Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Space Alien - WIP

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
apollo580 polycounter lvl 9
Hey guys, so I've been doing 3D modeling in my spare time for a while now and I'm really trying to commit to improvement. I've attached a model I'm currently working on and was hoping for some critique and advice. My issue right now is that I'm trying to create cool concepts but I seem to get stuck a lot of the time. For example armour... I have a vague idea of something cool in my head but have a lot of issues putting it down and finding relative reference.

How do you guys go about finding inspiration and references for your concepts? Can you share any ways that you have to add in that detail. Also I noticed a lot of artists here use other 3D models and concepts as reference, is that a good idea? I dont want to get into the habit of basing my models off of other peoples work.

[SKETCHFAB]e6224107591c4f868650d1820cd0a1dd[/SKETCHFAB]

Replies

• zearou
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm no professional, so take what I say with a grain of slat.

first about
    I dont want to get into the habit of basing my models off of other peoples work
    define "basing". If you mean "basing" by "inspiration and reference" then everyone are basing their works from something, weather it be real-life stuff or other people works.

Have you ever heard the quote: "good artists copy but great artists steal"?

I use 2D images mainly from games I like or just randomly found online in Deviantart or Artstation to get inspiration, motivation and ideas.

I do use 3D images of characters as references but for specific things and after I have what I want to do in mind.

for example: If I'm having trouble with doing a specific cloth then I just roam around in ArtStation til I find some professional character artist that did something similar and look how they did it.

You can learn a lot with "backwards engineering" other people works, even if they don't post the process but just show you their finished product.