Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Crit my student portfolio please :D

Hey all, this is my first portfolio. I am a current college student studying game design and for the next semester and a half we will be working on portfolios
(layout, stuff to put in it, etc. )

http://www.tonyd3d.com/

Replies

• BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Why isn't everything that's in Game Art and Gallery on the first page, too? That game should be up the top of the first page, like "Look, I know how to incorporate my assets into a pipeline!". I almost clicked off without noticing you had more to show, so get all the art onto page 1.

Cut down some of the art from Gallery, as well, there's some poor pieces. The generically textured buildings floating in space are the main culprits.

Your material definition is pretty poor, as well. Everything looks kinda too spec-y. I'd say revise PBR methods if you're using them, if you're not:
    http://www.marmoset.co/toolbag/learn/pbr-theory
    http://www.marmoset.co/toolbag/learn/pbr-practice
    www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=136390

Layout is fine as long as you bring everything to the first page. You might want a diorama or something, your list of generic props is a tad underwhelming.

EDIT: Oh, if your break down image is just one larger version of your beauty shot with a wireframe/UV shot... just have that as the image on your main page. Too many clicks for such little pay off. You only need that seperate page if an item has like 3+ other beauty renders, or a turn around/fly through video or extensive breakdown shots. If it's just that one image there's no point for the separate page.

Good luck.
  • tonyd927
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I guess the gallery was for pieces I felt that weren't strong enough to be on the main page.
    Alot of it is really old stuff from late 2013 as well. Im not a very good 3D artist and Im only a student lol :(
    Thanks!
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Hey, I'm a student too, in the exact same position in regards to winding up for portfolio polishing. :) No need to use it as an excuse.

Good practice for portfolios is to always cut the weakest pieces outright, because you'll be judged by your weakest piece. Never have stuff you're not proud of or that's outdated on there.
  • Asherleee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherleee triangle
    My advice would to be only show what you're really proud of - quality, not quantity. You can get hired from one strong piece.

Recruiters don't have time to look through every single image in your portfolio if there's masses of it - streamline what you pop up there. Put all your pieces on the first page - don't make your employer search for your work. It may be 1 click away, but its an inconvenience in their busy day.

Present your assets, you've spent time on them, spend that extra 20 minutes getting it presented nice and not just floating in space.

Don't use 'I'm a student' as an excuse - we students are on the brink of the new tech! We have the opportunity to learn what those in industry have no time for.

Hope that helped, good luck!
  • tonyd927
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wasn't really using the "I'm a student" as an excuse. I guess I shouldve said Im a student full time, work 2 part time jobs and dont have as much time as others are capable of committing to art, oh and I just started doing 3D a little over a year ago.. lol
    I'm probably the least artistic person I know so this is something new for me and I feel I wont be "employable" for at least another year

I'll tone down on the quantity and start bringing up the quality of certain pieces. I feel like the shotgun and camera are my better pieces

The problem with school is they arent teaching us what makes our stuff "look good on polycount"
    they just go by some BS curriculum that doesnt even make any sense at all. Most of my stuff I learned on my own from tutorials.
    Had I started when I was younger and had more time I probably could be a great artist by now.

But in all serious what makes a "bad" piece from a "good" piece?
    I think a "good" piece is one where the artist went as far as they know they could go with a piece, and a bad piece is one that just doesnt look finished
  • Kdawg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kdawg polycounter lvl 7
    ^ My school is like this too. You gotta take the punches and develop on your own. Try to not think in terms of what is working against you, think about how you can overcome it.
    You are obviously working hard, and are interested in what you are doing. Just tune up your outlook, and don't put yourself down! A big thing I see talked about on these forums is attitude, with the right one you can do anything!

As for your portfolio, work on the materials some more. As a student myself, I think your stuff is nice! I like your handgun and camera best. You have a lot of weapons, maybe start adding something else for variety?

But keep up the good work! And remember, all these guys here are trying to help you!
  • Swarm22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swarm22 polycounter lvl 15
    Kdawg wrote: »
    ^ My school is like this too. You gotta take the punches and develop on your own. Try to not think in terms of what is working against you, think about how you can overcome it.
    You are obviously working hard, and are interested in what you are doing. Just tune up your outlook, and don't put yourself down! A big thing I see talked about on these forums is attitude, with the right one you can do anything!

