Home Contests & Challenges Archives Riot Art Contest Riot Art Contest - Animation

[Riot Art Contest] - Petro Hawczak

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
PeteHawk polycounter lvl 12
Big competition! Should be a blast and good luck to you all.
Had a quick scope of the champions and may use Dr. Mundo for inspiration.

Blockout
dr__mundo_run_wip01_by_petro_hawczak-d834w2q.gif
20min

Replies

• PeteHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Maybe a different movement?

Concept
    dr__mundo_run_by_petro_hawczak-d839atz.gif
    80min
  • PeteHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Attack idea:

Concept:
    drmundo_attack_by_petro_hawczak-d83a3nk.gif
    20min
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
    PeteHawk wrote: »
    Maybe a different movement?

Concept
    dr__mundo_run_by_petro_hawczak-d839atz.gif
    80min

Some feedback on this. I like the idea, it reads as someone who is large and in charge. But as it is right now, it feels very floaty. It lacks weight, that extra ompf.
  • AnthonyAnimation
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AnthonyAnimation greentooth
    Hey Petro, some good ideas here. For the attack, I would start with a more dynamic pose and for the antic have a wave of energy that starts from his hips and moves to his arms. Then once his arms are in the air (nice strong M shape) hold it for just a little bit then BAM into the ground.

It looks like you have the timing in the right spots, just try to really show energy and strength by using the whole body. I'm not familiar with the rig, but if it stretches use that to your advantage and get some nice clear silhouettes. Keep it up!
  • PeteHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers for the feedback, I did as you guys suggested but I felt there wasn't enough creativity. So went looking for a better rig. I was feeling some sort of quad, here's what I've done this morning:

Trot:
    giraffe_trot_by_petro_hawczak-d84nv77.gif
    60min

Was thinking of adding a rider to go with!
    I'm also struggling to show weight, any suggestions?
  • jarvin88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jarvin88 polycounter lvl 3
    Hey Pete, regarding the giraffe, maybe a little background on the type of LOL character your going for would help to give some feedback? I personally thought you had some interesting ideas too on your original take. But yeah let us know what your goin for on this giraffe concept.
  • PeteHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah okay I'll give a back-story a shot:
    Let see....

"Wanda loo-loo, a young rare Giraffe rider has lived, eaten and slept by giraffes since she was little.

She has the uncanny ability to understand their hearts, and in some way communicate with them. Eating like one of them and riding them across the desert planes, it is believed that the giraffes think her as one of their own.

For she has never seen Man, only the evil and corruption they leave behind on the boarders of the Sea of Sand. It is dangerous to venture on the Skirts they say. The Giraffe warned her to not approach it. For Man does not go into the desert either, only those who wonder lost.

Wanda has a great respect for the Giraffe family, especially since they rescued her from a desert water well. She was only a baby when she was abandoned by her own kind, and it was the four legged who took care for her.
    She will live, fight and die among them, for that is the dept she considers holding, but more so because she loves them as if they were family.

Kudo is a young steed that is of the same age as she. Young, energetic and full of youth, he treats her like a younger sister, and she, her trusty knight and beloved friend."
  • PeteHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's an issue im having though, cannot parent or constraint the IK foot onto the saddle...I think it's something to do with the fact that the saddle is skinned to bones? I made it simply by copying some faces and extruding them out:

aEvgHk2.png

When I constraint it or parent, it just doesn't follow the movement.
  • PeteHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GIRAFFE!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJ80VZblogM"]Baby Giraffe Runs and Plays at the San Diego Zoo - YouTube[/ame]
  • Evanescfan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I guess it's best u add a dummy/extra bone in the saddles place for parenting
    cute vid :)
  • icontak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeteHawk wrote: »
    Here's an issue im having though, cannot parent or constraint the IK foot onto the saddle...I think it's something to do with the fact that the saddle is skinned to bones? I made it simply by copying some faces and extruding them out:

aEvgHk2.png

When I constraint it or parent, it just doesn't follow the movement.

You can parent (not parent constraint, so you can adjust it later) a locator to the bone you skinned the saddle to, then parent constraint the IK foot to the new locator.

Good luck!
  • PeteHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So I got her feet stapled into the saddle:

WIP:
    wanda_and_kudo_trot_by_petro_hawczak-d86vgz6.gif
  • PeteHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here's a 3/4 camera angle, is a bit of a fiddly set-up, but it gives me an idea:

WIP:
    wanda_and_kudo_lol_trot_by_petro_hawczak-d86xt31.gif
  • Evanescfan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice..
    I feel it needs to be a bit faster
  • PeteHawk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Evanescfan wrote: »
    Nice..
    I feel it needs to be a bit faster

The giraffe locomotion as a whole? or just the cycle?
  • Evanescfan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cycle, but then when that happens, you'll naturally need to speed up the locomotion as well.
  • xiang Liu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    interesting piece