Home General Discussion

Maquettes as concepts

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
Makkon polycounter
I'm sure everyone has seen the maquettes Joel Emslie did for titanfall. I think this is an amazing approach, and I would really love to try my hand at doing that too. There isn't a lot of information that I could find on his approach, just some basics. I'd love to know more about his materials, workflow, hardware. Does anyone know where I can start?

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PWgByQiDhpE"]Designing The Titans of Titanfall - YouTube[/ame]

Kitbash-Line-up-01.jpg
140429_JE_Atlas_Maquette.jpg
1330493b2d28f8a7809e3620053f80ec.jpg

Replies

• Will Faucher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Will Faucher polycounter lvl 12
    While this is undoubtedly really cool, I don't think this is a realistic approach for most game dev pipelines. This seems to me like the actual cost and time required would be significantly higher than just hiring a concept artist for 2D sketches, or even zbrush concept work.

And that doesn't even take into consideration the cost of materials...
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Very valid point. Maybe not the best approach for production work, although for functionality sake it makes perfect sense.

If not for any other reason, I'd love to try making some because I think they are totally rad.
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I think this approach is especially viable in a small, tight-knit team environment with maybe just one concept artist (probably also the lead/AD) doing whatever he/she wants, with maybe an assistant in charge in cleaning up pictures of the model and coloring them. (wild guess here !) Respawn being a rather fresh entity, this might actually be the case ...

I think a bigger studio would have too many "cooks in the kitchen", asking for a lot of revisions and rounds of approval until things are supposedly perfect, which would make this approach impossible to maintain (sadly).

Something similar was done on the boss characters of MGS4. There is a picture floating around showing the maquettes being used. If I remember correctly it is shown near the end of the art book.

Regarding how to tackle it in practice : I would think that he ordered a lot of 1/6 scale military parts and combined them. There is a whole niche market for such action figure accessories :

http://www.soldierstory-toys.com/

The mech parts and the armor plating of the soldier seem to be made of sheet styrene (very easy to work with/sand/glue/heat/bend) like Plastruct.

http://www.plastruct.com/
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    May as well just had the concept team do 3d models. Most concept artists I know of nowadays are all quite proficient in either Max or Maya.

These are definitely badass, but the time investment seems out of scale.
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    I would say not necessarily, especially if it is just one guy in charge - as that means that close to no revisions will be requested ...
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Wow! Great information, thanks Pior and TeriyakiStyle!

I got a good feeling about that plastruct material. Their ordering and everything seems old and outdated, but they probably sell through other retailers like Amazon. I love the fact that you can heat and bend it. That's very promising. Man this sounds like so much fun.
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Yeah - you can find it all over the US in brick and mortar hobby stores, and many online hobby stores carry it too :)

When it comes to gluing Plastruct panels together, you can use a special glue that pretty much melts/welds the styrene for a perfect fit. But of course superglue will work great too and might be faster and more practical in some cases.
  • seth.