I graduated from college in 3D animation 5 years ago and this couldn't be more true of my experience with it as well. It was a good 3 years of practice where I didn't have to worry about rent or anything but everything I learned I learned on my own in my free time away from school. 5 years later, the only people in my class who found jobs in the industry were the ones who took the initiative outside of school and didn't call it a day when the bell rang.
  • tonyd927
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swarm22 wrote: »
    I graduated from college in 3D animation 5 years ago and this couldn't be more true of my experience with it as well. It was a good 3 years of practice where I didn't have to worry about rent or anything but everything I learned I learned on my own in my free time away from school. 5 years later, the only people in my class who found jobs in the industry were the ones who took the initiative outside of school and didn't call it a day when the bell rang.

My free time consists of maybe an hour or two on weekdays and every other weekend lol
    Seeing how little time it's hard to plan what exactly I should be learning...

I completed millenia's shotgun tutorial a few months ago and from there I havent had time to dedicate to a big lesson.

is there like a set order on how to learn things or something? I feel like Im stuck where I am

I look on polycount and it seems like people are getting things done and looking amazing on the first or second try.
    On average I usually try things like 4 or 5 times and then give up because it STILL doesnt look half as good as these guys.
  • Kdawg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kdawg polycounter lvl 7
    I think it depends on what your goals are I. I think you've got the modeling skills down, maybe focus on textures, that's really what will bring your stuff to life. It's not an easy road, but try working on projects you find fun.

I also get stuck sometimes. It's easy to look at other peoples work and get frustrated at your own hurdles. I don't think there's a proper way to get through that, just stick to it. Push yourself, because once you get past those hurdles, and you create something you are proud of, it's so worth it!
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    So judging by the first page of your site, your models look good, but your textures and materials need a lot of work as said above.

You definitely need to go back to the camera and fire extinguisher and re-do the textures. If you have the Quixel Suite you can use 3DO to preview in real time or if you are using Substance Designer you can preview real time in that as well. I think either or will help nail the materials.

Looking at more of your work, I really just think you need to fix your materials on your pieces. Right now, they are meh. Fix up the textures, and I think they will look much better.

So this post is a bit disjointed. But for example the fire extinguishers paint looks like it belongs on like a really heavy, rough metal with all of the indentations. I'd reccomend building a ref-sheet for a fire extinguisher. Go on google, search around for different extinguishers with good material definition in the photos. Then, place all the photos on one photoshop document and save out. When you're working on the textures, constantly compare to the image sheet and see what's wrong.
  • tonyd927
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni wrote: »
    So judging by the first page of your site, your models look good, but your textures and materials need a lot of work as said above.

You definitely need to go back to the camera and fire extinguisher and re-do the textures. If you have the Quixel Suite you can use 3DO to preview in real time or if you are using Substance Designer you can preview real time in that as well. I think either or will help nail the materials.

Looking at more of your work, I really just think you need to fix your materials on your pieces. Right now, they are meh. Fix up the textures, and I think they will look much better.

So this post is a bit disjointed. But for example the fire extinguishers paint looks like it belongs on like a really heavy, rough metal with all of the indentations. I'd reccomend building a ref-sheet for a fire extinguisher. Go on google, search around for different extinguishers with good material definition in the photos. Then, place all the photos on one photoshop document and save out. When you're working on the textures, constantly compare to the image sheet and see what's wrong.

I followed millenia's shotgun tutorial to make textures. Is there a better tutorial to follow or..?
  • skyline5gtr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skyline5gtr polycounter lvl 9
    Do not use the knife since you just copied a tutorial, its immediately recognizable as ben boltens

http://cgi.tutsplus.com/tutorials/next-gen-weapon-creation-part-1-the-high-poly-model--cg-782
  • AdvisableRobin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AdvisableRobin polycounter lvl 10
    The portfolio layout is nice, I'd consider consolidating the the tabs portfolio, personal and professional. Pick the best pieces you have out of those and show them. Your portfolio is only as good as the worst piece.

You need to start to focus on a specific aspect of modeling. If you want to do environments, then post up some environment work you've done, if you don't like any of it then make something you think is worthy. Definately look into PBR for an asset or environment.

Last thing, kinda small but under the resume/CV tab, I'd remove the 'Objective' header.
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Do not use the knife since you just copied a tutorial, its immediately recognizable as ben boltens

http://cgi.tutsplus.com/tutorials/next-gen-weapon-creation-part-1-the-high-poly-model--cg-782

Same applies for that hand painted sword thing :)
  • tonyd927
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

Ok. Removed it.
    Any other input?