Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Aetos Dios

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
avenali312 polycounter lvl 8
My friend and I originally started The Aetos Dios (Eagle of Zeus) for the Chivalry contest with him working on the concept and myself taking care of the production. My wife and I went on our honeymoon in Italy for a couple of weeks at the end of September, so I didn't get a chance to finish up the project before leaving. So, now it turns into a personal project that I want to finish up for my portfolio.

The concept was inspired by the Greek kopis:
greek-kopis-sword.jpg

And here's what he came up with for a concept:
chivalry_concept_01.jpg

And here's where I was at before leaving for the honeymoon:
messer_high_01.jpg

We realized the proportions weren't quite lining up with the contest guidelines, so the blade and handle had to be adjusted to accommodate:
messer_size_comparison_01.jpg

Since it's no longer for the contest, I'm going to use this as a learning experience for PBR and using a mentalness workflow. Next steps will be assigning some basic values for my materials and start sculpting the handle.

All feedback is welcome!

Replies

• avenali312
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a quick test playing around with how PBR and metalness work:
    messer_material_test_01.jpg

And a small sample of the maps:
    messer_maps_01.jpg
  • avenali312
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Revisiting this one again... Went back and added more details to the blade in the high poly and rebaked the base normal.

High vs. Low
    messer_high_low_01.jpg

Resulting Normal Map
    messer_normals_01.jpg
  • Nosslak
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nosslak polycounter lvl 12
    If you were to mirror the texture you could probably halve the texture resolution without any discernible quality loss as both sides won't be seen at the same time anyway.

Don't know if this is the final unwrap or not, but if you're planning on making a proper handle you should include that on the same unwrap.
  • avenali312
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nosslak wrote: »
    If you were to mirror the texture you could probably halve the texture resolution without any discernible quality loss as both sides won't be seen at the same time anyway.

Don't know if this is the final unwrap or not, but if you're planning on making a proper handle you should include that on the same unwrap.

Thanks for the reply. That's very true about the unwrap, I could easily overlap the sides to save some space. The handle is unwrapped as well and included on this sheet, it's just hidden at the moment. It will be receiving some sculpting love separately.
  • avenali312
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jumping back on this project for a bit. Seemed like a good opportunity to try out Substance Painter. Any feedback is appreciated.

messer_sp_01.jpg
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    Are you not going to sculpt the eagle head? I'd make the texture a bit subtler. And maybe add some gold colored elements to break things up, like this:

Magrette-Taniwha-watch-1.jpg

I think it would be a bit boring to have the entire sword be 1 material.
  • avenali312
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost wrote: »
    Are you not going to sculpt the eagle head? I'd make the texture a bit subtler. And maybe add some gold colored elements to break things up, like this:

I think it would be a bit boring to have the entire sword be 1 material.

Thanks for the feedback. That's great advice. I could try some gold on the feathers or something.

The eagle head handle is indeed in progress.
  • avenali312
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Decided to attempt the handle with some subdivision modeling instead of sculpting. Pretty pleased with how it turned out and the bake.

Also, since I'm not doing this for the chivalry contest anymore, I decided to return back to the original concept art for proportions.

messer_handle_01.jpg

messer_handle_02.jpg

messer_low_01.jpg
  • avenali312
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    A little more progress with base materials and some damage.

messer_sp_02.jpg

messer_sp_03.jpg

messer_sp_04.jpg
  • avenali312
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Some more work on building up the materials. Feedback is always appreciated!

messer_sp_05.jpg

messer_sp_06.jpg

messer_sp_07.jpg