or Frosbite need AO maps anymore, and it's in fact detrimental to do so. Any ambient occlusion included is usually done one way or another by the engine itself.

You are so wrong, please stop trying to tell people wrong information.
  • locater16
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER wrote: »
    You are so wrong, please stop trying to tell people wrong information.

Here's a decent primer on creating art for anything that renders with physically based shading: http://www.marmoset.co/toolbag/learn/pbr-practice

"An albedo map defines the color of diffused light. One of the biggest differences between an albedo map in a PBR system and a traditional diffuse map is the lack of directional light or ambient occlusion."

So, never include it in albedo, and often it's not needed in a separate slot at all. It is, unfortunately, still used for things like getting trees to look darker towards the center. But if used at all is often game and then object specific, such as the tree example in a few games.

Other than that, if ambient occlusion is used it is often captured during the level build for static objects such as the above, such as with UE4, which actually just uses its lightmaps, which capture information unavailable in separate model baking. In Cryengine for instance it's not used at all, not in offline traditional baking anyway.
  • Zatchie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zatchie polycounter lvl 3
    That are some high quality models right there. Good job man!
  • Zatchie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zatchie polycounter lvl 3
    That are some high quality models right there. Great job man!
  • Popol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popol interpolator
    Ambient occlusion(AO) represents large scale occluded light and is generally baked from a 3d model. Adding AO as a separate map as opposed to baking it into the albedo and specular maps allows the shader to use it in a more intelligent way. For instance, the AO function only occludes ambient diffuse light (the diffuse component of the image based lighting system in Toolbag 2), not direct diffuse light from dynamic lights or specular reflections of any kind.

That quote is from the link you just shared.

Now stop spreading misinformation. A beginner could read one of your posts and get the wrong idea.