Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

End of year environment project.

polycounter lvl 13
Offline / Send Message
Fwap polycounter lvl 13
Hey PC

My and a fellow classmate are starting our 2 month long end of year school project.

We've opted to do an environment inside of UE4.

We are balls deep in the pre-production stage at the moment, but I thought i'd make a thread to get some crits on this project early seeing how, speaking for myself, pre-production has always been my biggest down fall, and has screwed me up royally in past projects.

So drop some juicy pre-production knowledge bombs on us.

About our design brief;
An Ancient celestial space station, since been deserted.
A central hub for sentient beings to traverse through the universe.
So basically an ancient space port with heavy ties to time travel / ward drives ect.

We both have a POI that we want to work on, incase the environment is a flop we can still salvage a portfolio piece out of it.
Mine, an Orrery , the device that controls space time.
My Class mate's A Giant gear controlled door as a means of entering the central structure of the space port.

As i'm writing this out i can already tell its very vague, and what i can visualize is eluding me at the moment, probably my lack of pre production skills i was talking about already shining on through haha.

We have a pinterest board with a whole bunch of concepts that are inspiring this environment.
http://www.pinterest.com/fortheweekend/school-project/

We are taking a lot of inspiration from the Darksiders series, Gothic Architecture and mixing it up with a bit of sci fi ( powered lights, cables, pipes)

We have some thumbnails, i'll post them later as they aren't on my home PC yet.

Here is a rough as guts concept
TkDWpGl.jpg

And the door concept from Ash
bossdoorconcept.jpg

Still trying to nut some stuff out, like the flow of the environment, how the structure sits in the environment ect.

I know its a huge TL;DR with not much to go on right now, but we are basically going to be working on this flat knacker for the next 2 months so updates will be coming shortly.

Thanks for reading this far haha.

-Joel

Replies

• freddie27117
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice work. Also the door concept is awsome! You should add some Windows to the building at the back but somehow make them look futuristic. Just a idea though :)
  • Kel-Shaded
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kel-Shaded polycounter lvl 6
    It's looking pretty sexy, I'd live there
    Is it open in space, or is it going to be encapsulated???
  • Fwap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap polycounter lvl 13
    Sorry for the lack of updates.

We've hit a snag, We where writing the schedule and asset list and came to the conclusion that this is too over scoped, we won't pull it off in 2 months.

So we are in the process of down scaling the idea, hopefully we will have some blockouts / thumbnails tonight.
  • Fwap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap polycounter lvl 13
    A little update:

We've come to the conclusion that our original concept was way over scoped.

We've dropped the concept down to about 2 focal areas.

This is our current blockout thus far.

t3ijdwX.png
    The orrery still needs to be refined.

But we've started working on some content also

I'm setting up some base materials in substance designer to speed up our texturing workflow.

Steel (I'm looking at the dints now and thinking they might be over the top, but wondering if because its stylized i can get away with it)
    APQWC0r.png
    Stone
    tRdM0eQ.png
    Rust
    ULV1DlY.png
    and the rust blended with the steel
    oVxPiQr.png

Ash has been working on a few sculpts and concepts
    J8oHDxp.png

and some rune concepts we are in the process of turning into alphas for zbrush
    SMen7ZY.png

Sorry for the cluster-fuck of images, but we want to get as much help from you guys here and capitalize on the wealth of knowledge you guys have.