Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Art Contest Riot Art Contest - Animation

LoL Models

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
monster polycounter
I know we all want to animate the real LoL character. This worked for me so I thought I'd share a few steps on how to get an OBJ out the the game. The only bummer is that you don't get a skinned mesh.

What you need:

League of Legends Installed

Skin Installer Ultimate 4.34
https://sites.google.com/site/siuupdates/

SKN to OBJ
http://chaosrealm.info/topic/7484204/1/

What to do:

1. Install LoL
2. Unzip and run Skin Installer Ultimate.exe
3. Wait a while for it to analyze your LoL install. (Took about 2 minutes on my machine.)
4. In the Skin Creatation tab check mark the character you want. (If you don't see anything ask your self "Did I wait the 2 minutes?")
5. Right click and extract selected files.
6. Unzip SknToObj.exe.
7. Drag and Drop a SKN file onto the SkinToObj.exe

This worked for me.

Replies

• Sel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sel
    I would advise against doing this.

This is from the contest Q&A page:
    Kedwardian wrote: »
    So, I understand that animation rigs won't be provided, which is understandable (and sorry for bringing it up again). However, I did some googling and found some people were able to easily import the models, skeletons AND textures into Maya using the files installed with the game on their computers.

There are obviously some possible issues with this but I was wondering if it is allowed at all for the competition?

Use your best judgment. It is very easy for us to recognize our own assets. If you download models ripped from the game and try to use them as an entry it will be disqualified. The point is to do your version of our characters, that is up to or exceeding the quality in League of Legends currently. This is an opportunity to showcase your artistic skill, not your ability to rip models and textures and slightly alter them.
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    Sel,

I think that the person that answered is referring to submitting character models. (Even though the question was about the animation category.)

This is repeated a few times in the FAQ:
    Sure. The model is not a factor in judging the animation at all.
  • Evanescfan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's a fine line. I'd say you're both right.

I guess they don't want the models to restrict our animation choices to anything "traditional". Almost like we're animating a whole new character.

Then again why bother with the "pick an existing champion" rule.