Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Seth PC-Mentorship - Jeff Hansen

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
ponjarphy polycounter lvl 5
Hey guys.

A few of you may have seen the thread made by Seth Nash about giving back to the community, by mentoring a few newer artist.
I was one of the guys and We just started this week by looking at our concept and doing material breakdowns.

So this is my thread for updates and recieving feedback :).
Hopefully I will produce something cool to show you guys!

So to start off, concept and mat. breakdown.

my concept is made by björn hurri :) he is great!

qktn826.jpg

xmr9lPR.jpg

Jeff

Replies

• Fisty
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fisty polycounter lvl 8
    I like the concept and break down :D
  • ponjarphy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright gathered the first batch of basic reference material for show here :)
    YkfaSzZ.jpg
  • ponjarphy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Little update inc.
    so I have started to block in the shapes, they are turning out to be quite the challenge, but I am trying as much as I can to stay true to the concept, but at points I may have to play a bit with it.
    Also the coat is still not in this yet.
    not too far off from starting the highpoly though :)!
    That said, he does feel like it all needs to be more bulky and heavier, that is something I have to adress first.
    h7mM48F.jpg
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The clothes don't seem to have the same bulk as the concept, and you're missing the cloak.
  • Ged
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ged interpolator
    good concept choice! it looks like your character has a long torso in comparison to the concept as the bottom part of the armour looks too high on his chest. The shoulder pieces dont quite look wide or bulky enough yet in my opinion. could just be your base character is too generic and not bulky enough?
  • ponjarphy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alright, thanks for the critiques guys.
    I have tried bulking him up a bit, and made the metal pieces wider/moved them further out.
    his also looked like it was unable to move in the old setup, glad that seth spotted that one.
    Let me know what you think now. I still have not added the cloak though.
    byafd4P.jpg
  • Chris Kuhner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chris Kuhner polycounter lvl 6
    Looking good man!

I did a quick paint over during lunch to try and show what kind of changes I think you need to make. I think if you can adjust some of the proportions as shown and really emphasize the 'fullness' of the design, I think you'll find yourself in a much better place.

Hope this helps, please forgive the crap quality of my paint-over skills, haha. Keep going! :)

6spm9IW.gif

Static Comparison:

8iXCOSG.png