Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

ohnoes a wild portfolio appears

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
Rikard86 polycounter lvl 5
I've been told I should remake my portfolio from scratch so I thought I'd just throw my stuff here and see if there is something I can salvage while getting any kind of new tips.

Here's the link: http://riccardomorgia.info/
Stuff after the first page is really old so venture at your danger.

pls destroy at your own leisure

Replies

• LMP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    I'll start out with what I like.

The forms of your characters are good (at least to my environment artist eyes), Your topology looks solid and you can definitely model.

Your materials could use some work, they are all very shiny, they lack subtle variation that really conveys material. Your textures are need better material definition.

Now, about your site in general. Change the white background to something grey. You also have too many images of each model, just present us with the best few images, maybe 2 or 3 beauty shots max, and some breakdowns. The more images you show us the easier it is to find flaws, also, we're less likely to look through them all. Don't give us dates, we don't need to know how long you took.

Also, this might help for your website
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The layout seems more like a blog than a proper portfolio. I'd lose the entire right column and replace it with a simpler navigation system - either a single set of options on the left or a menu right under the title banner. I'd also lose the line at the bottom of each project (the ones beginning with "Posted In").

The faces of your characters seem very similar; the second & third characters' faces are almost identical. Add some variety; non-Asian females, males, etc.

Keep in mind that you will be judged by your weakest piece. Quality is much more important than quantity in a portfolio; cull everything except your top 3-4 pieces.
  • Rikard86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @LMP: thanks for that link, it really helps. About the materials I'm always afraid that making the variation layers too high might result in the texture looking silly, guess I'll see what I can salvage on my current stuff and be a bit bolder from now on.

(funnily enough I went and cranked up the visibility of the skin variation on one of those characters by a bit and she already looks better, so yeah.)

@DWalker: it *might* be because I'm using Wordpress, and I'm not too practical with it.I'll dwelve a bit deeper into the options and see how (and if) I can add those features, otherwise I might have to scrap the whole site.

Heads still give me a bit of trouble when it comes to make them unique (oh god, the pudding), I tried a different method on my third character so that might why she looks different.

tyvm for your comments, keep'em coming
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    Use an actual website-- Blog layout hides entire sets of your work, and beyond that dates your work and looks unprofessional. Just start over with a layout that was made for portfolios, and make sure to go through and delete items that don't portray your current skill level.

As for your content, perhaps try to show that you can so stuff other than fairly plain conventionally attractive females. LMP is right, the materials really need more variation (in things like the normals and the gloss/spec, too, not just the diffuse).

You could probably stand to show your maps. You also need to work on your facial anatomy a bit more. The forms of your Seiko piece are kind of flat and a little odd, and it seems to be because you don't have a great grasp of what's going on to cause those forms. Once you do some more study in that area and really understand it, you'll probably find that being able to make characters that look different/have different facial features will come more naturally. Maybe some sculptures that you don't really take beyond just the block out? Just to help you understand the planes of the face and the underlying muscle structure a bit more.

Ref: https://www.anatomy4sculptors.com/

And these renders on that neutral grey background aren't very flattering, you need to work on your lighting and at least use a gradient (I'd actually suggest more post-processing and a different color entirely but that's up to you in the end).

PS, not sold on the metallic paints. Try making it non-metallic, maybe... The paint may be on the metal, but that doesn't make it metallic. :)
  • Rikard86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @BagelHero: do you have some quick pointers for the problems on Seiko's head? Although I think I can already see a few by looking at A4S I'd like a second opinion to check if what I'm seeing is right.

BTW I already came across that site when I was looking for hand references and it was a game changer in that regard, guess I have to look deeper.

Oh, here's the same piece with a bit of color variation and the speculars changed around. I didn't completely remove the specular from the paint since I wanted a car-paint effect, but you guys were kind of right as it looked a bit silly.
    Does she look better? You tell me, I'm the one that can't figure this out. :p
  • BagelHero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BagelHero interpolator
    It's a bit better, kinda just not my style I think, but a fair bit more acceptable in general now. :)

I wrote up a really long reply and lost it, I'm sorry.
    Blunt Bullet Points instead. Hope you don't mind.
    SLog3Cmt.png
    GaX7iuf2.png

1. Epicanthic folds
    Seiko's eyes are weird-- they slant upwards at the outer corners, but they appear to have typically western folds (or none, it's hard to discern). That's the opposite of what you want, as east-asian eyes have stronger folds coming from the inner corner instead of the outer (known as an epicanthic fold).
    Ref:
    http://www.behairstyles.com/pictures/Short-Japanese-Haircut-With-Bangs.jpg
    https://welshjapanotaku.files.wordpress.com/2011/05/ayase_haruka2.jpg

Additionally, she's missing her caruncle. It's wigging me out, reminds me of those bead eyes that you put in Ball Joint Dolls.
    lacrimal-caruncle.jpg

Overall definition is a bit wobbly-- I get that she's fairly stylized, but... the forms are a bit all over the place. Try to really get intimate with the Planes of the Face.

