Home General Discussion

The Flame in the Flood

polycounter lvl 16
Offline / Send Message
Snight polycounter lvl 16
Hi Polycount!

Some of my good friends and ex-Irrational Games co-workers have formed a new studio and are seeking funding for their new game - The Flame in the Flood. I have to say I'm super excited for this, the art style is incredible and it looks like a ton of fun. Check it out and support them if you can!

Link to their Kickstarter: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/molassesflood/the-flame-in-the-flood

b40b7a9bde791560cb30bed49ba4ad71_large.png?1412354402

568e0b5def1a6aabc055761d33f14fc8_large.png?1412356800

8a995179be77239ba17dbf2f71b9f9c4_large.png?1412353968

c59d398a9045d107a0631d8b221339b5_large.png?1412363667

a8e31d06351563b5cde1534a84246799_large.png?1412355661

Replies

• diregoldfish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    diregoldfish polycounter lvl 5
    Wow that game looks really pretty! It's a shame the animation is so terrible... ;)

Thanks for posting this Snight.
  • Chimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chimp interpolator
    Dunno what you're talking about, i think its perfectly fine - Particularly like the little touches like coming off the boat :)

Nice work
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    That looks far too lovely not to back.

The animation looks like it could use another pass, but this is a Kickstarter video we're looking at. They've got plenty of time to touch it all up.
  • diregoldfish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks you two :)

Jackablade - if you have any specific animation feedback I'd genuinely LOVE to hear it. I'm a tech artist/rigger and I know my animations aren't top notch. Plus we're only 6 people so I have no way of getting animation critique from other artists. This is almost entirely in-game footage of the characters (it's not a throw-away BS trailer) so please let me know what to polish up. It would be a huge help!
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    Diregoldfish - try finding the 'apex' points in each sequence in terms of speed, so you'll get a more natural, mixed pacing to your movements. It will also help emphasize the important gestures / expressive moments, usually by adding a slight pause / slowing things down there, and then speeding back up.
  • Sunn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sunn polycounter lvl 4
    I think this looks great! The only complaint I "may" have is the soundtrack just isn't doing it for me. I don't feel like it fits, and it comes across a little cheesey. But I don't want to shit on anyones hard work here, this looks super interesting and I love it!
  • blankslatejoe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    blankslatejoe polycounter lvl 18
    Goodluck to you guys, the game looks great so far! :-)
  • unit187
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    unit187 polycounter lvl 9
    I got to agree, animation needs some more love. It's hard to state certain reason why it doesn't work, though. I would suggest reading / watching the DVD of "animator's survival kit". It will definitely improve your understanding of the craft.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not an animator so I probably can't give you an kind of critique that'll be particularly useful. I think the animation is perfectly serviceable as it is, just a little on the stiff side. Shotgun's suggestions would probably help alleviate this.

I could show it to one of our animators and see if she's got any pointers if you'd like.
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Looks awesome, really beatuful. Checked out the kickstarter too, loved the music :) really hope this gets backed.
  • Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    Looking lovely so far!

The whole boat/river path setup should provide an interesting dynamic to set itself apart from the current flood of survival games. (pun intended :D)
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox godlike master sticky
    loving it, such a nice fresh style
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I saw this earlier and love love love it! Feels almost like Psychonauts.

I think the animation works in much the same way that Family Guy's pose to pose animation works for it. You don't always need super expressive bouncy animation.
  • diregoldfish
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'll start harassing local animators I guess. there's no excuse for not getting critique tbh, that's on me.

In general comments about the music have been very polarized. I'm not surprised there's already one person that dislikes it and one that loves it in this thread. However, I think Chuck's music perfectly hits the vibe we're going for. I was thrilled we managed to get him!
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Congrats on passing your goal, guys.

I'll throw my support behind the music too.
  • starogre
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    starogre null
    Congrats on the fast goal! This art style is super sexy. I too think the animation could use another pass but it's not hopeless or anything. Takes a lot of time to do once all the rest of the art is in as well. I'd say maybe make the animation more snappy or stylized/exaggerated to fit the angular forms of the characters. But man, those colors and lighting schemes. Love that third screenshot/scene's style. I think it doesn't need more bounce, but more weight to the movements.
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    Damn, that looks good. I'm no fan of country so the music wasn't doing it for me on a personal level, but it seems like it's a perfect fit for the game.

I didn't notice anything weird about the animations watching the video, looked solid to me. Not exactly Assassin's Creed, but not meant to be, either.

Grats on hitting the goal.
  • Clark Coots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 12
    looking amazing, congrats on the Kickstarter funding. I'm really impressed the game is looking so great assuming this was all started after Irrationals doors closed roughly 8 months ago.
  • PogoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
    The animation is a bit rough but it has a kinda James and the Giant Peach feel to it which is quite cool!
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    looks great, really curious about the how the boat works with the currents etc, for some reason it really reminds me of isometric vehicle sections from the 16bit era, like the jet bike riding section in eathworm jim or something...not sure why
  • haiddasalami
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Loved the music with the artstyle of the game. Not a bit country person but think it fits.
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    I really like the animation actually. Its a stylized game, with stylized animation that definitely fits the chunky, rawness of the overall art. The music fits the bill perfectly, though also not a fan of country, I think it does the game the justice it deserves. This will be a day 1 for me.