Home General Discussion

Drive and Goals

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Torch interpolator
Wait, come back - this isn't another 'lack of motivation' thread! More so the reasoning behind people's motivation to their art. I started talking with a few people on polycount noob challenge Skype group about this and got some interesting points about why they do game art and what makes them keep wanting to continue with this profession. If anything the thread might help a few others that may be lost or confused.

It's easy to have short term goals like 'get better at anatomy' or 'improve knowledge of app x or y', but I'm meaning more long term achievements, working for a studio you always wanted to, work appearing in a mag like 3D creative, etc. For me one of the things that keeps me going is the excitement that games give people and being able to contribute to that is awesome... the cocaine and hookers are just a bonus. That and being able to work from home, just in pants.

So what makes 'you' more driven and what do you hope to achieve during your time in this industry?

EDIT: Skype group is for the monthly noob environment challenge, 'AlexCatMasterSupreme' moderates it I believe :)

Replies

• Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    I want to be able to create mind-blowingly awesome art that inspires people.
    Just getting included in the Polycount recap would be awesome though.

On a side-note, where is this skype group and who's dick do I have to suck to get an invite?
  • Leinad
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Leinad polycounter lvl 11
    Many years ago towards the end of High School I promised myself I will follow my passion and do what I love (at the time I didn't know it was art =P).

My long term goal right now is to keep at it for a few decades and become a complete artist. I'd like to reach a point where I can paint, sculpt, and animate at an extremely high level. Besides that, I try to enjoy the journey because it's likely to be a long one.

Yea, I'd love to get into this skype group you speak of. I am a bit late to the party though since I just started using skype like 2 weeks ago.
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    I want to do something fun for a living. I also want to see my work in cool games and show it to my nephew, to be a cool uncle.
    As for actual goals: build portfolio and get a job
  • Popol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popol interpolator
    Having a job that I love so much that I look forward to the next day of work.
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    solving new problems almost every day and doing "real" art for a living.

also someday i want to be commissioned to do a really big, epic renaissance or soviet style monument.
  • beefaroni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    beefaroni sublime tool
    Hmm. Great idea for a thread. Looking forward to seeing some more responses!!
  • Two Listen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    I don't want to wake up every morning and drive away from my wife and home. That's really the main one. Freelance art would allow me to work at something I enjoy while being close to the things in my life that are most important to me, all the time. I also want to eventually be able to choose where I live - not a large city, somewhere that really suits me. Somewhere with mountains perhaps.

There's not much else that would allow for those same possibilities. Additionally, I don't seem to be able to get away from it. I've even had periods where I don't do much art for several weeks, or even months, but it's this constant itch I need to scratch, and I seem to improve even if I'm not actively drawing or painting - and then I have things I want to try, more things I want to learn and absorb.

As a whole, it honestly feels like I have very little choice in the matter. Just feels like something I have to do, and it very conveniently could lead to the only type of lifestyle I think would make me truly happy.
  • Waterbear
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    3D art makes me happy. It's so simple, I know. I thought I wanted to work in games and did for a little bit (tiny studio). Then I got laid off and hurt my arm.

I took a job doing graphic design since I could still use a mouse despite being unable to use a Wacom. I use the pen in the left and mouse in the right. The pay and hours are leaps and bounds better.

However, I always missed 3D art, so I worked on fixing my arm. Recently, I've been able to use my arm for hours a day. I feel "correct" again. It just makes me happy.

I think I'll always want to do some sort of 3D but I don't really care what industry it's in. Right now, it'll be medical.

I'm just grateful to be able to try. :)
  • Fwap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap polycounter lvl 13
    komaokc wrote: »
    Just getting included in the Polycount recap would be awesome though.

On a side-note, where is this skype group and who's dick do I have to suck to get an invite?

If one day i was good enough to be in the recap, i think i'd break down and cry.

Also my dick, I don't have the skype group but you don't have to know that ;)

My driving goal behind doing game art is to one day worth for Bethesda, especially on an Elder Scrolls title, i think Morrowind set me over the edge to peruse this career with the TES construction kit.
    Working on a title with so much love and devotion to lore and realism, if that aint the dopest shit conceivable, i don't know what is.
  • Mask_Salesman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    Altho it's good to make short term goals like the Recap, you've gotta make sure that 'kind' of drive isn't your only and or main drive. There needs to be a deeper stronger self drive than just ego stroking or 'get a job at xy AAA studio', Other wise your gonna get very lost when those goals are met.

The working env is what I enjoy, not making just art as some throwaway gear in a machine but actually having input in creating a game and doing that with colleges I see as friends. No matter how stressful it maybe at times it is still that at its core, which is better than any other job. Ego stroking is still good tho :D