Home Technical Talk

3ds max long load times

Im using student version of 3DS Max 2015.
Occasionally, it will take the program between 5-8 minutes just to start up (yes. I have timed it)

I dont understand why.
Im using 64 bit windows, intel i5 3.2ghz, 16gb ram, gtx660ti and 2 TB HDD.
Im well above the recommended requirements so why is this taking so long to start up?

Replies

• Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Have you launched it more than once? It takes a while the first time because it sets up a few things the first time it launches.

It should relaunch faster than it launches. So the first time you launch after a system reboot will be slow, but every time after that will be a bit faster. If it's slow to relaunch its probably something interfering with it, like an overactive virus scanner. Those tend to freak out when max runs for the first time because it starts shuffling oddly named files around and building project folders.

It could also be the 2 TB HDD, I doubt that is a SSD drive so it's going to be slower to launch, but shouldn't be 5-8min to launch...
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    i'm on a much older version than you but - have you restricted it from net access? when starting up it seems to try to phone home and if that fails, it'll sit there for a bit. never 5 - 8 minutes here though.
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    I had an issue with 5 minute load times with Max 2011-2014. But mine was because my SSD hard drive was not set to AHCI mode in the bios (took several years to figure it out). The solution in this post fixed it, and all those versions of Max magically boot quickly now.

You didn't mention an SSD so this may not be the issue. Does it freeze the entire system, or just Max? The symptom for this is that it freezes the whole system for about 5 minutes.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id-2276734/autodesk-applications-randomly-freeze-ssd.html