2. Key Overhangs

m_9619714_anatomy.jpg

She has a hell of an underbite, while also having a receeding jawline. Kinda unappealing. See above for ideal insets for upper/lower lips and eyelids.

3. misc.
    In regards to previously mentioned receeding jawline, I feel her chin should be a little more shapely. Her ears are also quite flat to her head (though I can see this is partially FOV issues, which you should fix btw) and a bit far back. Her skull is also a bit tall + not far enough back. Hard to tell with that FOV, but see the redline.
    An additional note, a number of the facial features here are very... flat. Like, they're on a flat plane. Facial features conform to the skull, so they're very curved/fitted to the shape.
    See this:
    m_6263229_anatomy.jpg

Finally, my interpretation of what her face/head could look like (with toony eyes because it's getting late).
    1HA8CYL5.pngx7hKVMNZ.png

There's a thousand other ways to go about faces, a million different things you can approach uniquely, but I think with a little more study and work, you could do so much better than what you're doing right now. And what you have right now isn't bad mind you, I just think that you have more potential.

Keep it up, hope to see you progress (maybe post WIP projects here, those threads are always good). :)
  • Rikard86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just went and applied some of your suggestions, although they don't make much of a visible difference since it's a bit late into the workflow to do some of those fixes (although the inclusion of the caruncle alone changed her look a lot).
    Her epicanthic fold is baked into the normal map and I don't know how much I can work on that since the sculpt now differs from the lowpoly cage quite a bit and rebaking it might make it look weird (I might just overlay it after drawing it as a bump map, but idk about that).

And yep, the ears weren't visible because of the FOV, lol. Here's her fixed head with the correct FOV:
    UpHnlOw.jpg

And here's a turnaround of her head with the same FOV as the old one so you can compare.

New:
    5UZ5nRK.jpg

Old:
    Vz89fPF.jpg

Guess it's time to transfer the rig to her fixed head, fix the materials up a bit, redo the renders and call it a day.
  • Rikard86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    By the way, I changed the layout of my portfolio, I'm still trying to customize it so that it doesn't look like crap but I think this one works much better to showcase my stuff.
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Ok, gonna be brutally honest. While you definitely show some ability, I don't think these characters hold up well enough for you to use them in a folio. It depends on what kind of jobs you are going for, but IMO, they aren't good enough to get you a gig. Mostly because the anatomy seems off...they seem cartoony but not really. You aren't hitting any kind of style...it's certainly not realistic and it's not stylized. I think you should go back and work on your facial anatomy as well. The body proportions look ok but I'm guessing if you sculpted a nude, it would have problems, no offense. It will be WAY more work to try and salvage these then to just start something new and improve from there. This may sound harsh, but I think it's your best bet if you are serious about pursuing character art. Go back and really start focusing on anatomy sculpts. Once you are more proficient at that, do a character...and pick a style. If you're going realistic, sculpt a lot of detail into your models and get it looking as real as possible. If you're going stylized, maybe look to push proportions and take a stab and hand painted textures. And when I say "push proportions" that doesn't mean you can break the fundamental rules of anatomy. I see way too many people confuse "stylized" with "doesn't need to be anatomically correct." You have ability so I have no doubt you are capable of taking it up a notch. Good luck!
  • Rikard86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ^Don't worry, I'm used to rejection.

Yeah, I think it's pretty obvious that anatomy isn't my strong point and that I really should work on it. Thing is that I don't like overly realistic creations and I really dislike extremely cartoonish stuff, so I'm kind of caught in the middle which means I have to both learn anatomy and learn when it's too much.
    It's not exactly an easy task but I'm working on it.

Thanks for your honest opinion.
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Rikard86, do you have any examples of the style of character you like, so we can get an idea of what you're aiming for?
  • Rikard86
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Borderlands, Bioshock Infinite and the more human-like characters from otherwise cartoony games like Samus and Snake from Smash Bros, but I'm more trying to find my own as opposed to something already existing